• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    I've had mixed results with M&P's. I'm a big fan of the ergonomics and overall feel of the M&P series but most of the full size I've owned or shot had very poor accuracy out of the box. My current M&P 45 is the most accurate I've had and the only mods to it are an Apex hard sear. I keep going back to a fullsize M&P 9 but none of the 3 I've owned in the last couple years shot worth a darn. Shots stayed on a paperplate but couldn't get them below 3" or so even at 10yrds. One of these days I'll get a full size 9 and upgrade the barrel.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had accuracy issues with any M&P I've ever shot. I train with my M&P 9 a lot. Last time out, I put 5 rounds in a jagged little line right through the bullseye at 10 yards. I was consistently inside the 8 ring at 35 ft. as well.

treken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    I really want to try out an M&P.

I just bought my first handgun (SW40VE) and read many good things about the M&P while researching my gun.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had accuracy issues with any M&P I've ever shot. I train with my M&P 9 a lot. Last time out, I put 5 rounds in a jagged little line right through the bullseye at 10 yards. I was consistently inside the 8 ring at 35 ft. as well.

What size bull? What size 8-ring?

What kind of group size, in inches, are you getting when shooting it benched out at 25yds? (A Ransom Rest would be ideal, but not everyone has access to one of those; we're trying to get a sense of the pistol's mechanical accuracy, here, not the shooter's.)

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    What size bull? What size 8-ring?

What kind of group size, in inches, are you getting when shooting it benched out at 25yds? (A Ransom Rest would be ideal, but not everyone has access to one of those; we're trying to get a sense of the pistol's mechanical accuracy, here, not the shooter's.

What would constitute a suitable bench? I could whip some 2x4s together, or rest the gun on a brick of .22 ammo if we're being informal. If anyone in NWI has access to a Ransom and would like to perform a true scientific test of accuracy, I'll provide my M&P. (Not trying to be cocky, but I too would like to remove the human element and find out what these guns can actually do in a controlled environment.. SCIENCE!)

Target size was 1sq ft paper with a 2" bullseye and a 6" 8 ring, btw.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My bench tests involved a simple folding table, with a sandbag as a rest. The 22, 9, 45 & xdm were all tested in the same manner. Its not exactly a vise... But I'm apt to believe if the m&p9 were mounted in a vise, at 25 yds, you'd have surprisingly large groupings.

I was playing around this weekend at a family event, plinking with the .22 rifle. For kicks, i pulled out the m&p22 and managed to hit a small propane cylinder (those torch map gas types, which was empty of course) from 50 yards. It took me 5 rounds, off hand. I was thoroughly impressed being able to hold steady, but knew the gun was more accurate than i was. The 9? I wouldn't have had that confidence.

I have not given up n the 9 yet though... I've yet to have my LEO buddy test fire it for me, and my training session (where I hoped to have some else try it out) isn't until this coming up weekend. I found a site (G&Rtactical.com) where a guy is custom fitting some oversized storm lake barrels with good results. Downside is, it's another $200. I'm not happy about it, but I am happy with every other aspect of this pistol that I will try one of his barrels (I'm on a waiting list). I just hope I don;t end up kicking my self in the butt. :(

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Bought new, the test casing on the 9mm is 03/2012. According to most I've read on 'the google', the newer barrels shouldn't be having this issue.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Have either of you tried any 147 gr or 124 grain ammo?

My M&P came with a threaded barrel, and I have had no issues with its long range accuracy.

Turns out, the threaded M&Ps... the barrels were done by Storm Lake for Smith.

So there ya go.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    OK, so... apparently (big suprise to most of you I am sure) it is me and not the barrel. Perhaps it was too hot when i was doing my bench tests, perhaps I was going TOO SLOW, perhaps I have just not yet mastered this trigger, I dunno.

Yesterday, I had a pretty successful day at DP101. Had my share of misses, but overall shot really well (mostly from 7 yards, all fairly quick shooting)
    Clay & IndyGuy77 were there with their M&P's as well (M&P's are taking over the world!:rockwoot:), Both of them are very accurate shooters I might add.
    I had IndyGuy77 test fire my m&p9 from 20 yards, at an 8" plate (WWB target ammo). full mag 17rnd, he hit the plate about 13-14 times (missing the first couple to get his sighting in I am sure). The last 8 rounds or so he was firing at a pretty quick rate without issue. I then shot maybe a dozen rounds, and hit it at least 8 of the 12. So clearly it was shooting 8" groups or less at 20 yards. This made me feel more comfortable using the gun as a self defense weapon.

Today, I ran some 147 grain (winchester supreme elite hollowpoints, 976 vel. @ 25 yd) and noticed little difference from the 155gr winchester white box ammo (1125 vel @ 25yd). The only discernable difference, is the 147gr ran much higher than the WWB. Roughly 2" high at 10yds, and 4-5" high at 25 yds. WWB ran about 2" high at 25 yds, but right on target at 10. The results were much better than previous tests. 5 Shot groups;

10 yards OFF HAND
    2" group - 115gr
    1.25" group - 147gr

25 Yards Benched (These were on par with the xdm I tested using WWB). 2 tests each:
    5" group & 4" Group - 115gr (Slightly better than 147gr)
    5" group & 4.5" group - 147gr

25 Yards Off Hand
    10" group - 115gr
    5.5" Group - 147gr (not too shabby!)

The off hand group at 25 yds is reminiscent of what I was getting off the bench in my previous tests.

So, ultimately... Clay was correct. I suck, and it's not the gun. :(

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In all fairness, I shot MY pistol a little better at the steel plate than I did yours. I blame that on not having used the kind of sight set up you have. (I do like it, though!)

All in all, I don't think either of our pistols is any more accurate than the other.

And for a relatively new handgun shooter, you certainly availed yourself well. I certainly wish you well on your journey towards carrying with confidence!!!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Excellent to hear! I did a quick test at my range and was ringing a 30" diameter metal gong at 100-105 yards this Saturday after my IDPA match.

I initially had lots of problems because the M&P impacts differently than my Glocks did and the trigger was so different, too. Now, as much as I still love and respect Glock, I am M&P all the way!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    totally forgot about this thread.

if I remember right, you were shooting ragged holes on paper at the end of the day! So I dont think you suck at all! :)

Top Bottom