• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just picked up my first nagant at the 1500 in indy.. paid $90 dollars for it and its in great shape, all numbers match. however, it does not have a scope and i would like it to. should i get the original PU scope or get a more powerful scope. secondly, where can i buy the mounting hardware?

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    Congrats on the mosin nagant! I have been mulling over getting a PU myself. my reasoning being wanting to keep it looking stock and retaining the use of my iron sights. plus, it'll look original. just did a quick look on yahoo
    these are reproduction PU scopes. hope this helps

Products

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    im not a fan of scopes on mosins.iron sights are better in my opinion.i have a couple friends who have mosins set up with scopes.one has the one from i believe ati.you drill and tap the reciever for the mount then cut your bolt handle and screw on a bent bolt handle.the other has the mount that you put on your rear sight that you must use a long eye relief scope.my 2 cents is to leave it be.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I agree...They are very accurate with just the iron sights. I really couldn't see needing a scope unless you were targeting outside of 150 yards or so...IMHO.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I really couldn't see needing a scope unless you were targeting outside of 150 yards or so...IMHO.

This is why I scoped mine. Now I just need to go to a range where I can shoot those distances.:rolleyes: I would like to take this gun to Texas and do a hog hunt with it.
    IMG_0393.jpg

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I did the ATI Bolt and Mount with a scope on my 91/30. I would not do it again. Shoots more accurately with orginal sights and bayonnet attached, very accurate!
    If you want a 91/30 with a PU scope I would buy it that way. They can be had for $399 online

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have shot my 91/30 at 350 yards at a 2x2 steel plate and had no problem ringing in. We then shot at 3 litre soda bottles at the same distance and was able to hit a couple of those. By the way, did I mention that we only used iron sights. My buddy femurhpy was shooting one of his M1 garands. :bowdown:He did hit one or two more bottles than I did.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have found the M44 rifles good for up to 100 yards. Anything further they lose there accuracy. The 91/30's are great out to around 400 with open sights (if you can see that far). I do have one of my 91/30 set up with a scope off of the rear sight mount and hoping to get to shoot it at around 500 yds. I hope!

Last edited:

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    OK here's a little back ground. I bought the M44 in Feb. '06 off of a buddy. He already had the after market stock on it but gave me the original (he didn't have the top piece that goes over the barrel). After learning a little more about the gun I decided to go ahead with the scope mount. One way to look at it is not everyone can shoot the same gun the same way. Yes, I get a better satisfaction out of hitting a target with open sites but for what this gun was purchased for (yote hunting) a scope was the way to go. Fast forward to May '08 and I'm at an auction where a 91/30 goes on the block and I score it for $75. I wasn't really paying attention and never noticed that the original stock had been cut down until I picked it up afterwards. The one ring that was holding it together kept falling off plus the length of the stock didn't feel right. So earlier this year at the March 1500 I finally picked up a new stock for it. Now am I going to have this one scoped? I don't know. Maybe? I realize I could easily swap out parts with the 2 and reverse roles with them. Since these 2 guns will never see their original stocks again why not modify them a little more? If I end up with another Mosin will it go down the same road? NO. It will stay in its' original form. Now if INGO had existed in 2006 with the available info that is here along with opinions would the M44 gone through the scope mounting? A very good chance it still would've. Hope this clears some things up and to why that gun is in its' current state.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    OK here's a little back ground. I bought the M44 in Feb. '06 off of a buddy. He already had the after market stock on it but gave me the original (he didn't have the top piece that goes over the barrel). After learning a little more about the gun I decided to go ahead with the scope mount. One way to look at it is not everyone can shoot the same gun the same way. Yes, I get a better satisfaction out of hitting a target with open sites but for what this gun was purchased for (yote hunting) a scope was the way to go. Fast forward to May '08 and I'm at an auction where a 91/30 goes on the block and I score it for $75. I wasn't really paying attention and never noticed that the original stock had been cut down until I picked it up afterwards. The one ring that was holding it together kept falling off plus the length of the stock didn't feel right. So earlier this year at the March 1500 I finally picked up a new stock for it. Now am I going to have this one scoped? I don't know. Maybe? I realize I could easily swap out parts with the 2 and reverse roles with them. Since these 2 guns will never see their original stocks again why not modify them a little more? If I end up with another Mosin will it go down the same road? NO. It will stay in its' original form. Now if INGO had existed in 2006 with the available info that is here along with opinions would the M44 gone through the scope mounting? A very good chance it still would've. Hope this clears some things up and to why that gun is in its' current state.

If you like what you have, no need for any explanation. It is just my personal preference to go with a 91/30 and keept the WOOD!.
    Big thing is having fun shooting the flame throwing beast!:yesway:

zstep7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    West Indianapolis
    Rock Solid Mount is the way to go. It is pricey, and will need to be put on by a gunsmith. The gunsmith was also able to heat and form my existing bolt to work. That was on a Monte Carlo stock though. Google rock solid mount and you will find their website. It is worth the look.

Top Bottom