• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eli Wolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    If they both "feel" good in your hand, I would go with the Glock...looongtime track record for reliability. Course my nine is a Beretta M9 fitted with rubber combat grips, it "feels" perfect to me.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    hur dur.. glocks blow up.. derp..

blah blah.. the only good smith is a revolver.

my jimenez outshoots every gun made.

my dual exhaust has 2 mufflers for 100 hp each in my honda civic.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Beretta's were not really one of the choices!

Glocks are good S&W's are good. I have both. I actually prefer the M&P. I like the way the M&P feels to me. But thats me. It basically comes down to what your preference is for the fit because both the Glock and M&P will run and run and run. The M&P has came on so strong that like the Glock there is a ton of whatever parts you want and both companies have GREAT customer service.

Good Luck
    Well it should be one of the choices! :rockwoot:

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would add the Walther PPQ to that list as well.

In addition to "feel", be aware of the other pros and cons of each gun and what it will take to rectify them for you and your needs. ie: glocks recent ejection problems, SW's lock up issues and their uninspiring trigger.

stack23

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    One thing i don't like about glocks is the no safety option, i sometimes shoot with my girlfriend and friends and they are responsible enough to know how to handle and shoot a gun properly but i just feel a lot safer on my end knowing that the gun has a safety. The m&p is offered with and without a safety. My cousin is a Chicago Police officer and was just telling me a story about how an officer shot himself with his glock on accident. He's also the one who told me that he will carry nothing other than a glock on duty :)::dunno:

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I debated this very same decision when buying my first handgun, glock 17 v M&P 9. I went with the M&P 9 because I liked the more "rounded" feel of the grip. I've tried all the 3 grips, and use the medium / default grip. I've fired about 600 rounds through it. First 100 rounds I had some of the brass flying back toward my head and bouncing off my shoulder -- these were federal whitebox. I switched the federal FMJ and that stopped, although I don't know if it was the ammo or breaking in.

I also liked the G17 3rd gen quite a bit. I didn't care for the grip as much as the M&P. I liked the sights on the G17 better than the M&P, although I have no problems with the M&P sights either, just personal preference.

In hindsights I would have purchased night sights for HD use with the M&P when I got it. Instead I'm taking it to Bradis next week to have some installed.

In short for the M&P - I liked the grip quite a bit better, and I liked the made in the USA aspect. I also liked the rail in front and the threaded barrel although I use neither. For th Glock I liked the sights better, the grip less.

I'm happy withe the M&P. No issues with it at all, and I find it easy to clean. If I had ended up with the G17 instead, I'm certain I'd be saying the same thing. I really bought based on the grip more than anything and could have gone either way. I wouldn't mind having one of each to be honest.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Want to purchase a new 9mm and have narrowed it down to either a full size m&p or a Glock 17. Don't really intend on carrying the gun, just for shooting. Just curious about everyone's opinions on the two, any help is appreciated.

Try them both at a friendly gun shop/range and then decide. Both are great quality firearms.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    While I'm on here, I'll 'shoot' (hehe) in my :twocents:. OP, both Smith and Glock make quality, reliable, comfortable weapons, for plinking all the way up to all out heavy assault. I personally have owned examples from both manufactures, and for the most part have been very happy. My preference of the two leans towards Glock, however, that is personal preference.

All that being said, I'm going to hopefully give you the best advice I was given: Go with the gun you are comfortable holding, shooting, and disassembling. Those are the keys. The last being not so important, and can be very easily acquired skill. Grip, and, comfort while shooting are the most important aspects I look at when purchasing a gun. Usually, if it doesn't feel good in your hand while just holding in, it won't be comfortable to actually shoot... USUALLY, NOT ALL THE TIME. (I had to put that in before I get raked over the coals!)

Good luck in your search!!!:draw:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I fought this same battle awhile back and in the end the M&P won. Like others have said, you aren't going to really go wrong with either since both represent a quality piece that will give you lifetime's worth of service.

Aftermarket parts, holsters and extra magazines are going to be more plentiful for the Glock, but the M&P isn't that far behind. All good holster manufacturers have models exclusively for the M&P and many shops on the internet have great prices for extra M&P magazines.

The feature that drove me to go for the Smith's in both 9mm and .45 was the beavertail on the frame. My .45 caliber Glock, the model 21, fit me perfectly but the thinner framed models like the 17/19 and 22/23 wouldn't have enough grip to prevent the webbing of my hand from riding up behind the back of the slide and constantly getting cut during recoil. The tang on the M&P gives me the amount of area to get a very high and very aggressive grip on the gun; all the other features were just icing on the cake.

Shoot both and choose the one you feel like you'd want most to practice and shoot with and that is the correct one to have. Good luck and post up a pic and range report when you finally decide!

Top Bottom