• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    When I moved here from New Hampshire and read the process needed I was like, WTH, really? Finger prints? In NH you go to the local PD to pick up the application, fill it out, pay $8 (good for 4 years) and give it back to the clerk. Between the locals and the state they have 14 days to give it to you or a written reason why they won't. Mine took 11 days since there was a long holiday weekend in the middle of the process. Every time I renewed I got a call from the local PD to come pick it up within 3 or 4 days. The only time I had been printed prior to moving here was for my last job since I needed FBI / DoD background checks done.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My town is awesome, back when I got mine there wasn't L1 yet. I walked into my local PD around noon. The clerk gave me the sheet, I filled it out while she radioed an officer to fingerprint me. I gave her my paperwork and money order and she said have a seat.

About 12 minutes later the JBT showed up, took me in back, finger printed me. Asked me what kinda guns I had, then said "I'm just curios, I'm kind of the resident gun nut, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." We talked guns for about 5 minutes. Then I took my fingerprint card. Went to the front desk and the clerk gave me my stuff and a big envelope and said put your money order in here for the state and mail it off.

At about 1240 I was at the post office, paid my postage and was back home before 1. I even stopped and got lunch form the local hotdog stand.

Took about 6 weeks for the pink paper to arrive, but the town of Cedar Lake has it right.

Same experience the few times I have renewed 4 year licenses in Avon. I just filed for my renewal for a lifetime this week in Avon, and was in and out in less than 10 minutes total and they mail everything for me.

I'd still rather it was all handled directly through the state, but at least in my case the local has never been a hindrance. However, that they have any possibility to be a hindrance is an issue.

When I lived in FL, it was submit straight to the state. This was about 20 years ago and I just had to get printed by the locals, but you didn't even need to let the locals know why you were getting printed. You filled out all the paperwork, took your FP card dropped it in the envelope with the app, provided a picture, and payment and mailed it all in yourself.

I can see an advantage in having the process go through local LE. In smaller communities where everyone knows everyone, LE more likely aware of who the trouble makers/hotheads/suspected(and with good reason) criminals are. This process gives LLE the means to justifiably "not approve" an application that would not raise any flags at ISP.

Scenario:

An applicant comes into the local station with their hair falling out, no fingernails, black teeth, sores, scratching and babbling incessantly, weighs 65 lbs, reeks of anhydrous ammonia and wants to pay with a combination of coffee filters, animal bones, copper tubing and wiring. There is nothing in the database alluding to any suspicious behavior.

Granted, the scenario may very well be far-fetched but makes my point.

On the other hand, I can also agree with your point when this part of the process is executed by some who overstep their authority and enforce their views in contrast to the law.

One could also argue that the "scenario" is invalid in that constitutional carry should be the law of the land...

I see no value in the locals doing a "screening". Either you are legal and proper via the background check or you are not. This should not be up to the discretion of a local LE agency. They could decide that because you looked like a non proper person (as you describe above) that they don't want you to have an LTCH. There is no justifiable reason to not approve unless you have something that comes up in the background check.

lww

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    West Lafayette
    West Lafayette PD makes you wait 2 weeks after giving them your L1 receipt before they will accept your $50. During that time they have a detective do a background check on you. After 2 weeks you have to call in for the BG check result, and assuming it's clear then you can go in and pay the local fee.

I'm currently at 1 week, 3 days, and counting..

sben763

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    I did the finger prints at west Lafayette police station, went to county sheriffs, paid $50 same day. 4 days later license was in mail. 3 month later had my wife do same thing and she had hers in 7 days. Last week while at a local gun store guy was saying he has been waiting 2 months because of amount of applicants. I'm glad I did mine before the big rush

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My town is awesome, back when I got mine there wasn't L1 yet. I walked into my local PD around noon. The clerk gave me the sheet, I filled it out while she radioed an officer to fingerprint me. I gave her my paperwork and money order and she said have a seat.

About 12 minutes later the JBT showed up, took me in back, finger printed me. Asked me what kinda guns I had, then said "I'm just curios, I'm kind of the resident gun nut, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." We talked guns for about 5 minutes. Then I took my fingerprint card. Went to the front desk and the clerk gave me my stuff and a big envelope and said put your money order in here for the state and mail it off.

At about 1240 I was at the post office, paid my postage and was back home before 1. I even stopped and got lunch form the local hotdog stand.

Took about 6 weeks for the pink paper to arrive, but the town of Cedar Lake has it right.

:yesway: I had a similar experience here in Mishawaka. Always been a good experience at the MPD. Wolds apart from the SBPD were I had to go one time to renew. That was a nightmare.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    West Lafayette PD makes you wait 2 weeks after giving them your L1 receipt before they will accept your $50. During that time they have a detective do a background check on you. After 2 weeks you have to call in for the BG check result, and assuming it's clear then you can go in and pay the local fee.

I'm currently at 1 week, 3 days, and counting..

When did this change? When I got my Lifetime, L1 wasn't active here yet, so I had to do paper prints and wait weeks. When my wife did hers a while back, though, we got her info filled out online, went to WLPD for prints, took everything to the Sheriff's office and everything we needed to do was done, same day. In re-reading your post, I wonder if it's that way because WLPD is the agency doing your background check, not just your L1 location. Gloria over at the Sheriff's office is very efficient about getting these done, and Sheriff Brown is lucky to have her there.

Blessings,
    Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I thought everything got sent to Indy anyways? Why not just deal with the state?

The process (and all the fees) is spelled out in state law. If you want to cut out the middle man, you have to get the law changed.

lww

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    West Lafayette
    In re-reading your post, I wonder if it's that way because WLPD is the agency doing your background check, not just your L1 location.

Correct. I live within the West Lafayette city limits, so the application has to go through WLPD, but I did not get my prints taken there. I had to drive to the L1 location in Logansport to get my prints taken because the wait for an available appointment slot in Lafayette or West Lafayette was at least 2 weeks.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    It was always easy in Plymouth. Fill out app and get printed. Return the next day, after Chiefs reveiw, and send it in to the State. They even printed me for my Florida card - no charge. Every one involved was always friendly and professional.:)

I always felt bad for you guys who are made to kiss ass and jump though hoops for the petty bastards:xmad:

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Gloria over at the Sheriff's office is very efficient about getting these done, and Sheriff Brown is lucky to have her there.

If this is the same lady I dealt with when I dropped off my app at the Sheriffs office I agree 100%! She was a pure pleasure to deal with. Very pleasant and helpful.

jfryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Schererville
    :yesway: I had a similar experience here in Mishawaka. Always been a good experience at the MPD. Wolds apart from the SBPD were I had to go one time to renew. That was a nightmare.

St. Joe County was equally pain free.. Did my L1 prints, went right over to the jail up to the 2nd floor.. paid my local fee,and was in & out in a matter of minutes.

Top Bottom