• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I need a list of the good to great ones... I am not interested in flimsy junk as it will be in my Wilderness Search and Rescue Pack

Thanks.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I really like my ESEE lite machete. Not sure you need to spend $65 on a machete but it was cheaper than some of the others I have.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    DON"T WASTE MONEY ON AN ESEE MACHETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are 2-3 times the price of the same machete from the company(imacasa) that makes them for esee. my next suggestion would be go here: The Best Place to Buy Machetes Online! basically any of the latin made machetes are GTG tramontina, imacasa, marbles, and hansa are all good and cheap.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Tyler has spoken Once brad and Shelia chime in this thread can be closed.

so no one else's knowledge is any good? i'm sure you were joking but still.

either way here is my opinion on the machete subject as i have a ton of them. if you really want a great machete that your going to use for extended periods of time you want a very comfortable handle. for a cheaper machete that still is good stuff look at condor's line. they have some very nice stuff w/ good handles for 30-50 bucks. the golok or parang would be a solid choice. the esee machete is more expensive than the others because it has some decent micarta handles on it vs the cheap uncomfortable plastic handles. another very good option is the blind horse machete and it comes set up with a nice kydex sheath also. i have a couple custom machetes but they were pretty expensive.

my 2 favorite machetes are my fiddleback forge custom. its 110 dollars shipped to your door. they have amazing contours and are crazy sharp. worth every penny imo. the other is my koyote bolochete. its a big beastly SOB with great contours also and completely hand forged. the only down side to the above 2 is the wait. but usually andy has some ready to ship.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I need a list of the good to great ones... I am not interested in flimsy junk as it will be in my Wilderness Search and Rescue Pack

Thanks.

Hey...I'm making one of those packs too! ;) I got a 12" Ontario orange handle that I'm modding and making a custom sheath. (Which, if it turns out janky, is going to grunt soldier for a pro job!. :yesway:)

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    i have bought 3 yes 3 ....S.O.G s from dicks for $19.99 each.retty good deal and sharp out of the package. i beet the heck out of 1 of them around the house trimming treas and bushes....it takes every thing i through at it!....

just my 2cents

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    All I can say is Blind Horse or Condor. As much as I love the ESEE knives I will stay with my 2 choices. ( same as grunt soldier) great minds think alike.:D

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    this is again my recommendation based off your wants, i suggested it earlier. its 18 incher and the handles feel like they are made for you. you can get the micarta in od green, black, natural canvas and one other i believe. i bet if you told andy what you were doing you could possibly get him to put file marks every inch to help you out. i believe he is caught up on the list and his batches are now going first come first serve.

The big boy 18" machete thread..

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    this is again my recommendation based off your wants, i suggested it earlier. its 18 incher and the handles feel like they are made for you. you can get the micarta in od green, black, natural canvas and one other i believe. i bet if you told andy what you were doing you could possibly get him to put file marks every inch to help you out. i believe he is caught up on the list and his batches are now going first come first serve.

The big boy 18" machete thread..

+1

I can say without a doubt, this is one sweet machete!

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Condor makes some good machetes, several different models to choose from. The El Salvador one that you have linked is the "classic" Latin style. Their Galok and Parang are pretty sweet looking styles too. Also check out the Ontario machetes. They use 1095 steel and have several different sizes and styles to choose from.

If you are looking to spend a bit more I would say to follow the others suggestions of the Blind Horse or the Fiddleback Forge.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

Thanks.
    Have you watched the Movie, Machette? You will get some good insight as to what works if you do.

I keep a BK1 Brute on my pack. Short and stout, and crazy cheap when I bought mine years ago.

Top Bottom