• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Buy a Glock!! :laugh: :koolaid: Had to say it.

I have handled, shot all three brands. Both the XDm and M&P are good to go. I would be happy to own either or both.

My opinion:

M&P- Great ergonomics, lighter, lower bore axis. Trigger stinks.
    XDm- I like the slim/long grip, good trigger, I personally shoot it better. Gun is "chunky" to me, I don't care for the grip safety. Made in Croatia.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Buy a Glock!! :laugh: :koolaid: Had to say it.

I have handled, shot all three brands. Both the XDm and M&P are good to go. I would be happy to own either or both.

My opinion:

M&P- Great ergonomics, lighter, lower bore axis. Trigger stinks.
    XDm- I like the slim/long grip, good trigger, I personally shoot it better. Gun is "chunky" to me, I don't care for the grip safety. Made in Croatia.

Are there aftermarket options to make the trigger not stinky?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Are there aftermarket options to make the trigger not stinky?

Apex. I have heard that they make the triggers on the M&P very nice. All of the M&Ps I have shot had the factory trigger. It was very gritty and just did not seem to break right for me. I do love the feel of the gun and it points very well. But I did not shoot the gun well at all. With a little bit of practice (lot of dry fire) I am sure that I would have a different opinion.

Interestingly enough if I had to pick a platform right now (Glock vs XDm vs M&P) it would probably be the M&P series of gun. They just feel that good in the hand. Also I like the fact that they have a .22 version available.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Apex. I have heard that they make the triggers on the M&P very nice. All of the M&Ps I have shot had the factory trigger. It was very gritty and just did not seem to break right for me. I do love the feel of the gun and it points very well. But I did not shoot the gun well at all. With a little bit of practice (lot of dry fire) I am sure that I would have a different opinion.

Interestingly enough if I had to pick a platform right now (Glock vs XDm vs M&P) it would probably be the M&P series of gun. They just feel that good in the hand. Also I like the fact that they have a .22 version available.

Yeah, I really like the fit of the M&P in my hand. Would love to shoot one before I buy.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I have an xd(m) in 9mm that I love! I had a trigger job done on it by SA and I've yet to shoot a gun with a better trigger, which includes Sig, HK, Les Baer 1911, and Glocks. This past week I had the opportunity to shoot an M&P 9mm. It has shaken the relationship I have with the xd(m). Yeah, the trigger on the M&P was bad by comparison to all those listed above, but I still shot it very accurately. The most endearing feature of the M&P though was how soft shooting it felt relative to my xd(m). I had replaced the factory guide rod in my xd(m) with a solid stainless steel one too! The difference in height of the bore axis really seems to be a substantial factor in felt recoil.
    This is just my experience, your's may be different. I'd feel bad putting my xd(m) in the back of the safe, and worse if I sold it. But I've been dreaming about that M&P 9 since I shot it and I can't wait to do it again.

MadAngler1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Which does everyone prefer?
    Pros and Cons?

I owned an XDM 4.5" 9 mm and wound up trading it in for a Glock 17. The XDM's magazine release design makes it difficult at times to perform tactical reloads (meaning, you take out a partially loaded magazine and replace it with a loaded one, while a round is in the chamber). I had my gun sent back to Springfield to have them replace the magazine release, but it did not fix the problem. I've read of others having the same issue, and it has to do with the way the mag catch rests up against the magazine. This is important if you shoot IDPA or attend a Gunsite or LAV class. Otherwise, it's a good gun; always reliable. I liked the 1911 style ergonomics. I never had any malfunctions after 2000+ rounds.

I went with the Glock 17 due to the tactical reload issue, and because the trigger reset is shorter than on the XDM. Once you stipple the frame, the ergonomics are far better than on a stock G17. The ergonomics of the XDM is still better than the G17, but I've learned to live with it.

It seems that some of the newer S&W M&Ps have had problems as of late, similar to Glock's Gen 4 models. However, the M&Ps I've seen at some classes have had zero problems. I don't have much trigger time behind one, but I think it would come down to your own personal choice as far as M&P vs. Glock. It's a function of what you want and like.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom