• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrs.BDBHoover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    I am also a 911 Dispatcher. We have many jobs in dispatch, our biggest one is keeping the officers on the road safe. Any information we can give them about the person or previous runs to the address is for their safety.
    Hazard files are different, they go off an address, so if there have been issues with that address involving guns, we can put that information into our computer and let the officers know.
    Different counties have different computer systems. So what Hamilton County has, another county may not. Our county goes off of IMPD (not a fan of the computer system). I've worked for Hamilton County in the past and like that computer system better.
    Anyways....all that information is to keep officers out on the road safe. If you were an officer doing a traffic stop you would want to know if someone had a LTCH.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Quite frankly it's none of their business during a traffic stop. That is typically a ticketable offense. No reason to disarm someone minding their own business going 5 mph over.

Officer safety is a sham for being dominant and feeling like they have control or power. If a person has a history of pistol whipping ******* LEO then tell them. If not then let the thing be understated.

We applied through ISP and our locality FOR the license, yet an individual officer deems me unsafe to posess a loaded gun in their presence. It's like an elitist mentality, and the truth is it makes the whole LCTH process a ****ing sham. If you are going to divulge that info, and waste my time, then I say you are violating my privacy no?

I am a proper person, with a license to carry provided by the state police, after a background check. I am a person who should never be disarmed, but sadly we are around every damn corner.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Anyways....all that information is to keep officers out on the road safe. If you were an officer doing a traffic stop you would want to know if someone had a LTCH.

A) It's not the people who are legally carrying that I am in the least bit worried about.

B) So you provide this information, what does the officer change about his approach? Does he draw immediately and then approach? Again, he should approach with caution regardless, and I am much less worried about a guy legally carrying a gun than someone else that I'm not "warned" that has a gun. :n00b:

C) I hope you've got thick skin and hang around for a while.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    A) It's not the people who are legally carrying that I am in the least bit worried about.
    But what of the one's that are legally carrying while doing something illegal.

B) So you provide this information, what does the officer change about his approach? Does he draw immediately and then approach? Again, he should approach with caution regardless, and I am much less worried about a guy legally carrying a gun than someone else that I'm not "warned" that has a gun. :n00b:

It depends on the stop. If you're speeding and that's it, then no. If you're swerving all over the road and are likely going to go to jail for DUI, then cops want to know as many people aren't fond of going to jail and feel it's the end of the world for them.

A lot of people here feel that an LTCH is a perpetual awesomeness card. Once you get one, you can never do anything wrong...ever. You will never drive drunk, beat your wife when you catch her cheating on you, molest your 14yr old step daughter for a little over 2 years, or after being stopped for a tail light out, shoot a cop in the chest and face, assume he's dead, then go get your ak and shoot at more cops. The above references were all from the last 4 days of LTCH holders not being awesome anymore.

C) I hope you've got thick skin and hang around for a while.

you'll need it here :D

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    "Can't get duty to inform passed? We'll show them!"

I can't understand why cops are so interested in the legal possessions of law abiding citizens.

You know, just because one has a pink piece of paper doesn't mean they will be 100% law-abiding for infinity. I recall at least one individual with a LTCH and I'm shocked it was issued. There is a big difference between convictions/criminal record and your basic police documented incident of violence/intoxication/property damage with no charges ever being filed. Some of the behavior documented from witnesses, in two or more reports, would make me question if the person should have had a LTCH. Especially when combined with criminal charges that were usually dismissed in some plea agreement.

Remember, the law is very specific when it deals with the issuing of licenses. If one moves to Hamilton Co. and stays out of trouble, there will be no local police reports. However, if that same person was documented in three separate drunken spats where they broke stuff, damaged vehicles, etc., but there were never any criminal charges, the authorities in Hamilton County may never find those cases without specifically searching the IMPD report database.

