• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    t still would not be legal. Once a machinegun, always a machinegun.
    correct, if it was manufactured as such and marked M2 on the receiver. I was thinking of an M1(military conversion) marked receiver.
    FWIW---prior to the 86 ban you could register(Form 1) the trigger group for a carbine instead of the receiver.

Wonder what ever happened to all that stuff....
    Some of it still stashed, some got registered in 1968 during the amnesty period prior to the adoption of the GCA of 1968 and a bunch got Form oned in the subsequent years.

Steve

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Another sad thing is that obama-messiah just came out and said that a certain building has to be allowed to be built in New York City because of the first amendment says something about religious freedom. If that is the case, then ATF should have no problem because I am sure obama-messiah will allow you to keep that rifle based on the amendment after the first, that says our rights shall not be infringed.

I wish you had enough money to fight this and be able to not only keep a part of US history, but more important your family's legacy.

How is this even relevant? The building would be built regardless of the administration, unless the administration wanted to illegally detain and torture all those involved:popcorn:

I worry about a similar situation. My grandfather has mentioned take backs a few times, never admitting to actually taking any back, because the captain of his ship wouldnt allow it. However, the way he talks, there are probably some contraband weapons in that house somewhere. Unfortunately, his memory has started to go, and he cant even remember where he has hidden some of his legal firearms, much less something that could be contraband. If we were lucky enough to find something, it would be a shame to have it destroyed. So much history!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I laugh when people say it was destroyed but with some you know it is still around.....

Personally I think the BATFE finding out is a lot more of a risk then turning it in (would seel legal advice first)..... I would at least destroy the machine gun parts and call it a day. not worth the rist to me....... people talk about their gun rights but then talk about doing stupid things to get them taken away for life, huge fines, and huge jail time....

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    It is my understanding that you could have all the parts except the receiver to keep,as long as you do not have an M1 carbine, or to sell.
    As long as the receiver is turned over to ATF or it is simply destroyed, and I mean really destroyed.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    How is this even relevant?

It is relevant because if the government is going to follow one amendment to the letter, then it is only right they follow all amendments. There is no reason according to the supreme law of the land that the person who found the M2 should not be allowed to keep it as found.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Those who know me, or with whom I have spoke know my feelings on why one should have a machine gun. The Second Amendment has nothing to do with duck hunting. Hunting was a given for the Founders and not a right they would have perceived as needing to protect. The Second was to protect against tyranny. How are we to do so when the government conspires to limit our ability to shoot more than ten rounds in succession?

An M2 would be little protection against invasion of the sort that took place in New Orleans, but the right to own such a weapon should not be up to the determination of the ruling body. I would feel much more comfortable being in possession of a fully automatic rifle of which the government is unaware. How am I to protect myself from an illegal seizure of firearms stemming from an equally illegal order passed by an overzealous governor or president?

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I don't think so. And donate it to what? A museum? It still has to go to the BATF. Regardless, it's gone.

The whole situation with that M2 Carbine...unfortunate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I hate to play devils advocate, but all this talk of resisting the .gov is moot.

You could have a pair of MG34's mounted on an anti-aircraft tri-pod, and you STILL wouldn't be capable of resisting anybody's tyranny unless you happen to have 10,000 neighbors with similar capabilities.

As it stands, even if you can afford it, its pointless for the purposes your talking. The 1934 NFA act needs to be repealed.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I hate to play devils advocate, but all this talk of resisting the .gov is moot.

You could have a pair of MG34's mounted on an anti-aircraft tri-pod, and you STILL wouldn't be capable of resisting anybody's tyranny unless you happen to have 10,000 neighbors with similar capabilities.

As it stands, even if you can afford it, its pointless for the purposes your talking. The 1934 NFA act needs to be repealed.

Amen! Im not suggesting anyone prepare for a government over throw, its just a stupid law. You already have to undergo a background check for any dealer purchase of a firearm, going through a more in depth one with a crap load more paperwork and $200 in taxes is just asinine.

As you said, we dont really have the power to resist tyranny. Modern weapons have developed a little to much. We would just have to pray for allies to assist in a resistance. Personally, I think such talk shouldnt be uttered by ANYONE interested in NFA items, because that just makes the antis think we are crazed militia bent on being able to over throw the government. In reality, we are just gun nuts and gun hobbyists who want to further our hobby. Nothing wrong with that.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The full auto parts can be removed, and the m2 receiver destroyed and replaced with a $125 m1 receiver, and you will then have a legal family heirloom. The only part that is a machine-gun, and that has to be destroyed, is a receiver that is stamped m2. One benefit of donating the weapon to a museum is that it could be a charitable donation ( for tax purposes) at full retail value.

Top Bottom