• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    So I bought my first handgun at the weekend and after following the manual's instructions to field strip it I am running into an issue were once reassembled the slide move back freely locks in place but with a magazine in it does not want to release. If I pull the slide back to disengage it nothing happens, if I use the slide release on the left side nothing happens, but if I press down the slide release on both sides it'll come free.

So is this normal and part of the break in process or am I more clueless than I imagined?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If the mag is empty it will pushes up the slid lock leaver. That's why the slid locks back after the last round is fired. That's how it's should work. Also you have two springs working against you, the guid spring which pulls on the slid lock leaver and the mag spring that is pushing up the slid lock leaver.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    The mags (both factory) were empty, so it sounds like that is the cause as the slide moves freely without a magazine. Thank you for dealing with the silly question, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The mags (both factory) were empty, so it sounds like that is the cause as the slide moves freely without a magazine. Thank you for dealing with the silly question, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

No problem. If you need some help, PM me and we can get together. Showing you how it's done is much easier than reading it on the intetwebs.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Thanks. I think her Mom is coming down on Saturday and we're probably heading to Midwest with it to break it in a wee bit, and I'll show her how to shoot it too (the pointy shooty I can do reasonably well, the take apart and put back together is the newer part for me)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So I bought my first handgun at the weekend and after following the manual's instructions to field strip it I am running into an issue were once reassembled the slide move back freely locks in place but with a magazine in it does not want to release. If I pull the slide back to disengage it nothing happens, if I use the slide release on the left side nothing happens, but if I press down the slide release on both sides it'll come free.

So is this normal and part of the break in process or am I more clueless than I imagined?

An empty magazine should always lock the slide back. Pulling the slide back further with an empty magazine still in the gun will not release the slide, as the magazine follower (the gray piece the rounds sit on in the magazine) is still pushing up against the slide release. Because the gun is new, it is stiff to use the slide release, especially with an empty magazine in place. As the gun is used, the slide release will move more smoothly and you won't feel like you have to pull both sides to get it to work. Also, using the slide release without a magazine in place, or with a loaded magazine will be easier than when an empty mag is in place.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    just an aside. Having an m&p9c as edc. Make sure you slap that mag HARD into the firearm if it is full. I cannot tell you how many times I discovered the mag loose, or falling out of the gun completely when I started with it because I did not seat it fully. My full size did not act the same.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    just an aside. Having an m&p9c as edc. Make sure you slap that mag HARD into the firearm if it is full. I cannot tell you how many times I discovered the mag loose, or falling out of the gun completely when I started with it because I did not seat it fully. My full size did not act the same.
    A lot of truth to this!! After my range trip is over I need to load it back up with my self defense ammo. I carry it with 12 plus one. With the slid locked back I insert the mag and release the slide to chamber a round. After the round is chamber I drop the mag and top the mag back off to 12. It takes some force to reseat the mag back in.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Tested the pistol tonight with a semi loaded magazine and the slide released with no issue, so thank you all for your sage advice.

A lot of truth to this!! After my range trip is over I need to load it back up with my self defense ammo. I carry it with 12 plus one. With the slid locked back I insert the mag and release the slide to chamber a round. After the round is chamber I drop the mag and top the mag back off to 12. It takes some force to reseat the mag back in.
    I have noticed that too and I am making sure that I hear the click, and tug on it to verify the magazine is locked in. Also getting that 12th round in with new springs is not really an easy task just yet but I'm sure that'll change once the springs loosen up a little.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County

I can agree with this. I hit it with the butt of my palm pretty hard when re-inserting it full after cleaning.

Top Bottom