• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am thinking of picking one of these up for my first AK, and I want to know a couple things. I searched and it seems these are a pretty good AK, but it seems that there aren't a lot of them out there (at least for sale).

The particular rifle was imported in 1994, so it is post-ban, and I want to get it back to its intended configuration. It has the thumbhole stock, so I will need to change that out. The barrel has been turned down, so it will need to be re-threaded and a muzzle brake put on. If I'm reading correctly, I will need to be in 922r compliance once I do these two/three things. I know there are different ways of accomplishing this G2 trigger, US furniture, magazines, etc., as long as I have 6 US made parts.

What do you recommend to use as the 6 parts?
    Who re-threads barrels in the Indy area? How much will this cost?
    What is your overall impression of the Maadi RPM?
    Sling recommendations.
    Furniture recommendations.
    Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I basically want to bring this gun into its intended configuration, and want to know how much cash this is going to take. BTW, I am NOT going to make it "tacticool." I love the look of the classic AK with the wood furniture and iron sights.

Thanks.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'd buy an ironwood stock set (RPK) with AK74 hand guards, then finish it in an Iodine Red.

I'd switch out the trigger with tapco or red star.

I'd probably put a tapco slant brake on it.

I'd buy some ((10)) mags

Once another guy is done with my stuff i can help you or lend you the parts to thread your barrel.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd buy an ironwood stock set (RPK) with AK74 hand guards, then finish it in an Iodine Red.

I'd switch out the trigger with tapco or red star.

I'd probably put a tapco slant brake on it.

I'd buy some ((10)) mags

Once another guy is done with my stuff i can help you or lend you the parts to thread your barrel.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the items you suggested. I may take you up on the offer for the threading of the barrel, depending on how far of a drive it is. You are very kind. I am a complete noob when it comes to AKs (this will be my first). Just out of curiosity, what do you think this is worth? What do you think about the quality? Thanks again, this kind of generosity is what makes INGO so great.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Howdy neighbor!

The RPM is a nice long barrel version of the AKM built in Egypt by Maadi using Soviet tooling. That makes the Maadi a very desirable rifle in itself. While they were never the prettiest AKMs, they are still very nice, and worth doing what you plan. Just save the old parts in the event you ever decide to sell it.

As vitamink said, an Ironwood Design stock set would be perfect, giving you three US parts. Ad a Tapco or Redstar fire control group and you have your parts count down to 9 imported. The barrel can be threaded to the US standard 1/2x28 right hand giving you many brake choices, all angelically US made.

Prices for RPMs have been going up, and if you check Gunbroker, there have been some listed lately. If I remember correctly they have been selling for between $500 and $600 give or take.

asassine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2015
    Dallas
    I own ARM and RPM, ARM is more fun to shoot; however, the RPM is a tad more consistently accurate. Its a Maadi, you will love it!

Top Bottom