• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierbdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    I'm wanting to apply for my lifetime LTCH, but I've hit a snag. When I was younger, I was put in counseling for depression, regarding the death of my grandma and mother. Now I'd like to apply for my LTCH, but I can't even remember who my doctors were. I stopped seeing them both when I was 18 (Now 22). How do I get a recommendation if nobody can remember who they are? I've looked around the internet, asked my dad, but all to no avail!

Side note: I was busted when I was 18 for Driving without a License, but never convicted. Just got a ticket. Do I need to put that down as well?

hoosierbdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Not really. I hated the whole ordeal. Never once did I really feel "depressed" it was more along the lines of my father was forcing me to go out of concern. After I turned 18, I just cut all ties

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Put down the DWS but dont put depression.. if you dont know the doctor dont worry. Health Privacy laws are so strict

The op did not say driving while suspended! Just driving without a license.

Hoosierbdog..... Going to a few counseling sessions is not an issue!
    Read the application for the Indiana license to carry a handgun carefully, answer honestly and you should have no problem!
    It wouldn't hurt to talk to someone like Guy ( Relford?) tell him your situation, and I'm sure he can direct you. Good luck!

Edit... Guy Relford , Tactical Firearms Training llc. , a site advertiser and a good guy!

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    When is the last time you read that app?

HSA has changed many things. Question (#4) I think, asks if you have EVER had psych counseling. I have, per the V.A asking me as a 'Nam vet, asymptomatic, to attend group therapy for 6-mo. Met a lot of nice vets there. When it was over it was over. But I had to state the truth on my Lifetime app. And I needed a letter from my shrink. And I got my license. Best not to lie.
    The op did not say driving while suspended! Just driving without a license.

Hoosierbdog..... Going to a few counseling sessions is not an issue!
    Read the application for the Indiana license to carry a handgun carefully, answer honestly and you should have no problem!
    It wouldn't hurt to talk to someone like Guy ( Relford?) tell him your situation, and I'm sure he can direct you. Good luck!

Edit... Guy Relford , Tactical Firearms Training inc., a site advertiser and a good guy!

LoneWolf2554

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    NWI
    I think it would be best (not the easiest) to just put everything down and let it fly. If they question you about it and have to do a little more leg-work, its not the worst thing in the world. Would rather do that than have them dig something up and possibly charge you for withholding information. (though it does seem unlikely with the privacy laws)
    Hope all is better with you now. Best of luck with the process.

hoosierbdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    I've never intended to break any sort of law. I want to do this by the book, but I haven't a clue on how to progress this further. I have sent an Email to Guy, so I'm hoping that turns up something helpful I can use.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Not really. I hated the whole ordeal. Never once did I really feel "depressed" it was more along the lines of my father was forcing me to go out of concern. After I turned 18, I just cut all ties
    That kinda sucks. The decisions that parents make out of concern can follow their kids around all their lives sometimes.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I think it would be best (not the easiest) to just put everything down and let it fly. If they question you about it and have to do a little more leg-work, its not the worst thing in the world. Would rather do that than have them dig something up and possibly charge you for withholding information. (though it does seem unlikely with the privacy laws)
    Hope all is better with you now. Best of luck with the process.
    This is what I would do.:yesway:

hoosierbdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Any suggestions on what to do in the Doctor department? I've spent all my time since posting my first message searching for vague references but have had no success.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Any suggestions on what to do in the Doctor department? I've spent all my time since posting my first message searching for vague references but have had no success.

What about your family Dr. ? Would he/she have helped your father select the place you went to? If so, it might be in your medical records?

hoosierbdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    I've not seen my family doctor since I was 16 and just found out he doesn't even practice in the US anymore (Mission in Africa apparently). My roads seem to be getting slowly cut off

Last edited:

hoosierbdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    I just had a learners permit. It was an emergency and I risked it. I got my full license 2 months afterwards though. I never went to court and mailed in my $150 fine. Everything was fixed and not had any issues with it since

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Who knows what Big Brother really knows about all of us? But as an outpatient therapist in private practice, I am under no obligation to report my client list to anyone, and I don't. I don't know any colleagues who do either. Mandatory reporting statutes for therapist only have to do with harm. We are obligate to report child abuse. We may breach confidentiality to involve others to help keep a suicidal client safe, and we have a duty to warn persons who are under threat of harm by our clients. I have made many a child abuse report. I have on occasion involved LEO for suicidal emergencies in which they intervened and transported suicidal persons to the emergency room for psychiatric assessment and possible 72-hour hold. I have never reported, "John Doe is seeing me for counseling."

If OP's description is honest and accurate...if he was never committed...if LEOs were never involved with him for a psychiatric emergency...if he was never Court ordered for a mental health evaluation....odds are no one is going to know unless he tells them.

One of the places I work requires fingerprinting background checks on all employees. You see lots of stuff on reports but no reports of "saw a counselor."

hoosierbdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Of course my situation is honest and accurate. Why would I withold information from people who have offered great advice so far!

Regarding my counseling, it was YEARS apart. It started at 13 when my Grandma died (Was really the only time I was depressed) Never had any thoughts of suicide though, and it ended when I was 15, at which point my mother died so it started back up again and I was -forced- that time.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    If you wrote and sing this song, or you find yourself singing it, repeatedly, every day, perhaps the LTCH is not for you.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4[/ame]

:D

Top Bottom