• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    After reading this thread it sort of has me worried once I hit my 50 whether I want to offer the one item I am willing to part with here. I know what I want for said item is very reasonable so maybe I will just let it be a safe queen instead of being low balled :dunno:

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Times must be hard, people must be desperate. I've never had so many lowball offers on here. I'm not sure if they can't afford what they want to buy, or if they are trying to buy cheap to sell for a profit. Maybe they think EVERYONE selling on here desperately needs the money? Anything I sell/trade goes back into my "gun fund". Gun collecting/shooting/hunting, etc is not a PROFIT hobby. I don't know why so many people think they can make a buck slitting another hobbyist's throat. The concepts of "Pay it forward",etc are long gone. It's like herpes, a guy buys a used Glock and throws it up for $550. Next thing you know, everyone is trying to buy $400 Glocks and list them for $550. It's that 95% of people....

If I pay $550 for a used Glock, I am a fool. I can buy new several places in the same range, and while I do have to pay the tax, I am not taking a chance on your lax gun cleaning and maintenance, what you've done to it before I see it, and what you may have NOT done to it before I buy it. For example, I recently bought a Glock 19 gen 4 on here advertised as new in box, unfired except for the test rounds.

A habit of my is that when I get a gun home, the first thing I do is clean it, new or not. This gun wasn't filthy, but it was not new in box, and it had been fired probably a couple dozen times. The gun was clearly not an unfired weapon, so that part of the ad was false. So, that makes me look for more things. Fortunately, that was all I found with this gun. But, other purchased here and on other forums second hand have typically been dirty, in serious need of cleaning and lubrication, and in some cases, in need of repairs. If I buy that gun at (in the case of a Glock) $500 or so, I've only got $49 to the price of a new gun. It isn't worth the $50 for the headache and the potential issues.

I bought an LCP on here that was filthy, dirty when I got it. It took a lot of cleaning to get it clean, and even then, I did the entire process I use one more time, and still pulled more carbon out of the gun. Then, it functioned better and shot better. Before that, sight unseen, and simply holding a gun for a second hand exchange, the gun didn't look dirty, or bad. But it was filthy, and that was affecting function. Glad I bought it right, because a brand new one is exactly $69 more than what I paid for this one. Was it worth the $69 savings to have to spend time cleaning it twice and getting it clean? Not to me. I'll buy new the next time, and know what I am getting.

Every time I am tempted to buy something used somewhere, I consider the cost of the new and the used, and if the used isn't a significant enough savings, I'll pass on it from this point forward. I don't need the original owners choice of holster, or their extra ammo, or whatever. I will make those choices and purchases myself. When I can buy a new Glock 19 gen 4 for $549, why spend $550 on a used one with a holster I may or may not like? Why spend that money to take your holster mistake off your hands? If I can go $400 for that gun in nearly new condition, the price break makes the used sale very interesting. Otherwise, I'll buy new.

The only time I am buying most stuff used these days are when there are no new items like the one I want (discontinued models), or the gun is a special, unique item.

Ammo is the same way. I can buy most of my ammo cheaper than most sellers want for their ammo on here, and the shipping works out to be no issue when I order in larger quantities. Why spend $20 on a box of Federal 115 gr 9 MM FMJ when I can buy them at Bradis II in four packs for $12.50 a pack?

If you think the market here is low-balling you, consider what you are selling, and what most of the folks who buy on their see on a daily basis. Only 20 years from now will a current firearm have regained value. I bought a Makarov IJ-70 20 years ago at Bradis for about $160. Right now, perfectly maintained and in superb condition, I might get $225-250 for it, with the box, all extras, and everything that came with the gun new still in the box.

Sad truth=there are few guns that are worth what the seller thinks they really are, and there are enough smart sellers on here that know prices, and won't go what you want for most items. Realistically, how can you possibly be critical of someone who knows the prices and knows you are high when you should know yourself they are high.

The prices for most sales are NEVER really reported on here, so the sold items themselves do not hold the true value of a sold item. Most of the sales on here, except for the latest-greatest high demand item you cannot hardly find in stores (Like an S&W M&P Shield in 9 MM) will not go for what they are advertised for on this forum. Instead, the offers will be reasonable or even low-ball, because the higher the price, the less the potential buyer thinks the seller knows, so the more they are trying to get the deal.

Just my opinion, but a little realism might go a long way in the sales forums.:dunno: The worst you can say is, "No, thank you". The worst I can do is not bother to contact you at all. Which would most sellers prefer?

