• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    What is the practical accuracy of the FAL with the machined picatinny mount rail?
    Well when I had it I could hit a steel plate with it easily at 200 yards. 300 yd was a bit of a challenge. The problem was the muzzle brake. Imagine yourself standing at the end of a 120 mm M1 tank gun. And then they fire it five times. That's almost what it was like. The resulting fireball from that break could be seen from orbit.

I actually had bought a barrel from DSA and I had every intentions of changing it out but I could find no one locally that could do it and I really didn't want to ship everything. So I ended up selling it.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    For those of you with the SOCOM 16s, are you happy with that barrel length or do you find yourselves wishing you went longer? I can't kick the idea that I need an M1A in my life (already have a couple of Garands), but am not sure what barrel length I want.
    I bought it knowing that it was a limited gun with limited range. It's nice having something that's 308 that is that size. If I want to reach out and touch something beyond, say 200 yd or maybe 250 yd, I will grab my full size M1A. With my Socom setup I can hit a 60% reducted IPSC profile steel plate at 200 yards if I do my part. 300 yd is a bit more of a challenge. The last time I tried it I hit the target and maybe 20% of the time.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I bought it knowing that it was a limited gun with limited range. It's nice having something that's 308 that is that size. If I want to reach out and touch something beyond, say 200 yd or maybe 250 yd, I will grab my full size M1A. With my Socom setup I can hit a 60% reducted IPSC profile steel plate at 200 yards if I do my part. 300 yd is a bit more of a challenge. The last time I tried it I hit the target and maybe 20% of the time.
    Thanks for the response, it helps quite a bit with putting things into perspective. If you could only have one, would you keep the 16" or the full-size?

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Thanks for the response, it helps quite a bit with putting things into perspective. If you could only have one, would you keep the 16" or the full-size?

Oh wow that's a tough question. I would probably go for the full size. I like the traditional look of the full size so that's always been my favorite nothing wrong with a 16 inch but I would probably go with that one. Plus I have a shorter PTR 91 that can fill that gap if I had to over the SOCOM

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I can't kick the idea that I need an M1A in my life (already have a couple of Garands), but am not sure what barrel length I want.
    The reason you cannot kick the idea is because it is true, you really do need an M1a in your life. A good one. A full size one. The M14 is too big, and too heavy for a carbine. You want one like the rifle team armorer would issue you. You want the whole experience. You need one.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The reason you cannot kick the idea is because it is true, you really do need an M1a in your life. A good one. A full size one. The M14 is too big, and too heavy for a carbine. You want one like the rifle team armorer would issue you. You want the whole experience. You need one.
    We actually had two in the armory at work for a while...an H&R and a Winchester. Both USGI with the fun switch disabled. We had them through the LESO program and returned all of that stuff a few years ago (that was a fun paperwork experience, let me tell you!), but I had them both to the range a couple of times and that H&R in particular was a real sweetheart. It makes me kinda sad to think what probably happened to them when they got back to Anniston.

I've almost bought one a couple of times since, but they're expensive, the commercial Springfield's I've handled aren't quite as nice, and I keep arguing with myself that it wouldn't be that much different then my Garands. But despite all the logic, I just can't make the want go away, lol. Then I start questioning if it doesn't make sense to get a shorter one just to have something different...but that full-length rifle really calls to me, and 99% of the shooting I'd do with it would just be paper at the range, so the heavier gun isn't really a drawback, and the longer sight radius is appealing.

It's an internal struggle that one day I'm probably going to lose...but actually win since I'll end up with a new rifle, lol!

Reactions: Leo

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    could go with the scout version and a 18" barrel. I've had full size and now the scout. Ya can't go wrong with either.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    could go with the scout version and a 18" barrel. I've had full size and now the scout. Ya can't go wrong with either.
    Yeah, I've considered that, too...and mounting a scout scope on one would be interesting, and a nice contrast to my iron-sighted Garands. I've never shot a short-barreled variant, so at this point it's all just ideas bouncing around in my head with no real frame of reference.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Yeah, I've considered that, too...and mounting a scout scope on one would be interesting, and a nice contrast to my iron-sighted Garands. I've never shot a short-barreled variant, so at this point it's all just ideas bouncing around in my head with no real frame of reference.
    My SOCOM came with the scout rail, which I promptly ditched.

I hate scout scope setups.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My SOCOM came with the scout rail, which I promptly ditched.

I hate scout scope setups.
    Just in general, or was there something about it on the M1A that you specifically didn't like? Like I said, I've never shot one, but my thought process has always been that it would have some distinct advantages on this platform due to the design of the action.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Just in general, or was there something about it on the M1A that you specifically didn't like? Like I said, I've never shot one, but my thought process has always been that it would have some distinct advantages on this platform due to the design of the action.
    I'm just not a fan of rails that far forward.

Old eyes.

Plus the socom barrel gets very hot...that rail acts like a heat sink.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Plus the socom barrel gets very hot...that rail acts like a heat sink.
    good to know...I hadn't considered that!

I had an interesting observation the other day shooting my Garand and 03A3. When picking up brass, empties from the bolt gun can be comfortably collected pretty much immediately. But even slow-fire out of the Garand, and after going through a full clip, they'll all still burn your fingers when you go to pick them up. Exact same load.

That system transfers a LOT of heat, and I'm not really sure why, as the gas system interacts with the piston way out at the end of the barrel nowhere near the chamber.

Top Bottom