• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepjester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    I am wanting to start my first AR build and had a few questions. What kind of lower is the best to start with milled or forged or does it matter and why? Is there a certain brand name that is better than others. I am wanting quality parts for a good reliable gun when finished. This gun will be mainly for plinking but I would also like to get into shooting sports like 3-gun eventually. Thank you.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I really haven't heard of any bad lowers. I'm sure some will have machining with a little more loose tolerences but they still work fine. I would just find the style and roll mark you want and go from there.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    any lower will do for a first build of a standard AR15 unless you are going for a high end accuracy fancy schmancy rifle, then you may want to use a billet upper/lower combo.
    Double Star, Rock River, Palmetto State Armory, Del-Ton, Stag, Spikes ... take your pick.
    I would spend $100-125 for a bare lower now that the crazyness has subsided.
    Maybe a little more for a known name brand like Spikes or RRA if you want to pay extra for that.
    Sometimes buying a better known name brand lower can help with re-sale down the road if you want to sell or trade it some day.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'd love to find a Magpul billet lower. I would pay a PREMIUM. Unfortunately there was a VERY limited production.

I'm currently debating which lower to get for my 4th build. The GF is buying me a lower in the $130 range but contemplating on giving her an extra $70 to get another CMT billet lower... might have to start a poll.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I'm currently debating which lower to get for my 4th build. The GF is buying me a lower in the $130 range but contemplating on giving her an extra $70 to get another CMT billet lower... might have to start a poll.

Why not just pole your GF? :):

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The only difference in the lowers I've handled has really been how easily and crisp the magazine locks in. I've found that I love my YHM lower, but really the only difference is that I can easily insert the magazine and hear it click, as to where with a Delaware Machinery lower, I've never heard a magazine "click" into place with one and it usually deserves the usual "tap" to get it to seat.

For that being the only difference, I'm not sure the $70-80 price difference of the YHM is really worth it. I only bought the YHM at the time because the people with the Delaware lowers wouldn't give me the time of day so I went to another booth.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I like billet lowers, they just look unique, the lines seem better, finish seems better; they just add weight since they're chunky. I'm really thrilled with my Seekins lower. Battle Borns are nice but really aren't that intricate for a billet lower. Black Rains are nice but I've found you get a nice sharp lip where the trigger guard meets the grip. POFs are unique but.....expensive. Head Down billet lowers seem nice and are lighter than most billets. Now there are MagTactical magnesium billet lowers, not bad price wise and they are light. Lots of other options, just depends if you like the way they look and what brand you like.

If Seekins' forged lower is half as nice as their billet, I'd go that route.

Just throwing it out there, I wouldn't get a polymer lower though.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have built out two Aero Precision lowers from Bradis and I am going to build out two more when the parts come in. They're fairly cheap (around $100 I think?) and seem to be good to go so far.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I believe Aero Precision makes lowers for Surplus Ammo and Arms. I have an SAA and am happy with it. Good quality for the price. Spend your hard earned money on a quality upper and trigger. The lower only looks pretty.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I have to disagree with those saying all lowers are the same with the only difference beng the roll mark.

Seekins and Noveske are not the same as delton and PSA. Lowers are 80-100$ for a reason just like lowers are 250-350$ for a reason. Quality and spec matter

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have to disagree with those saying all lowers are the same with the only difference beng the roll mark.

Seekins and Noveske are not the same as delton and PSA. Lowers are 80-100$ for a reason just like lowers are 250-350$ for a reason. Quality and spec matter

This ^^^ just adding on. Most forged lowers are similar. Some LPKs might fit better in certain lowers though even if both are mil-spec. When it comes to billet lowers though there can be a bit more variation from one to the next. I feel a CMT TAC is my favorite at $200 but if you have the cash, a Seekins or maybe an AXTS but that'll run you $430 just for the lower... ouch.

jjacobs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indy S./Bloomington
    Match lowers like JP, Noveske Gen II, etc look and feel phenomenal. However, IMO save money on the difference between a nice CNC machined billet lower and a hammer forged one and put that $ towards a nice trigger or more expensive barrel like WOA, noveske, JP.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

I am willing to learn. Please detail how a lower has any effect on accuracy or function.

Consider this, hold a complete lower in your lap for a few hours and study it. You should conclude that it is simply a housing to hold the trigger group and a place to hold the magazine. The buffer tube screws into the back of it but that certainly has no real impact on accuracy or function.

How is a $80 lower inferior to a $250 lower?

Top Bottom