• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    If the law is restricting external magazines then it shouldn't be but if it restricts internal magazines then should be. But there are clips for thr Garand that hold less than 8 rounds.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Isn't speeding illegal, not putting money in the parking meter, or parking on the fire lane, but we all do it

What a rebel.....You are on the list.:):

As I read it, the NY law says magazine. It doesn't specify internal or external. Of course, we all know clips are not magazines, but "they" have used the terms interchangeably for years. Could this be why?

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    If the law is restricting external magazines then it shouldn't be but if it restricts internal magazines then should be. But there are clips for thr Garand that hold less than 8 rounds.
    Yes. They make 5-round clips specifically for hunting in states that limit hunting rifles to 5-rounds. They also make clips that hold only 2 rounds. When used with a standard clip, it gives you the 10 rounds for a marksmanship competition. There is also a SLED -- Single Load Enhancement Device. It allows you to easily operate the Garand as a single shot rifle.

546280.JPG

5-Round Clip

M1D_2_RROUND_CLIPS_001.JPG

2-Round Clip

SLED_clip1.jpg

SLED

Without a clip, the M1 is a single shot weapon, so the magazine can only hold as many rounds as the clip can hold.

Last edited:

Balmo130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I believe u can have 7+ round magazines, but only load 7 rounds legally. Doesn't make sense, let alone not sure how the will monitor that. Glad I'm in IN

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Good luck loading an 8 round garand clip with only 7 and not have problems...LOL

Load 8, chamber it, and you are good to go. If the law says magazines (i.e., not clips), then they can't do anything about having a full 8 in your pocket either.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Load 8, chamber it, and you are good to go. If the law says magazines (i.e., not clips), then they can't do anything about having a full 8 in your pocket either.

Or perhaps the law will say "clips" and only the legendary Garand will be banned.

I think the Mannlicher clips only hold 5 or 6, and they are bolts anyway so they should be okay.

I know, letter of the law wishful thinking..... Not sure how any gun owners can stay in Chicago or NY. I'd give notice and move elsewhere.

Of course, I also not sure my gun manufacturers stay in states hostile toward them.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Word coming from New Yorkers in other forums is that the law applies to "detachable magazines". Still a little uncertainty if the law is intended to mean that no gun is allowed to have more than 7 seven rounds in it or not.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm ignorant of NY laws in general: Does "The Government" know / keep track of all weapons purchases in the state?

As in - I'm sure that the government knows, for the most part, who owns guns (due to various licensing/permitting schemes, etc) - do they know WHAT is owned?

I'm sure the more astute can see where I'm going with this...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    From what I read is that all clips and magazines that can hold over 8 rds. will be illegal. You can't have a 30 rd. AR mag and only put 7 rds. in it......illegal and will be a Class A felony. So the Garand en bloc clips that hold 8 will be illegal. Think of all the sealed CMP Greek cans of ammo that have pre loaded en bloc clips.....you will have to sell it out of state, or open it up and unload and get rid of the clips, as possesion is a Felony. The question is what are NY resident going to do......?

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Sit back and take it up the turd cutter since the entire state is run by limosine liberals from Manhattan.

Or move....(but most will take your suggestion)

I would have put in my resignation papers and packed the U-haul the day they signed it. Destination....not NY.....or IL.

Top Bottom