• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashenfang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    During a conversation with a LEO friend of mine, he was telling me about another LEO he works with and the disagreement they had regarding LTCH and the number of handguns one can have on their person or vehicle. My friend, who is a LEO, but also an avid 2nd amendment supporter said there is no limit. If he pulls somebody over or stops an individual in the park and finds they have ten handguns on their person and have a valid LTCH, they are GTG.

However, the other LEO disagrees saying that the "wording" on the Indiana LTCH specifically says "May carry any HANDGUN", not HANDGUNS. He believes this wording is clear and that any person carrying more than one would be in violation and is "up to no good"

I took a look at my LTCH and it indeed does say "HANDGUN", but the word "ANY" that precedes it would make me think I can carry as many as I would like.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I would think numerical limits would be written with numbers, not guesswork. And where is the penalty codified? Where is the limit per person and per license codified?

Last edited:

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    He can think that, then he can act on it, and then we can take it to court where he will get his wrist slapped. Acting on "law" created on the spot due to wording will not face an easy day in court, where someone who knows the law can have a say.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    [h=2]an·y[/h] [en-ee]
    adjective1.one, a, an, or some; one or more without specification or identification: If you have any witnesses,produce them. Pick out any six you like.

2.whatever or whichever it may be: cheap at any price.

3.in whatever quantity or number, great or small; some: Do you have any butter?

4.every; all: Any schoolboy would know that. Read any books you find on the subject.

5.(following a negative) at all: She can't endure any criticism.

pronoun6.an unspecified person or persons; anybody; anyone: He does better than any before him.

7.a single one or ones; an unspecified thing or things; a quantity or number: We don't have any left.

:twocents:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    You can use the article posted on here about the guy carrying at the state fair for reference. In it, ISP says there is no limit to the LTCH.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is a variation of Kirk's First Law of the Internet, or in semantics we would call it "corruption".

You know how Gnaw Bone, Indiana got its name, right? As a "corruption" of the French city of Narbonne.

You know why the officer thinks this? Because during the lead up to the new handgun carry licensing bill in Illinois there was discussion to limit the number of guns and magazines. When people hear about the laws OR the proposed laws of other states they graft it onto Indiana law.

1. There is no statute limiting the number of handguns an individual may carry, 1, 3, 23, etc. are all legal (as long as they are not stolen).

2. The language of the Larry is not controlling but as metal posts above, get a dictionary and show the officer the definition of "any". His 7th grade Language Arts teacher will be unhappy.:D

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    "However, the other LEO disagrees saying that the "wording" on the Indiana LTCH specifically says "May carry any HANDGUN", not HANDGUNS. He believes this wording is clear and that any person carrying more than one would be in violation and is "up to no good".

The question going through my head is this... Since LEO have to also possess a LTCH, and most, if not all, carry a back-up firearm; Is he not in violation of his own interpretation of the "law"?
    Last I knew, possession of a badge does not place one ABOVE the law. PLease correct me if I am wrong....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A LEO may have a Larry if they choose, or if mandated by a department (I am unaware if any do). However, LEOs are exempted from needing a Larry as per Indiana law.

Let's look at who does not need a Larry to carry:

35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this
    chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2)
    sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or
    persons authorized by the commissioner in writing to carry
    firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement
    officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of
    the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7)
    regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or
    receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are
    going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8)
    employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9)
    employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    or
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing,
    repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such
    person having in the person's possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the
    usual or ordinary course of that business.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    (Ken) Gunn v State, 49A02-1102-CR-82 (2011) http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions...0241103pss.pdf
    The law is what it is. It is unreasonable for the police to apply their own misunderstanding of it as if it were law.

This is easy and if you ever get to speak to this derp here's the argument you need to have with him as it was already mentioned previously

What is the penalty for having multiple handguns? Where is the IC that states this is a no no?

Since there isn't any the folks who saw forth to make a Larry a requirement are using the word "any handgun" meaning if you can carry 120lbs of glocks then go ahead. There's no penalty because it is worded to mean the plural. Were he to arrest someone for having multiple hg's with only 1 Larry he would have a difficult time writing his report since he would have to note what law was violated.

I mean how does one apply for a second LTCH so I can carry a 2nd weapon?

Oh you can't. Why?

Because you're covered under your single license. Kinda like you can drive a different car under one license. You can serve different liquors under one license. I can treat multiple patients and work for different agencies under one EMT license...

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny, mine says "License to Carry Handgun". The word "any" is nowhere to be found. It doesn't say "a" handgun nor does it say "handguns".

License to carry handgun, in pocket, and in shoulder holster, and in waistband holster, and ...

Not grammatically correct but also not limiting.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    And a LEO may only carry one gun on strength of his badge? So a LEO who carries a duty weapon and a BUG without a LTCH is violating the law? Good.

And if the LTCH said "handguns" then I can ONLY legally carry MORE than one, with no actual limit? (i.e., may NOT carry less than two)

Yeah, that makes sense. What was said officer drinking at the time he issued his learned opinion on the law. To which, BTW, the courts will give ZERO as in "not any" deference if it comes to that.

Some officers say the darndest things.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    When people hear about the laws OR the proposed laws of other states they graft it onto Indiana law.
    Can it also be added, "And/or, in precatory fashion, they attempt to insert or squeeze out of the text that which they wish it actually stated?"

This is a variation of Kirk's First Law of the Internet...
    :laugh: Not again.

Just for fun:

<Courtroom scene>

"Your Honor,

Notwithstanding the broad applicability of Kirk's First Law, due to the tenuous connection in the particulars of this case we ask for a finding that our client, Maximus Pachydermus Purplinius, member of the endangered species Rhinocerosidae, be not compelled by the Court to remit as remuneration a further quantity of .45 ACP to the Juridical Director of the Royal Reformatory, whose larders must surely be bursting at the seams - indeed - overflowing with vast quantities of the aforementioned bounty."

Top Bottom