• ...and so much more!
  • Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    BoR, the "felony stop" scenario based upon information gathered during the recent traffic stop is precisely my concern.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    Be glad you don't live in Ohio.

When stopped by LE for a traffic stop or any other official LE business, we must notify if we are carrying. Ohio does include if we have a CHL in the database, and it does come up even when running your plates before the stop. There have even been incidents where the LEO was not notified by the person he pulled over, who was not carrying, and the LEO started badgering the person about not notifying anyhow. You also wouldn't believe the number of free serial number checks we get in Ohio on top of this. Le in Ohio have the right to disarm if they want, and you can see them in their car reading the serial number to dispatch.

I also know of one case where the spouse of a CHL holder was harassed for not notifying, and she did not have a CHL or a firearm.

This problem is something we are definitely trying to get fixed.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Hello and welcome to the new guy.

I'm a dispatch supervisor for one of our larger cities. Maybe I can clarify a few things quickly.

1.) As an earlier poster noted before, local agencies have a database they can check that will list who has applied for and received a LTCH.

2.) The BMV experimented with a system that tied into ISP's firearms database that would indicate on your driver's licence inquiry return (information the officer gets back when he checks your driving status) whether or not you posses a LTCH. It did not work.

3.) An officer can request their dispatch run a LTCH check on a person through IDACS (Indiana Data and Communications System) that links into the ISP firearms sections database. The officer usually only does this to verify a person does in fact have a LTCH in the event the person claims they have one but can't produce it. Sometimes the officer wants one checked to verify it is authentic. Typically we need either your LTCH License#, or your Name & DOB to do this inquiry. The only information that is returned is the same information that is listed on your LTCH.

4.) There is no "tracking" of any sort indicating that you posses a firearm at the state/national level unless you have really screwed up and gotten on the radar of some Federal Law Enforcement agency that is trying to keep tabs on you. For instance...Secret Service flags people all the time as "persons of interest" and will indicate miscellaneous information on the return like "Check subj's for weapons and not what type, etc." Usually in this case it might be someone that has made public threats against the President or some other protectee and the USSS just wants to keep tabs on the individual. When a LEO runs their information it auto-notifies the USSS of which agency in the USA has made contact with the individual. The USSS usually follows up with a phone call later to determine the disposition.

Let me quantify the above by also stating that your local law enforcement agency/dispatch center may flag individuals with alerts, etc at an officer's request. There is no law that prevents them from doing so. In my agencies computer, we flag people that are known to be mental/emotional, have a history of resisting or battery on a police officer, and even flag people that have been known to carry scanners. Some LEO's in my agency also flag addresses of residences after they have responded and noticed a shotgun propped up behind a door or other firearms in the house. They do this for officer safety so that they know for future runs to an address that firearms are available to the "suspect." However, good police officers respond and react to all situations as if firearms or other dangers are always present, so I wouldn't expect to be treated differently.

Hrmm... the USSS is starting to sound like the Geheime Staatspolizei

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Some LEO's in my agency also flag addresses of residences after they have responded and noticed a shotgun propped up behind a door or other firearms in the house. They do this for officer safety so that they know for future runs to an address that firearms are available to the "suspect." However, good police officers respond and react to all situations as if firearms or other dangers are always present, so I wouldn't expect to be treated differently.

How on earth can this be legal/Constitutional?

glockjho15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    I am in law enforcement and have not heard of any state wide effort to track LTCH holders through the BMV. Eventhough I would not be suprised if it was done in any other state than the great one of Indiana.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am in law enforcement and have not heard of any state wide effort to track LTCH holders through the BMV. Eventhough I would not be suprised if it was done in any other state than the great one of Indiana.

Thanks for your input, officer, and :welcome: to :ingo:! You may not have noticed, but this thread is over a year old; nonetheless, it looks like you're going back to see all the INGO goodness of the past couple of years.

Sometimes we have new folks come in and go through all the old threads, adding a post with no significance to an old thread, trying to quickly get up to 50 posts and the Classifieds, so it's refreshing to find an old thread with a new post that actually has some substance to it.

Again, thanks for your input and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom