M1 Carbine: Surprised My Grandpa (Korean War Veteran)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I forgot to add that after that day, I asked him if we could sit down in the coming weeks to dig through his pictures. I expressed how I wanted to hear all about everything and he was very open to having me come over to dig through old photos, etc. After that happens I plan to either record it all somehow, or just jot notes down while we're talking so that I can write up a paper about my grandpa's history. That way, my aunt and 3 uncles, plus 18 cousins can realize how much he did for all of us.

We've convinced my grandpa to allow us to scan in his old photographs from the war. My uncle is slowly going through them with grandpa and taking similar notes. Our goal is to have a digital photo album of sorts that has descriptions as well. Grandpa has a lot of pictures from France in the weeks and months following the Normandy landings. I vividly remember a picture of the port in Lehavre of several ships the Germans scuttled to make the port harder for the Allies to get operational again.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That was a wonderful thing you did. You have an amazing relationship with your grandfather. For having been married for 60 years, he looks like he still has a lot of spring in his step. That photo of you two standing together says it all. Good man (both of you).

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    My dad and uncle enjoyed handling and shooting my DCM M-1 Garand. And like your experience, they both told stories I had not heard before.

The Library of Congress is sponsoring a program called The Veterans Oral History Project. The idea is to collect as many personal accounts of military service as possible, written, audio, video. I encourage everyone who is close to a vet to try to get them to participate.

Veterans History Project (Library of Congress)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What a great story.

Do you think that "burying the letters" was a thing then? Like from a song or something?

I have an uncle who buried letters sent to him in Korea. He put them in a 100 cigarette can (cigarettes used to come in sealed mini-cases of 100 or 200 to pass around at parties, very Mad Men) and buried them.

I have always thought that strange but never asked him why.

Cigarette tin:

muYqatCQWG-mCSxVOhV8PVw.jpg

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Cool story! My grandpa was also in Korea and when he died I ended up with his M1. It's a great gun. I don't know if it's one he actually had in combat, though, because it's in great condition and the wood is a lighter shade than most I've seen. Maybe he had it re-finished when he got back? I dunno.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks for sharing and kudos for you....I was blessed to have my grandfather (papaw) until I was thirty years old and I cherish every memory I have of him...If the Good Lord let's me slip into Heaven I already know what I am going to say to St. Pete when I get to the gate.....

"Can you tell me where I can find John R. Geary? I miss him and have thought of a thousand questions that I forgot to ask him while we were here on earth..."

Treasure every second with your grandparents...Like can be said of certain firearms, "they just don't make 'em like that anymore.."

Top Bottom