• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDHOOSIER73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Greenwood
    Looking at purchasing a new hunting scope. I’ve heard that Leupold is excellent low light glass but no experience myself. Any thoughts on them or another good hunting scope? Maybe 1500/2000k

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Looking at purchasing a new hunting scope. I’ve heard that Leupold is excellent low light glass but no experience myself. Any thoughts on them or another good hunting scope? Maybe 1500/2000k
    I got my first Leupold two years ago. A lower end model but still better than any glass I've had in low light. I have two Vortex scopes that are decent but not my Leupold.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have 3 different 2-7 variable scopes on hunting rifles. All work. Quality and price match how I would rank them based on use.
    #1- Leupold VX5 with Fire dot duplex reticle. Best clarity. I’m a fan of a simple duplex reticle. The fire dot is amazing. Lightest one.
    #2- Steiner GS3. Bought this because I didn’t have the money for a Leupold at the time. Great glass, close to the Leupold. No illuminated reticle.
    #3- Vortex Diamondback. First 2-7 I bought. Glass is not quite on the Steiner level. Heaviest one. Gets some distortion on high power. Very capable scope. For my use, I don’t go over 5x and it works well. Probably the best bang for the buck.

I kept changing rifles, so I kept upgrading scopes to match the gun. All of the scopes work on their perspective rifle.

Correction, the Leupold and Steiner are 2-10x.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Another Leupold fan here. I like a variable like 3-9x or 4-12x. As daylight lessons, the lower powers will bring more light into your scope, great for hunting edge of woods/open field at dusk.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Another factor that's often overlooked is magnification range, and its affect on exit pupil.

You want to keep as high of an exit pupil as possible. Preferably above 5mm as a low end; 7mm is better. You can roughy determine this by dividing the objective lens diameter by the current magnification. There are other things that factor in; like multicoatings, erector range, lens quality, etc.

As an example, a 3-9x42 set to 3x will be notably brighter than the same optic at 9x.

If you're serious about low light performance I would recommend avoiding scopes with low end magnification much above 3x. Simpler 3-4x magnification erector assemblies also tend to appear a little brighter with better resolution than more modern 6-8x assemblies. So something like a tried & true 2-10x vs a newer 2-16x for instance.

Besides that, I'd look for fully multi coated glass and a reticle design that's suitable. I'd probably start with Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42, Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42, or Meopta MeoStar 1.7-10x42 in your price range myself, but this very much a personal decision!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Scopes dont bring in light.
    They transmit it
    Yup, exit pupil is a thing.
    The eye can handle up to a certain point.
    People have different types of eyes, clarity and color differentiation.
    They also have different expectations and wallets.
    Then theres application.

One thing many overlook ( no pun intended ) is eyebox. Some scopes are easier to " get behind ".

Leupold used to have an Optical Triangle ad way back IIRC.

In general that brand has been easiest for me to use. Do think that they could up their game a little.
    New turret systems on Freedom and even VX3 series seem kinda mushy.

I dont dial so dunno if they track perfectly.

Am looking at a Mark 3HD 6-18x for my next varmint rifle. Not alpha glass. Dont care. Im not paying thousands on a guided groundhog hunt ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Moved my VX3i 3.5-10x onto a .22 magnum. It worked fine and seemed decent in image and other ( outsode of mushy turret clicks ).
    Am thinking a Steiner 2.5-10x for my Steyr
    30-06.

Like their 1-4x model. Have one on a #1A in .308 win.

The 1-4x says made in USA. Kinda wanted a Euro made scope on my Euro made rifle LOL. Appears made at the old Burris facility. If on sale I might snag one anyway.

My Steyr has a fat looking receiver and a 1" tube scope looked a little scrawny LOL

Top Bottom