• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I am gathering supplies and equipment to start reloading. I bought the Lyman 49th Ed. to use. There is no mention of 115 gr FMJ (page 340). The only 115 gr profiled is the JHP. The ammo I buy at WW and Dunhams is all 115 FMJ, which is what I assumed I would be loading. There is a 95 gr. FMJ, but that seems a little wimpy to me. I carry 115 gr. Should I scrap the idea of 115 FMJ for the JHP?

Another question. I am planning to wash my shells in mild soap and water rather than a tumbler or vibatory machine, as I am just getting started and that will be a future purchase. Should I wash the brass before or after I de-prime them. I am planning to start out using the Lee turret in single stage mode to start until I feel confident with the process as some have suggested to other posters. While waiting for the other supplies to arrive, and I FIND SOME DARN PRIMERS, I would like to start removing the primers just to get that out of the way...and to have something to do while waiting for stuff to arrive. I will be using the RCBS Universal hand primer rather than the plastic one that comes with the Lee Classic (I bought the Deluxe and it is not included).

Thanks.

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Are you going to carry FMJs for defense? If so, I have to encourage you to reconsider. High chance of over-penetration and collateral damage.

Do NOT load the JHP bullets with FMJ load data. The bullet manufacturer should be able to supply you with loading data if the Lyman's manual doesn't.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Actually I carry JHP in my Glock 26 for everyday carry. I don't want over penetration. Good word, though. I have always heard that one should not carry reloads for self defense. Of course I am open to education on the issue.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Reloads themselves I don't have any reason to say not to carry them. As long as you are confident in your reloading ability to create a consistent, reliable round, I see no reason not to. Well, I can think of one but it is quite a stretch. If you were in a situation where you needed to defend yourself by using deadly force, an overzealous prosecutor could pull some crap like saying "This man was trying to use 'killer bullets' that he handloaded himself!"

It is quite a stretch but just some food for thought. IMO this is just an afterthought :twocents:. If I were in a situation which warranted deadly force this would not even enter my mind. My thought would be covering my own :moon:.

What I am doing is handloading some JHPs to see if my gun is reliable with them and then finding some self defense ammo loaded with the same bullets/similar velocity. It is substantially more affordable running handloaded JHPs to test for reliability as I would like to run at least 150-200 rounds through to see.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Shouldn't be a prob, 115 gr, is 115 gr, I have used jhp, for fmj, and vice versa...

I have to disagree with this. The composition of the bullet, the overall length of the round, ect., are all different between FMJs and JHPs. For example, the Speer Gold Dot 230 grn. bullets had a max load of 5.8 grns of Unique. The 230 grn. FMJs had a max load of 6.2 grns. (IIRC, I don't remember if it's 6.0 or 6.2, but I do know the max loads for JHPs were different than FMJs) of Unique. I don't know enough about ballistics to be able to tell you in detail why this is, but I do know that is the way it is. There are reasons why they have different max loads.

Edit - oops I read your OP backwards. I thought you had FMJ data and wanted to load JHPs with the FMJ data. Be that as it may the data is in my understanding not interchangeable.

Last edited:

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    My two cents.. :twocents:

When I’m researching a new load I always perform the following steps.
    1. I review at least 3 different load manuals, I have 6 I think? You can never have to many..
    2. I review the bullet manufacture recommendations, just go the website and check out it or call them and ask for their recommendations..
    3. I review the powder manufacture recommendations, This is extremely important to me as you’ll discover the manuals and powder manufactures are not always on the same page.. The powder manufacture’s have the latest and greatest data.. just an FYI..

Anyway hope that helps, be safe and please continue on your research path..

Link.

P.S.
    Sorry missed your second question..

Yes that's fine.. Just make sure they are all dry before introducing any powder and you’ll be fine..

I would remove the primers first, you’ll need to clean the primer pocket out.

You can find all the primers you want on gunbroker..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Powder loads for the same size weight bullets is generally interchangeable. The biggest issue when it comes to a load is the length of the cartridge. Since a bullets dimensions will be different based on the design of the round.

Hornady's load data does this with all of their loads. They change the COL of the load though.

They have no information listed for Unique in a 115 gn load. However, they do start at 3.9 gns of Bullseye up to 4.6 gns as a max load. Their XTP-HP use a COL of 1.075" and the FMJ-RN round uses a 1.100" COL.

Basically the data on bullet weight charges is pretty much the same. However, it is overall length that will change.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do NOT load the JHP bullets with FMJ load data. The bullet manufacturer should be able to supply you with loading data if the Lyman's manual doesn't.

Yes and no. The critical difference between a JHP and a FMJ is the OAL of the bullet. When both are seated to the same cartridge OAL, the JHP case will have very slightly less internal case volume. Less volume = higher pressure = more velocity.

Depending on the powder, you can probably start at .1 or .2 gr less than the JHP min powder charge, and then work up slowly. Your chronograph will be your main guide as to where you are in the velocity spectrum.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    115 gr TMJ start at 5.6 gr UNIQUE and 6.3 gr is the MAX with a A.O.L. of 1.135. Now, this is for the Speer TMJ... Yours might have a little different configuration. Like mentioned from the last 2 posts... Watch that O.A.L.... That will get you in trouble in this small capacity case faster than a one or two tenths of unique. Good luck !

Also, according to the Alliant phamplet, they say the MAX is 5.5 of unique with a OA of 1.12 when using a 115 gr FMJ. This is max, and they say to start by reducing 10%.

If you are going to use Alliant powders, might call 1-800-276-9337 and ask they send you this pamplet. Last I knew, it was free and got it pretty quick.

Top Bottom