• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I fought this same battle awhile back and in the end the M&P won. Like others have said, you aren't going to really go wrong with either since both represent a quality piece that will give you lifetime's worth of service.

Aftermarket parts, holsters and extra magazines are going to be more plentiful for the Glock, but the M&P isn't that far behind. All good holster manufacturers have models exclusively for the M&P and many shops on the internet have great prices for extra M&P magazines.

The feature that drove me to go for the Smith's in both 9mm and .45 was the beavertail on the frame. My .45 caliber Glock, the model 21, fit me perfectly but the thinner framed models like the 17/19 and 22/23 wouldn't have enough grip to prevent the webbing of my hand from riding up behind the back of the slide and constantly getting cut during recoil. The tang on the M&P gives me the amount of area to get a very high and very aggressive grip on the gun; all the other features were just icing on the cake.

Shoot both and choose the one you feel like you'd want most to practice and shoot with and that is the correct one to have. Good luck and post up a pic and range report when you finally decide!
    My G23 Gen 3 with Grip Force beavertail adapter.

g23griptop1.jpg

g23gripcl1.jpg

Mongoose1.1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Want to purchase a new 9mm and have narrowed it down to either a full size m&p or a Glock 17. Don't really intend on carrying the gun, just for shooting. Just curious about everyone's opinions on the two, any help is appreciated.

Glock 17 generation 3 is Glock's most combat reliable offering.

If you like the feel of the Glock then go with that. I like the M & P ergonomics better but the Glock 17 gen3 is definitely the more reliable 9mm.

If it were a different caliber like the .40 or .45 I would definitely go with the M & P as it has a more reliable combat record in those calibers then the Glocks despite their popularity.

If cost is no issue look into Sig P226 in 9mm. It's a legendary handgun and I can attest that while usually over-priced, it is a magnificent gun to shoot. Very, very, smooth. you can find good deals on them if you're patient.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If it were a different caliber like the .40 or .45 I would definitely go with the M & P as it has a more reliable combat record in those calibers then the Glocks despite their popularity.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I might give you a bit of room on that one with the Glock 36, but I'm not sure I'd concede that the other Glocks in .45 (21 and 30) are not reliable, and I definitely would not concede anything on the 22/23/27 as far as reliability.

The M&P is a fine gun, and well worth owning, but the Glock .40 and .45's don't want for reliability.

If anything, I'd be more concerned with recent manufactured Glocks in 9mm and reports of ejection pattern issues than I would about any aspect of the .40 & .45 Glocks.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been a long time Glocker, testing out the M&P for a while. Think the Glock fits my hand better. Not really impressed with all the M&P pre-travel, even with the Apex stuff installed. I know they do have a replacement trigger as well, but we'll see how it goes. In all reality, once you start shooting strings, you really don't notice a difference.

One is really no better than the better, it's really just what fits your hand and which trigger you prefer.

This has been my experience as well. I have owned and still own, carry and shoot Glocks and feel they fit my hand better, and I prefer the trigger (crisp. tactile, audible reset) as well. That said, I own an M&P 9c as well, but haven't made the transition to carrying it due to not being as comfortable with it. I did put the RAM kit in it to get some semblance of a tactile trigger reset. I may carry it one day, I just need to shoot it a lot more to get to that point.

Top Bottom