• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    I finished building a spikes lower for my 300 blackout pistol. Everything went together smoothly and when I went to mate it with my upper, it is extremely tight. To the point of I have to use a punch to get the takedown pins out. The upper is a brand, MAS Defense, good upper, but that's for another thread. I've build a lower before and tried mating my MAS to that and it matched up perfectly. I took the upper off that one and put it on the Spikes and found the same problem so the culprit is definitely the lower. If it makes a difference, the parts kit in the spikes is a PSA kit.

I've tried oiling up the pins but every time it goes tight. The front pin seems to be alright, it's the back that is a pain in the butt. Any suggestions besides lightly filing the rear takedown hole on the lower because I would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks in advance!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've had a few that were tight to the point of needing to tap the pins in/out... after a couple dozen times they loosened up to the point I could use my fingers. I consider it a good thing.

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I use one particular upper in all my builds to get the same results as what you describe. Less wiggle=less variance=more consistent. Do as RVB said and it should help, if not, you may have a burr in on of the holes.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I've had a few that were tight to the point of needing to tap the pins out... after a couple dozen times they loosened up to the point I could use my fingers. I consider it a good thing.

-rvb

x3. My Noveske Gen2 N4 Lower was a tight fit on my Noveske MUR Upper. After having and shooting it for the past 6 months, I can finally loosen the pins with my fingers.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    +1 You want it tight! DO NOT go filing on anything! It will get better as you wear it in. The rear takedown pin is the only one that you will need to pull when you clean the rifle anyway. No need to pull the front unless you plan on putting another upper on it. This happens when you put 2 different brands together and can even happen with the same brand. It could be worse, you could have a set that mate together loose as a goose!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    x5. Most likely you just got an upper and lower at the opposite ends of the tolerance range. Don't sweat it. It will wear in as others have suggested.

Top Bottom