Sorry if this sounds a little preachy, but if you don't want to field a few low-ball offers and politely decline them, then perhaps the second-hand sales listing here are not for you.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    After reading this thread it sort of has me worried once I hit my 50 whether I want to offer the one item I am willing to part with here. I know what I want for said item is very reasonable so maybe I will just let it be a safe queen instead of being low balled :dunno:

I just accept reasonable offers and pass on low offers, easy as that. It's not any different than any other "free market" place like craigslist or the local paper, if the price is right someone will pay for it.
    Low balls may waist a little of my time, but they keep me entertained while I wait for the right buyer. I get some low balls on INGO, but not like I do on CL.
    To some it up, you have to know when to hold and know when to fold. :joke:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    who's crying about my 700 dollar glock?

know why its overpriced?

cus it can be. and people will pay more than its value.

fenway said it right.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    who's crying about my 700 dollar glock?

know why its overpriced?

cus it can be. and people will pay more than its value.

fenway said it right.

Yep.
    Some people put more value on the inability to trace the purchase than they would the price in the store.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    If I pay $550 for a used Glock, I am a fool. I can buy new several places in the same range, and while I do have to pay the tax, I am not taking a chance on your lax gun cleaning and maintenance, what you've done to it before I see it, and what you may have NOT done to it before I buy it. For example, I recently bought a Glock 19 gen 4 on here advertised as new in box, unfired except for the test rounds.

A habit of my is that when I get a gun home, the first thing I do is clean it, new or not. This gun wasn't filthy, but it was not new in box, and it had been fired probably a couple dozen times. The gun was clearly not an unfired weapon, so that part of the ad was false. So, that makes me look for more things. Fortunately, that was all I found with this gun. But, other purchased here and on other forums second hand have typically been dirty, in serious need of cleaning and lubrication, and in some cases, in need of repairs. If I buy that gun at (in the case of a Glock) $500 or so, I've only got $49 to the price of a new gun. It isn't worth the $50 for the headache and the potential issues.

I bought an LCP on here that was filthy, dirty when I got it. It took a lot of cleaning to get it clean, and even then, I did the entire process I use one more time, and still pulled more carbon out of the gun. Then, it functioned better and shot better. Before that, sight unseen, and simply holding a gun for a second hand exchange, the gun didn't look dirty, or bad. But it was filthy, and that was affecting function. Glad I bought it right, because a brand new one is exactly $69 more than what I paid for this one. Was it worth the $69 savings to have to spend time cleaning it twice and getting it clean? Not to me. I'll buy new the next time, and know what I am getting.

Every time I am tempted to buy something used somewhere, I consider the cost of the new and the used, and if the used isn't a significant enough savings, I'll pass on it from this point forward. I don't need the original owners choice of holster, or their extra ammo, or whatever. I will make those choices and purchases myself. When I can buy a new Glock 19 gen 4 for $549, why spend $550 on a used one with a holster I may or may not like? Why spend that money to take your holster mistake off your hands? If I can go $400 for that gun in nearly new condition, the price break makes the used sale very interesting. Otherwise, I'll buy new.

The only time I am buying most stuff used these days are when there are no new items like the one I want (discontinued models), or the gun is a special, unique item.

Ammo is the same way. I can buy most of my ammo cheaper than most sellers want for their ammo on here, and the shipping works out to be no issue when I order in larger quantities. Why spend $20 on a box of Federal 115 gr 9 MM FMJ when I can buy them at Bradis II in four packs for $12.50 a pack?

If you think the market here is low-balling you, consider what you are selling, and what most of the folks who buy on their see on a daily basis. Only 20 years from now will a current firearm have regained value. I bought a Makarov IJ-70 20 years ago at Bradis for about $160. Right now, perfectly maintained and in superb condition, I might get $225-250 for it, with the box, all extras, and everything that came with the gun new still in the box.

Sad truth=there are few guns that are worth what the seller thinks they really are, and there are enough smart sellers on here that know prices, and won't go what you want for most items. Realistically, how can you possibly be critical of someone who knows the prices and knows you are high when you should know yourself they are high.

The prices for most sales are NEVER really reported on here, so the sold items themselves do not hold the true value of a sold item. Most of the sales on here, except for the latest-greatest high demand item you cannot hardly find in stores (Like an S&W M&P Shield in 9 MM) will not go for what they are advertised for on this forum. Instead, the offers will be reasonable or even low-ball, because the higher the price, the less the potential buyer thinks the seller knows, so the more they are trying to get the deal.

Just my opinion, but a little realism might go a long way in the sales forums.:dunno: The worst you can say is, "No, thank you". The worst I can do is not bother to contact you at all. Which would most sellers prefer?

Sorry if this sounds a little preachy, but if you don't want to field a few low-ball offers and politely decline them, then perhaps the second-hand sales listing here are not for you.

Nicely Done Sir! Nicely Done....

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Which is worse though? A "low ball" offer or an accepted "low ball" offer that changes their mind?

On arms list there was a Beretta Nano listed for $425. I offered $350, having seen them used as low as $325 and new as low as $375. Seller decides to wait and see if a better offer comes in. Two days later my offer was accepted and we agreed on a day and time to meet which was the next day, but the next day get an email saying that the seller had decided not to sell it.

