• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    The 1500 is next weekend... Is there any chance one will be there worth a darn that wont be way over priced?! Lol.. So whos going with me that can help me find one?! Any takers:ingo:

Last edited:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Whats a good peice of advice I can give someone selling this rifle?

not sure he knows what he may have..

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I believe the M 2 version is fully automatic, and as such, must be registered. Even if it currently has semi-automatic parts, the receiver is still contraband unless registered prior to 1986.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I believe the M 2 version is fully automatic, and as such, must be registered. Even if it currently has semi-automatic parts, the receiver is still contraband unless registered prior to 1986.

RUN AWAY, RUN FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Unless it's papered, anything stamped M2 is a MACHINE GUN, regardless of current config.

I would not have known this, especially if it was now a semi-auto! :ingo:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    My pm box is cleared in case anyone tried to pm me lol...

im not sure 100% if it was an m2 .. Could have been distorted. I think he traded it locally so, good luck to him.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I would not have known this, especially if it was now a semi-auto! :ingo:

I saw one on loan at a military honor park...won't say where. It was labeled as an M1 in the display but still had the selector switch in place. I pointed out to the curator that he might want to inform the owner (at least take the bloody switch off and store it separately if you're going to put it on public display!). During Korea (IIRC) a large number of M1 carbines were upgraded to M2 selective fire configuration.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Other than the handguard came off when I was shooting it, and it likes the 15 round mag feed better, no, I'd buy another. I have to now that my little girl took it from me! And I paid 600.00 with 8 mags. Never fired.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Behind the AK series, Mosin Nagant, and AR15 series rifles, the M1 cabine is probably the most produced rifle in history - its high up the list at the very least. They are in no way rare, and the $600+ prices people are asking for them are rediculous, and artificially inflated.

'All matching' rifles are a point of contention for me, because most of them are make / forced. The government didn't give two craps about keeping all of the parts matching - when it was time to clean and mothball them, they threw all the parts into a vat of oil and re-assembled the gun with whatever part they picked up. Normal operating procedure gave NO concern whatsoever to keeping the parts matching, so the notion that a gun with all matching numbers is somehow more 'authentic' or desierable than a mix match is very silly. In fact, the mix-match gun is one that has 'been there and done that' whereas the all matching gun was either never issued (read: no history), issued to a paper pusher who never did anything, or is an outright fake / fabrication.

Nothing wrong or less desierable about a mix match gun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Behind the AK series, Mosin Nagant, and AR15 series rifles, the M1 cabine is probably the most produced rifle in history - its high up the list at the very least. They are in no way rare, and the $600+ prices people are asking for them are rediculous, and artificially inflated.

'All matching' rifles are a point of contention for me, because most of them are make / forced. The government didn't give two craps about keeping all of the parts matching - when it was time to clean and mothball them, they threw all the parts into a vat of oil and re-assembled the gun with whatever part they picked up. Normal operating procedure gave NO concern whatsoever to keeping the parts matching, so the notion that a gun with all matching numbers is somehow more 'authentic' or desierable than a mix match is very silly. In fact, the mix-match gun is one that has 'been there and done that' whereas the all matching gun was either never issued (read: no history), issued to a paper pusher who never did anything, or is an outright fake / fabrication.

Nothing wrong or less desierable about a mix match gun.

True they did make a boatload of them, but they did it in only what, a 3 or 4 year period and then stopped?. The other guns were made for decades, and of course AKs and ARs are still being made. As for matching numbers, I never cared much about that either. Part of the beauty of being USGI is that the parts are all interchangeable between the various manufacturers. That isn't true with the reproduction guns.

Top Bottom