• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Want INGOs opinion on these 2 fine rifles you know pros and cons. Both would have Walnut stocks. Im unsure about mounting optics as of now but I may at a later time. I sort of like the old school M14 look but That scout squad has some real appeal to it. It will basically be a range gun for me as I feel 308 in a 10 lb rifle is a bit much for HD lol. I already have an AR, AK and a M1. I want to go to a bit bigger Round than the AR or AK plus I love that action.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I had to make the same choice last summer and went with the scout squad. I just preferred the handling and look of the shorter barrel. Some people don't like the forward scope mount, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Having owned many, many M1As over the years my favorite is the Bush length. I took the forward mount off of a Scout rifle thus making it a Bush Rifle.

Ive found that up to 200- 300 yds the 18.5" barreled Bush rifle outshoots my 22" Standard and Loaded configurations. All of my 22" barrels on the standard rifles are USGI too.

The shorter rifle also handles quicker, a touch lighter and just feels right (correct length and balance).

Its the rifle on the right in my avatar..... and its our favorite main battle rifle.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have a standard M1A and my brother has the Scout.
    I've read the optimum barrel length for these Is 18", but I prefer the full size.
    I will say shooting the 2 we have, the scout has more recoil and is alot louder.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hopefully this is not an issue for you now and it won't be in the future, but it may be something to check for.
    With my eyes the full lenght gun and iron sights work aok and it is just plain fun to shoot.
    I can't bring the front sight on the shorter gun into focus.
    If I could justify keeping my full length version and adding a carbine length gun with optics that would be way cool.

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I went with the scout squad and love it. The muzzle blast was awful, so I swapped the brake out for a standard flash hider. If you go that route you have to use one that is neutered or you will have to take it off each time you need to remove the gas plug.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Want INGOs opinion on these 2 fine rifles you know pros and cons. Both would have Walnut stocks. Im unsure about mounting optics as of now but I may at a later time. I sort of like the old school M14 look but That scout squad has some real appeal to it. It will basically be a range gun for me as I feel 308 in a 10 lb rifle is a bit much for HD lol. I already have an AR, AK and a M1. I want to go to a bit bigger Round than the AR or AK plus I love that action.

There's no right or wrong answer.
    Just get the one you like best.

I've always had a personal preference for the M14/M1A with the standard 22 inch barrel.
    It's good for the range, but in the times you take it out to the countryside, you get the maximum "reach out" performance with the full length barrel.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I think you will be equally happy with either. Hard, but fun, decision to make. Personally, I would choose the classic full length rifle. You can shoot something close with a long barrel, no issue. Popping something further with less barrel is where the problems comes in. BUT, both of these guns are nice and would do the trick!

Top Bottom