• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Ok, money not being a factor (in the perfect world... :) ) which is better for conceal carry - an M&P Shield 9mm or a Kimber Solo 9mm?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Never tried a Kimber Solo, but I think the Shield is about the best carry pistol I have ever tried among MANY of the compact / subcompact 9mm's out there.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I own a Kimber Solo so I can speak for it, it's a great piece. Very comfortable, very simple, very functional. I've fired 50 rounds through it at the range without a hitch.

Can't speak for the M&P.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I ran my Shield 9mm with FMJ and JHP and tried it AIWB and strongside IWB. It was a great running pistol, no feeding or ejection issues at all. The only issue I had with it was that the mags were very difficult to seat when they were fully loaded, with a round in the chamber. I always carry the full mag +1, and it was hard to get the mag to lock in securely sometimes. In my carry setup though, the Shield was a solution in search of a problem- I conceal a G19 IWB just fine, so I sold it off....

I have not had a chance to shoot the Kimber Solo at all. The Shield trigger was an improvement over the stock trigger on the M&P9 FS, and M&P9c that I used to have.

Last edited:

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Make sure you do a search on the Kimbers apparent quality issues

I think the Solo is getting a bad rap. I bought mine put cheap Winchester ammo in and it jambed like crazy. Pissed that I just paid so much I went home and did a lot of reading and then took Kimbers advice and used high quality (or high grain) ammo and it was flawless. I still shoot a lot of cheap stuff through it to just practice but I always keep it loaded with Hydra-shocks.

With that said they are both great guns I own both. If money isn't an issue I would go with the Kimber for seveal reasons. The main reason is, I only carry these in my pocket and the Kimber feels much better. All the rounded edges really help and while the size difference doesn't seem that much in a pocket it really helps. In a holster probably wouldn't matter at all. You can were normal fitting jeans and you don't have any jagged edges poking your leg. My Kimber is also more accurate and it feels better in my hand and if you get 8 round mags it feels reel comfortable. That said I would totally carry my shield if needed. As far as reliability goes both are great. All in all if you can afford to pay twice as much and money isn't that big a deal then go Kimber. Is it really twice the gun no way not even close.

They are really as different as a Glock and a Kimber 1911 but I won't get that debat started.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think the Solo is getting a bad rap. I bought mine put cheap Winchester ammo in and it jambed like crazy. Pissed that I just paid so much I went home and did a lot of reading and then took Kimbers advice and used high quality (or high grain) ammo and it was flawless. I still shoot a lot of cheap stuff through it to just practice but I always keep it loaded with Hydra-shocks.

With that said they are both great guns I own both. If money isn't an issue I would go with the Kimber for seveal reasons. The main reason is, I only carry these in my pocket and the Kimber feels much better. All the rounded edges really help and while the size difference doesn't seem that much in a pocket it really helps. In a holster probably wouldn't matter at all. You can were normal fitting jeans and you don't have any jagged edges poking your leg. My Kimber is also more accurate and it feels better in my hand and if you get 8 round mags it feels reel comfortable. That said I would totally carry my shield if needed. As far as reliability goes both are great. All in all if you can afford to pay twice as much and money isn't that big a deal then go Kimber. Is it really twice the gun no way not even close.

They are really as different as a Glock and a Kimber 1911 but I won't get that debat started.

I use Federal Hydra-Shok in mine. Pricey, but I just bought this piece for personal protection. I don't shoot hundreds of rounds through it. I've fired 50 rounds of 124 grain Hydra-Shok without a single misfeed. That gives me confidence that it will work when called upon.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    hmmm... well, on both forums, it sounds like the Shield is just a tad more popular. It certainly is cheaper. Thanks for the advice and thoughts!

Americanbulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    Never have shot a M&P but i have shot a Kimber solo ....the solo is very nice until it jams.... but that was cheap target ammo that it jammed on

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I know that when I was out looking around for a sub-compact 9mm a few months ago, I looked really hard at a Solo.
    Midwest in Elkhart had one in their range rental inventory and I tried it out.
    One thing that becomes really evident to me was that when the slide is in recoil, it got really close to the web of my hand.
    I think that the terminology is slide bite.
    When I took it back, the guy behind the counter asked me what I though.
    When I told him about my observation, he told me that I wasn't the only person who had that experience and that many people who shot it brought it back for that reason.
    I think that was my biggest reason for steering clear of the Solo.

Looking forward to shooting a Shield at Thanksgiving time, so I can see what that will do.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Look at some of the youtube vids about the solo. It seems to have multiple issues, especially with wear and the finish. Like others have said for the price you pay for the solo it better be able to shoot whatever ammo you feed it, you'll need to shoot the cheap stuff for practice after dishing out that much $$$.
    The only knock I have heard from anyone about the shield is it having a manual safety.

Top Bottom