While I'm sure all the law-abiding stopped during infractions feel the information isn't needed, it is needed for issues that might be criminal related. I likely wouldn't change my approach or anything during a traffic stop, unless I had reason to believe something more than an infraction issue could come up (ie: Person is drunk, person appears high, person recently had a restraining order served/issued, person was very rude/seemed angry when I first spoke with them, etc..). It is just nice to know. Some officers may take the gun, some may decide they will complete the traffic stop by having the person exit the vehicle, others may just decide to go to the passenger side to return documents, etc.. All depends on the individual officer.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    ...If you were an officer doing a traffic stop you would want to know if someone had a LTCH.

Why? Someone with a LTCH has already been reviewed and found to be a proper person.

If I were an officer during a traffic stop, I'd be more concerned with someone illegally carrying a firearm.

How does telling the officer that I have a LTCH make him any safer? Oh, maybe like TSF - he can "feel" safer? Is that it?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Have to agree with a lot of what has already been said. Just because a person has an LTCH does not automatically make them a good person. But it would indicate a higher probability that they are not a criminal.

Whether a person has an LTCH or not should not dictate how an officer initially approaches that person. By this I mean that having an LTCH and being legally armed does not pose a risk to the officer. However officers should approach all stops with caution. Just like asking for and removing the gun does not make the situation any safer, because there could always be another gun. IMO the safe thing for everybody is to leave the guns alone unless there is a specific reason to remove them from the situation.

I really don't mind my LTCH information being linked to my drivers license. The pink paper could be easily copied or faked. Yes it is an easy and quick way to identify ourselves but ultimately the officer should double check to make sure it is valid. This will make it easier for them. Valid LTCH means no further questions about the handgun. "Hey my both my drivers license and gun license are good. Thank you for your time. Am I free to go?"

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Have to agree with a lot of what has already been said. Just because a person has an LTCH does not automatically make them a good person. But it would indicate a higher probability that they are not a criminal.

Whether a person has an LTCH or not should not dictate how an officer initially approaches that person. By this I mean that having an LTCH and being legally armed does not pose a risk to the officer. However officers should approach all stops with caution. Just like asking for and removing the gun does not make the situation any safer, because there could always be another gun. IMO the safe thing for everybody is to leave the guns alone unless there is a specific reason to remove them from the situation.

I really don't mind my LTCH information being linked to my drivers license. The pink paper could be easily copied or faked. Yes it is an easy and quick way to identify ourselves but ultimately the officer should double check to make sure it is valid. This will make it easier for them. Valid LTCH means no further questions about the handgun. "Hey my both my drivers license and gun license are good. Thank you for your time. Am I free to go?"

This is incorrect. It is no tlinked to your DL, it is linked to YOU. Any identifying factors that the LEO can look you up by can show your LTCH status. Name, address and DOB is sufficient.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is incorrect. It is no tlinked to your DL, it is linked to YOU. Any identifying factors that the LEO can look you up by can show your LTCH status. Name, address and DOB is sufficient.

Well that would make sense. Afterall not everybody has a drivers license. I sometimes forget that, a DL has sort of become the default and acceptable form of personal identification. Thank you for the clarification.

Basically if I was ever questioned about my LTCH I should be able to show them my pink and possibly my FL concealed weapons license (which has picture ID and DOB). They now have absolutely every piece of information they need for a quick reference check and I am on my way.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    Didn't the Supreme Court rule at one time that the FBI couldn't maintain a database of gun owners in the US? Or am I mistaken? If they did, then it seems to me that this seems to be on the same order and would be in violation of that ruling.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Sure, it is POSSIBLE that a person with a License To Carry MIGHT be a criminal, but statistically, we commit less than 1% of all gun crime, so why aren't LEOs MORE worried about the other 99%?

LEOs, that are also private gun owners, still perpetuating negative/false stereotypes about gun owners.. :n00b:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I am also a 911 Dispatcher. We have many jobs in dispatch, our biggest one is keeping the officers on the road safe. Any information we can give them about the person or previous runs to the address is for their safety.
    Hazard files are different, they go off an address, so if there have been issues with that address involving guns, we can put that information into our computer and let the officers know.
    Different counties have different computer systems. So what Hamilton County has, another county may not. Our county goes off of IMPD (not a fan of the computer system). I've worked for Hamilton County in the past and like that computer system better.

Why ?

Top Bottom