• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Doesn't the original M1 Carbine use a rotary-bolt like the Garand? Citadel's website calls the action a "Semiautomatic, Bolt Locking Blowback System". Has anyone seen one of these up-close? Could the puny .22LR really have enough recoil to operate that complex and heavy an action (if it is, in fact, similar to the M1 Carbine action)?

...does that mean this thing is a gas operated .22 rifle?

It all sounds pretty neat...but can't you buy a run-of-the-mill surplus M1 Carbine for about that money?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Doesn't the original M1 Carbine use a rotary-bolt like the Garand? Citadel's website calls the action a "Semiautomatic, Bolt Locking Blowback System". Has anyone seen one of these up-close? Could the puny .22LR really have enough recoil to operate that complex and heavy an action (if it is, in fact, similar to the M1 Carbine action)?

...does that mean this thing is a gas powered .22 rifle?

It all sounds pretty neat...but can't you buy a run-of-the-mill surplus M1 Carbine for about that money?

Exactly what I was wondering. If it doesn't actually function like a real M1 carbine, what's the point. It would just be an expensive .22 semi auto rifle.

FranktheGDTank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a Mosin at Beech Grove Firearms a couple days ago and they had a Smith and Wesson AR/M4 style in 22LR. Looked like the real deal even with a full-size magazine. I think it was $440.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

...does that mean this thing is a gas operated .22 rifle?

Seems like blowback and bolt locking would be mutually exclusive descriptions. And my understanding would be that blowback would by definition NOT be gas operated (?)

Last edited:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seems like blowback and bolt locking would be mutually exclusive descriptions. And my understanding would be that blowback would by definition NOT be gas operated (?)

Exactly!

If it has a locking bolt, how is it blowback-operated? Does the action operate like a real M1 Carbine? If so, How?!? And if not, what is it? I would be really disappointed if the receiver turns out to be a solid piece that looks like an M1 Carbine, with a simple blowback action set into it...IMHO the 'cool' factor would be a rifle that looks and operates just like a real M1 carbine, but chambered for .22LR.

Otherwise...is it really any better than a 10/22 in a nice M1 dress-up kit?

I need to see one, man...

-Paul

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    well the AR style 22s dont operate like what you would call the real deal and either do the MP5 clones. My 1911 in 22 isnt a drop link browning design. The reason that these 22s are blowback is because the inconsistency of the round and I m not sure a 22lr would have enough power to unlock and cycle the bolt. The ergonomics would be the same as a M1 carbine. Its close to half the price of M1 Carbine not counting the universals and it would be alot cheaper to shoot than 30 caliber carbine. Its a cheaper way for someone to warm to WWII weapons and I hope to see more quality replica 22s in the future and Im more excited for the GSG made STG 44 coming out in april and thats a $600 22 !!!! lol

Top Bottom