• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    The new age question, M&P or Glock? I'm still a fan of glocks because of their reliability, but the M&P just feels better in the hand, at least mine, and seems to shoot a bit smoother. I have shot a glock 21 and an M&p .45 and i prefer the M&P.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I vote M&P.
    MP9Sights_01.jpg

MP9SD_01.jpg

MP9Sights_02.jpg

[video=youtube;X8PEGqF5BX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8PEGqF5BX4[/video]

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Anyone remember S&W's Sigma? That was their first attempt at copying the Glock, and what a godawful thing it turned out to be. Cobbled together and rushed to market in hopes of crushing this upstart Austrian's audacity to encroach upon "their" police market, a lot of people bought in and were sorely disappointed. I've only shot a couple of Sigmas over the years and they didn't blow up in my hand or anything, but the way S&W handled the whole debacle left a very foul taste in my mouth. Gaston Glock essentially created a whole new way of making and marketing the combat handgun, and they've been a consistent performer for me since acquiring my first back in the mid-90's. They are butt-ugly pistols, but an AK-47 isn't much to look at either.

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    I switched from Glock to M&P last year and I've been pretty happy with the change. Lately though I have just been thinking...why not both? :draw:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Glock fan here. I truly appreciate the build quality of the M&P (built, IMHO, heavier duty than the Glock, gasp!) but I just plain shoot a Glock better than an M&P. The M&P trigger is just fine, from my experience (another gasp!), but the feel and break of the Glock trigger works better in my hands for whatever reason.

Maybe I've just not given an M&P enough rounds downrange (and I did truly like the M&P Pro I briefly had, but was looking for a smaller carry gun more than anything at the time), but at this stage I'm happy with the availability of equipment like mags and holsters that carrying the most popular platform brings. The M&P does feel more comfortable in my hands, I'll admit. But unless it's the Pro series backstraps with their stippled texture, an M&P is just too slippery. That's the reason any Glock I own will always be a Gen 4 (or the Holy Grail RTF2!).

The availability of aftermarket parts in no way affects my thought process on this, though I know it does for some. I'm the guy who wants my guns bone stock save for sight upgrades and wants to just run it as it was designed. I see too many failures from the latest Buck Rogers triggers and such to ever trust anything AM in my guns. And a stock Glock works best in my hands.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Out of the two I prefer Glock. I have two Glocks, a G19 that is my EDC and a G34 range only gun. I also picked up an M&P VTAC, because I had the same question as you and really wanted to see how I liked the M&P. Stock, I like both of my Glock's better. There isn't anything really wrong with the VTAC, I just prefer Glock, plus my Glock's tend to eat any ammo I throw at them while staying accurate, while the VTAC doesn't seem to like reloads at all. No problems with FTF or FTE, just accuracy that goes into the crapper. I also don't like the VTAC sights much. Paid the extra money and kinda wish I hadn't. Oh well, live and learn, that's what the experience is all about! Between these two, the M&P is the winner for price. I've seen them online for $439, a full $100 cheaper than a gen 4 Glock, about $60 cheaper than a gen 3 Glock.

That said, I add a third option, the Walther PPQ. Again, comparing these stock, the PPQ has great ergos, good factory 3 dot sights and the best trigger on a center fire pistol. My Glock 34 was my favorite gun until I bought the PPQ, but the PPQ is more fun to shoot and more accurate. I have the 5" long slide version, but I've shot the 4" version and liked it just as much. The 4" version can be had online for about the same as a gen 4 Glock (around $450 or so). Not as many accessories and such as with Glock's or Smith's, but I prefer the PPQ myself.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Out of the two I prefer Glock. I have two Glocks, a G19 that is my EDC and a G34 range only gun. I also picked up an M&P VTAC, because I had the same question as you and really wanted to see how I liked the M&P. Stock, I like both of my Glock's better. There isn't anything really wrong with the VTAC, I just prefer Glock, plus my Glock's tend to eat any ammo I throw at them while staying accurate, while the VTAC doesn't seem to like reloads at all. No problems with FTF or FTE, just accuracy that goes into the crapper. I also don't like the VTAC sights much. Paid the extra money and kinda wish I hadn't. Oh well, live and learn, that's what the experience is all about! Between these two, the M&P is the winner for price. I've seen them online for $439, a full $100 cheaper than a gen 4 Glock, about $60 cheaper than a gen 3 Glock.

That said, I add a third option, the Walther PPQ. Again, comparing these stock, the PPQ has great ergos, good factory 3 dot sights and the best trigger on a center fire pistol. My Glock 34 was my favorite gun until I bought the PPQ, but the PPQ is more fun to shoot and more accurate. I have the 5" long slide version, but I've shot the 4" version and liked it just as much. The 4" version can be had online for about the same as a gen 4 Glock (around $450 or so). Not as many accessories and such as with Glock's or Smith's, but I prefer the PPQ myself.

Careful, I'm pretty sure there's still some 1911 guys on here. ;)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I had a S&W M&P Pro, traded it for a Walther. It was a good shooter, never could get used to the trigger. Some people like the M&P triggers, I prefer the Glocks. Got three Glocks and no M&P's. Both are good guns I just shoot the Glock better.

wtburnette mentioned the PPQ. What everyone should be asking themselves is why they don't own a PPQ. Find one, shoot one and you will know why I say that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Careful, I'm pretty sure there's still some 1911 guys on here. ;)

Sorry, guess I should say the best trigger on a center fire pistol that I'm aware of, especially in that price range. I've fired a few 1911's that had nice factory triggers, but they weren't as nice as the trigger in the PPQ. Most reviews I've read or watched mention the trigger as one of the best. I guess I should change it to "one of the best" to make sure I don't get too badly flamed. Then again, we shouldn't see any 1911 guys in this thread about plastic guns, right? :D

wtburnette mentioned the PPQ. What everyone should be asking themselves is why they don't own a PPQ. Find one, shoot one and you will know why I say that.

I would have to imagine that if BGF and Indy Trading Post got PPQ's in to rent, there would be a lot more PPQ owners...lol!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have a pile of Glocks and have owned another pile of them over the years. I have had 3 Smith poly pistols and 2 were turds, a Sigma .380 and an SW9VE that would not feed hollow points. I briefly owned an M&P45C. That seemed to be a nice pistol, but I just liked the Glock better, probably because I have shot so many of them.
    The previous statement does not apply to Smith 3rd Gen autos and their revolvers. :)

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    My choice is the M&P. I have never spent any time with a Glock, however the M&P is just a far better fit for me in terms of ergonomics. The M&P seems to be well built and the slide serrations make for easy manipulation. BUT if you compare the stock trigger against anything else (that I have ever used) M&P is a looser. If on the other hand you replace the original trigger with one of the Apex brand it makes a nice dependable shooter.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Between the 2, I have had MUCH better luck with Glock. I have found the M&P has a better feel, but isn't as reliable as the Glock, but that's based on my own experience.

I still think both are good guns, and recommend them over anything else out there.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I owned and shot many different GLKs. They all had one problem--grip was too big and had to have a grip reduction done on most
    of them. MP has different back straps and that fixed my problem. Now I own XD/XDM/XDs Very happy with SA pistols. Good luck

Top Bottom