• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The biggest cost is the receiver. It is the heart of the M1A and you can just make them cheaply. A good receiver will last a lifetime and shoot thousands of rounds and stay in spec. The iron sights are military type peep sights and are good for man sized targets within combat ranges and target shooting within reasonable ranges. I have a Super Match from 89', a Loaded with NM bbl and sights from 97' and a Scout. I've never had a FTF or FTE with any of them and whenever I go shoot people ask me about them. There are some nice 7.62mm battle rifles out there but to me nothing beats the feel of steel and wood and the M14/M1A is the battle rifle of choice. It's sorta like the 1911 in a way, every time people claim it's dead it comes back to center ring. IMHO YMMV :twocents:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Theres an older thread where I hot linked a Guns and Ammo test where they used different bolt guns in varying calibers and 24"-26" barrels and cut them down .5" each time, recrowned and tested out to 300yds.... the 18"-20" tubes performed the best....???

Spare parts (back when they were cheap and I was building them up) and tool kit:

M14Parts.jpg

m14kit001.jpg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    All I know its sure is fun to shoot, espicially down to 740 yds at a steel plate, and even more so with tracers and seeing the weld flash as it hits.......and then the distant ding.

Love my Fed. Ord. with USGI parts....hit a baseball every shot at 240 yds with the cheap German MEN ammo....should of bought more cause it seems they are all out....80.00 for 200 rds that was super accurate was a great deal.
    picture.php

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMO, I have the "wants" for an M-14, but no cash..... I am a reloader, so I would opt for the 22" bbl. The reason, the extra length, would give you more options, for slow powders..... JMO, YMMV ..... :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yeah, LRB seems to be the rage on the M14 Forum. My Springfield M1As have never let me down so I'll stick with them for now. What surprises me is that Canada still imports all the Chinese made M14s, 1911s and other guns made by Norinco. I wish they imported them here.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    All I know its sure is fun to shoot, espicially down to 740 yds at a steel plate, and even more so with tracers and seeing the weld flash as it hits.......and then the distant ding.

Love my Fed. Ord. with USGI parts....hit a baseball every shot at 240 yds with the cheap German MEN ammo....should of bought more cause it seems they are all out....80.00 for 200 rds that was super accurate was a great deal.
    picture.php

Nice setup, what are details on the scope and mount??

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In my mind, the M1a is not a gun I would use to clear a building with. However, It is a rifle I would use to take a long rang precise shot.

So in my opinion I would get the longest barrel I could for the increases sight radius and velocity, both of which will help downrange performance.

It depends on how you clear the building! With today's flimsy buildings and structures. I would simply pop in a mag of 20 and start shooting thru the walls. Try THAT with 5.56.

Here is mine.

I am a fiddler, and mine started life a a used formerly scoped black synthetic Standard in BRADIS for $1209 to the door.

When the previous owner took his scope off, he never replaced the stripper clip guide, so I put that on.

I replaced the SAI flash hider with a Bayonet Lugged one. I use the bayonet lug for my Bayonet and to launch rifle grenades.

While I was doing that I put on a Smith Ent USGI NM front sight.

I got tired of the flexi polymer stock, so I put on a nice Numrich Walnut USGI stock.

I replaced the operating rod spring guide with a Sadlak.

I dug up some USGI M1 garand parts so I put in an USGI IHC Hammer and safety, SA USGI m1 garand trigger and hammer spring plunger group, and a SA USGI Garand extractor.

I will probably keep tinkering with it. LOL

IMG00433.jpg

Here I am shooting it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBMCcgJ1Xo

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Lock n Load, the set up is a Bassett Machine high Picanny rail mount, its amazing one bolt lock down. Cheap 6.00 low mount rings from Big R...lol but they work great an seem to be pretty solid. Nikon Prostaff 3X9 power lifetime warranty, it has the BDC which is nice to use for 220, 350 an 540 range at the range......could use a more powerful scope for the 740. I hold over at where the thick part of the crosshair comes to a point with the thinner crosshair......lol......but its spot on.
    picture.php

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I had an 18 in. SA but had lots of function probs with a variety of ammo. Three trips back to SA did not fix the functioning probs. With support from the LGS and the SA sales rep, SA swapped me for a loaded, 22in. wood stock. It has been perfect. It is my favorite long gun.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Lock n Load, the set up is a Bassett Machine high Picanny rail mount, its amazing one bolt lock down. Cheap 6.00 low mount rings from Big R...lol but they work great an seem to be pretty solid. Nikon Prostaff 3X9 power lifetime warranty, it has the BDC which is nice to use for 220, 350 an 540 range at the range......could use a more powerful scope for the 740. I hold over at where the thick part of the crosshair comes to a point with the thinner crosshair......lol......but its spot on.
    picture.php

I thought it looked like a Basset due to the large radiius on each end of the mount. Ive used ARMS and Sadlak with great results, never the Basset but Ive never heard anything bad about them.

Thanks for the info, and a great looking M14 type....

Top Bottom