• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Lake County cops are VERY ignorant of the law. I had one in Crown Point tell me that not only was OC illegal, but that I wasn't allowed to carry with a round in the chamber unless I was a LEO. I told him he was incorrect on both counts, and eventually he walked away, telling me to "cover that up" over his shoulder.

I sent an email... I guess they didn't pass the word around. ;)

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I talked to a Schererville LEO today and he commended me for carrying. He said even he doesn't leave his house with out it. He also added that being in "The Region" that a lot of yuppies get scared and SPD get a lot of calls about OCing and when they respond they just varify a LTCH and go on their way!

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I've seen many Leo's and they've seen me all around NWI, and I've never been asked for a LTCH. Sometimes a good morning or just normal pleasantries exhanged. And that even includes the elusive St. John, I was in Alsip Home Nuresery picking up a few thing and a St. John K9 cop was there, seen me, I saw him, he said hello, I said hello. And proceeded to buy my dog food.

OP, you handled the situation well. I've had nothing but good experiences with NWI LEOs. Actually I've had good experiences with LEO's everywhere I've been.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I talked to a Schererville LEO today and he commended me for carrying. He said even he doesn't leave his house with out it. He also added that being in "The Region" that a lot of yuppies get scared and SPD get a lot of calls about OCing and when they respond they just varify a LTCH and go on their way!
    Well the 1101 Cigar Lounge, aka the NWI INGO Clubhouse is in Schererville, maybe us 'south of 30' rednecks, bubbas and hillbillies have had a positive influence on the town's Po-Po :ingo:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well officer, if you are unfamiliar with Indiana Code 35-47, which you are trying to enforce, you might look at the Indiana State Police Frequently Asked Questions. It states that Open and Concealed Carry are both legal.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well officer, if you are unfamiliar with Indiana Code 35-47, which you are trying to enforce, you might look at the Indiana State Police Frequently Asked Questions. It states that Open and Concealed Carry are both legal.

I played this game recently in Highland. The doofus wasn't going to let a little legalese and logic steer him away from his laser focus on being completely and utterly wrong. Repeated attempts to get him to go to the terminal in his squad and look up laws was to no avail.

Sometimes you just luck out and run into "that guy".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know, Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but it would have been funny to reply "19 years, huh? were the first 18 1/2 behind a desk? How am I the first OC'er that you encountered that actually knows the law better than you?"

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Well officer, if you are unfamiliar with Indiana Code 35-47, which you are trying to enforce, you might [strike]look at the Indiana State Police Frequently Asked Questions. It states that Open and Concealed Carry are both legal.[/strike] like to have a chat with my lawyer. You might know his name, it's Guy Relford and he'd LOVE to talk to you, your supervisor, your chief, your city/county council, your mayor, and your union lawyer.

FTFY

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

I may not have made it clear in my OP, but every time I attempted to cite law or correct his ignorance he talked over me and would not allow me to finish. The actual conversation was much longer but since I was accosted suddenly and did not have my recorder with me a lot was lost, and this is just the gist.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Disclaimer:

This is not intended to bash police in general. 99% of all my encounters with police are positive. I am the guy who is polite when I get pulled over when I am speeding and thank the officer when he hands me athe ticket.(not for many years now). Most officers don't even mention acknowlege anything out of the ordinary. My police friends encourage carry however you feel comfortable.

Luke oil has never hasseled me in any way and I have enjoyed their broasted chicken from the same store two times sincewith no incident.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    "No I will not play the part of a patsy to your Hecklers Veto" "Good Day officer"

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Also, even if he refuses to give his name there is no reason why you can't simply walk to back of his vehicle and copy down his plate number. That should give you the information that you need. Now, having said that, I don't think it would make a hill of beans difference. Nothing would be done anyway.

Top Bottom