At the time I thought the hand shake had already occurred but it didn't bother me that the deal fell through. At least, I didn't make the drive for the meet and no one showed up.

I considered it a fair offer though not a low ball and he must have considered it lowballing. One's man fair price is anothers lowball so its very subjective. I would rather not get an answer or get a negative answer rather than an accepted offer and a change of mind.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Sometimes you can have fun with it. The one that comes to mind most recently was a guy selling a used PPSH 43 pistol with one mag for about what they were selling them new with 3 extra mags at the 1500). So I offered him $250 and acknowledged that he might think it was low, but I've seen them sell for $270 new with only one mag.

His response was something to the effect of "Tell me where you saw them that cheap so I can buy some more". Well, I sent him the link to the online dealer selling them at that price, but I never heard back from him. Not even a "thank you" for the valuable gold mine of PPSH 43 pistols I found for him. I imagine him sitting back in his room with 20 or 30 pistols scattered about, smiling in exquisite contentment. :D

Lowballing is the just a fact of life when you are operating in the open market. Having sold several motorcycles, various electronic gadgets, and more guns than I can count over the past 20 years, you just have to assume going in that your offer will be countered. If you don't want to budge, then don't. Otherwise, decided what you'll accept and negotiate for the best price you can above it. I've got a couple of guns out on the boards now. One I posted with a firm price, because I'll just keep it for less than I posted. The other, I'm willing to talk about. It doesn't offend me that people are counter-offering.

I will admit that selling at a gun show can be a bit different, at least for me. Especially if I'm selling a rifle. By the time I've lugged that stupid thing around for 3 hours, unshouldering it every 5 minutes to show to someone who has absolutely no interest in it at any price but wanted to see it anyway, I'm about ready to to just give it to the next person I see so I don't have to carry it anymore. I definitely have taken a few losses due to fatigue and impatience that I probably wouldn't have on a gun board.

Maybe I'll just stick to selling things on INGO from now on. :ingo:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    In an open market, price does not shift the demand curve.
    The price will be what buyer and seller mutually come to.
    Too high for anyone? Seller drops it.
    Buyer can't find anything for his low price? Buyer raises his purchase price.
    You can't fix stubborn any more than you can fix stupid.
    The best things in life truly are free.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've learned a lot from some of the classified "vets." If you pay close attention to rant threads like this, you pick up golden info on how to make both sides of the sale go well.

Still some folks will amaze you. As the above fellow mentions, those are the ones to have fun with. When you make it clear and they completely ignore, time for the counter offers.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    The problem is that everyone seems to think guns should ignore the laws of the market simply because they are guns.

Used Items sell at a LOSS - and the more common that item is, the more value it looses.

Third gen Glocks price at $499 NIB in many brick and mortar retailers, and there are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of them floating around .... Yet everyone seems to think their used Glock is worth $400 - $450. If it were any other mass produced similarly priced item, you would be lucky to get 1/2 that (especially if it shows any dings or scratches).

The only reason they ever sell for that is because we as a sub-culture don't use any common sense when it comes to our guns. Logic flies out the window becase we get all wrapped up in our purchases.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This topic has arisen a few times. I'm unsure what it's worthy of concern. If you don't like an offer you receive, don't accept it. Simple! Taking it as a personal affront is non-productive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The problem is that everyone seems to think guns should ignore the laws of the market simply because they are guns.

Used Items sell at a LOSS - and the more common that item is, the more value it looses.

Third gen Glocks price at $499 NIB in many brick and mortar retailers, and there are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of them floating around .... Yet everyone seems to think their used Glock is worth $400 - $450. If it were any other mass produced similarly priced item, you would be lucky to get 1/2 that (especially if it shows any dings or scratches).

The only reason they ever sell for that is because we as a sub-culture don't use any common sense when it comes to our guns. Logic flies out the window becase we get all wrapped up in our purchases.

This is true. No one wants to loose and everyone wants to gain.
    Used is exactly that. Used. NIB prices are right up there for anyone looking to find. No brain-er.
    Just because you have been fondling it does not increase it's value.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

A bit long, but this post is one of the most sensible, common-sense posts on this topic I've read here on INGO. :yesway:

Everyone thinks their junk is "worth" more, but when it's time for that same person to buy something from someone else, they want to "steal" it for cheap. Hypocrisy at its best....

When I sell something used- no matter what it is or how good of condition it's in, I usually list at 50%-60% less of what the going price of new is at the time, then work down from there. The seller gets a fair deal on a good, used item and I get what I think is a fair used price. We both win and we're both happy.

No sense in "gouging" someone...just post a fair price and be done with it. Get over one's-self and your "special" gun or whatever.

My two worthless $:twocents:...

Top Bottom