• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wreaver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Right over there!
    Okay, if you've seen my posts you know I'm working on my first AR-15. I've got the upper and some other parts but I have a question about the lower.

How important is the stripped lower receiver in the build? My upper is a BCM w/ BCM bcg. I hear a lot about franken rifles and reliability....so in regards to the stripped lower and the lower parts kit, I was going to just use PSA for the whole lower build, or would you do something like a spikes lower build, if I could find a spikes lower that is, lol. And use Spikes parts for the lower?

thanks in advance.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have a 16" BCM M4 Upper on a PSA lower and they fit together flawlessly. I could not be happier with my rifle.
    009-3.jpg

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Okay, if you've seen my posts you know I'm working on my first AR-15. I've got the upper and some other parts but I have a question about the lower.

How important is the stripped lower receiver in the build? My upper is a BCM w/ BCM bcg. I hear a lot about franken rifles and reliability....so in regards to the stripped lower and the lower parts kit, I was going to just use PSA for the whole lower build, or would you do something like a spikes lower build, if I could find a spikes lower that is, lol. And use Spikes parts for the lower?

thanks in advance.

As far as the lower, you'll notice different roll marks between Spikes and PSA (from most I've read, that is the only difference as they're machined in the same shop...might have changed since I last searched). Possibly a slight difference in finish (I didn't in my 2 PSA and the 5 Spikes the dealer brought out). The LPK that came in my PSA kit seems like it'll do the job just fine or if you wanted, you could upgrade the LPK. The PSA lower should be a little cheaper than the Spikes (PSA is $79.99 right now Spikes $115-ish).

Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I have built many AR rifles, and have yet to find a bad lower receiver. If the lower is mil-spec then you will be fine. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new rifle.
    Hoosier

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It doesn't matter but I like things to match when they can. If you want the finishes to match I'd definitely get a BCM lower. If it doesn't matter to you then go with the roll mark you like. I have a RRA LPK and a Spikes Enhanced LPk. Both have good triggers.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The lower is a box to house the parts. Some are fancy, some are plain, some are finished better than others. All in all, pick one with a rollmark and price you like and go for it.

Jpfledderer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Westside
    I just put my first lower together. Spikes lower with a DPMS kit. Pretty simple. Watch a video online for easy step by step instructions. Good luck!

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I have 3 different AR's that I've built using 3 different lowers and haven't had a problem out of any. Like the others have stated, buy the one that you like the most and fits your budget. As far as LPK's go, I've used RRA's, DPMS, and a no name kit from the 1500. All have worked for me.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Here is my latest build, colt socom 14.5" heavy m4 barrel, pinned and welded phantom FH and colt upper receiver, J&T Dist bolt and carrier, PSA LPK and stock and a MI Flip up rear. It's a total mutt, but should run fine.
    Forgot to say I built mine on a no logo Delaware Machine lower as well.
    2012-04-09_15-31-36_243.jpg

2012-04-09_15-31-36_243.jpg

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I bought a new Deleware Mach. lower (striped), DPMS LPK, a used no name upper with a Colt barrel, and an unknown BCG. It goes bang every time, and I can hit what I'm aiming at.

picture.php

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    interesting thread here as i am in the same boat. i'm new to the ar world so i figured, why not just jump in and build one. i've got a spikes stripped lower, a cmmg parts kit and a spikes carbine buffer tube. i'm looking at the s&w 5.45x39 uppers pretty hard. if i don't go that route, it'll be one in 7.62x39.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom