• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    This is not meant to be a big, fancy review. Just my thoughts about it :) Keep in mind that I do NOT have any experience with the M&P series at all before this one.

Picked up an M&P22 (Pistol of course) the other day and finally got out to shoot it for the first time today. I decided to get it over other dedicated .22 pistols for a couple reasons. It's the same size as (or close at least) as the full power M&P pistols. It makes a good trainer because of that and I've been contemplating an M&P for awhile as is. I've read/watched many, many reviews over it and most were good. Better than I can say about others and even the conversion kits, too. One of the things that really drew me to it was all of the talk that it was not picky on ammo like most other .22 pistols.

I ended up running 500 rounds through it and found that the accuracy was great (for me anyways lol). Of course, it was easy to handle and it also fit my hands really well. The safety on it did get in the way a little bit though, but it is very easy to engage/disengage it. Everything being ambidextrous is a huge plus for the gun, too. I'm right handed so its not that big of a deal for me, but it's great for our left handed shooters. I didn't move them, but the sights are easily adjustable. It's nice to have the option. The pistol does feature a threaded barrel from the factory and comes with a spanner to remove the protector ring around it. Great for people, like me, that is planning on a suppressor at a later date. Tear down and cleaning are extremely easy and straight forward. Just don't put the buffer ring for the recoil spring and guide rod back on the wrong way and make yourself look like an idiot when it doesn't go back together quite right. Not that I know that from personal experience or anything :ugh:

As far as the ammo goes, because that's what everyone worries about with the .22s, I shot three different types through it. I started off with Remington Golden Bullets (100), and then ran a box of the CCI Mini Mags (100) through, and then finished out with the cheap CCI Blazers (300). I had absolutely zero malfunctions. Not a single FTE or FTF the entire time. Seems like it eats ammo like a fat kid at a cake eating contest.

The only issue that I had was with top round stripping. Every time I just slammed the mag home (like I would with my Glock 19) the top round would either completely pop out of the mag or just enough that the slide would catch it and basically stovepipe that round without catching the next round at all. This isn't really that much of an issue, though. Just insert the mag without trying to break the gun and the top round stripping is not an issue. It's reliable enough that I can strip the top round every time or not at all. Once again, not a big issue.

Oh, and the fact that it only comes with one magazine sucks, but it is a 12 round magazine. Most other .22 pistol only come with a 10 round magazine. Bigger gun, bigger mag :) Also a good looking gun and has a rail for a laser or light or whatever.

All in all I would recommend this pistol to anyone looking for a .22 pistol. If you are trying to introduce someone into shooting and they are not comfortable starting off with something like a 9mm this is the perfect pistol for them. Someone with really tiny hands (kids maybe) a smaller gun might be better, but that's about the only reason. Very light, extremely light recoil, easy to shoot, very reliable, and cheap ammo available. What's not to like? Perfect for beginners or anyone looking for a dedicated .22 pistol.

If you want a .22 pistol, GET THIS GUN!!!!!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Love mine! Keep leaning towards selling to go to threaded mark ii, but the m&p has been so good to me! By far best of the tacticool .22 pistols. Loves federal bulk

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Agreed. I have noticed the same. Hit the slide lock to release the slide and like clockwork it will shoot the first round straight up. I forget often, because I am used to shooting my 9 where I release the slide and let it chamber the 1st round. But, I suppose it's more consistent to learn to slingshot the slide anyways.

Mags are expensive. like $30+ for each mag. If all you can find are 10 round mags, don't fret. You can easily remove the spacer in a 10 round mag to convert it to 12.

Great little gun. My only real caveat, is I wish they offered different backstraps like the normal M&P frames. The 22 is fixed, similar in size to the small backstrap on any other M&P pistol.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I like mine but the only bulk ammo it shoots reliably is Remington Golden, FTE's & FTF's using Federal and Winchester bulk are the norm for it. CCI minimags run fine.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Mine has run about everything I've put through it. I bought a Federal 525 because I couldn't find a 550 pack, and it didn't like those at all... Weird?? Maybe a bad lot or something. Had a lot of FTEs with that box. I definitely don't think mine would run 500 without a failure. It doesn't like being too dirty. Still really enjoy it; I mean the least I can do is clean it every couple hundred rounds.

As far as the safeties, I took mine off. They were in my way and changed my grip from what I use on my M&P9, so I just got rid of them.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    ive noticed my 22 really likes the CCI mini mags or the federal bulk,winchester bulk not so much for some resaon***has anyone else had issues with the winchester? they were all copper plated***

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    New, my M&P 22 was having trouble with Remington Thunderbolts; FTFs every fourth round or so. I cleaned the gun and tried again. The FTF problem showed up after about 20 rounds. Then I shot some CCI mini mags through it, about 70 before I got an FTF. Went back to Thunderbolts and the FTF rate went down to about 1 out of 20. . . Looks like the gun is getting broken in.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    New, my M&P 22 was having trouble with Remington Thunderbolts; FTFs every fourth round or so. I cleaned the gun and tried again. The FTF problem showed up after about 20 rounds. Then I shot some CCI mini mags through it, about 70 before I got an FTF. Went back to Thunderbolts and the FTF rate went down to about 1 out of 20. . . Looks like the gun is getting broken in.

I tried some winchester bulk 555 in it (It's what I had lying around) and wound up with a FTE within a 12rd mag. The dealer I bought from said he's used CCI ar tactical in his without any malfunctions. Having bought a box at the time of purchase, that is all I have run through it since that initial FTE. Probably 500 rounds or so through it so far without a malfunction yet. I do clean it after almost every round of shooting.

Top Bottom