• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    My opinion is to go with a 20 gauge if it is primarily for clays. Shooting sports are much more enjoyable if your shoulder isn't sore. I have an inertia system benelli that I love (montefeltro model). I've never fired any other semi-auto so I really can't compare how they feel and hold up etc. Deals can be found though so don't get discouraged looking if you aren't in a hurry. I only have $400 in my barely used Benelli. Yes, this is an exception and not the rule, but you should be able to find a decent semi-auto for that price if you look enough.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    And we wonder where the un informed sheep get their misinformation from :dunno:

:popcorn:

get a life.

in the many years i've been a pistol shooter i've used "automatic" as a broad term, refering to either semi-automatic or fully-automatic. and we all know which i was refering to. though i admit i do not submit posts with a dictionary in hand.

as for everyone else. thank you for a constructive discussion on the topic, it is much appreciated!

adam

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've seen quite a few of the cheaper autos going back to the factory. New and moderately used.

IIRC most were of Turkish build (some Stoeger and Charles Daly marked).

Thick wristed shotguns IMHO suck for wingshooting. But seem to be preferred in some trap guns.

I like the avg Remington field stock in grip and wrist.

My .02........................buy a used 1100. Might not meet the budget, but then you have a lesser chance of regret. Plus if you don't like it, resale is MUCH bettter.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Funny, my '85 Magnum 1100 never got the O rings changed, and it had maybe 2K through it..........sold in '02.

My dad's trap 1100 has had a couple K through it, maybe more by prev owner, and we haven't changed the O rings.

I think it might have something to do with what people oil their guns with. I dunno. Mossberg autos (5500/9200) don't have a good reputation, not sure about the latest ones.

jkershner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    An unquiet solace
    If you are dead set on a new shotgun, the Mossberg undoubtedly has the best reviews. The Stoeger and CZ are roughly equivalent in reputation (in that they are, give or take, a random collection of good and bad reviews).

With regard to the 26" vs. 28" barrel: Tradition holds that 26" is a quick swinging barrel intended for skeet or sporting clays, or hunting in which you will be trudging through heavy brush. 28" is more suitable for trap or "release" hunts, in which the longer sighting plane helps with follow through.

I personally believe that's all a bunch of BS. The bottom line (for me) is, shoot what you feel most comfortable shooting, what fits you best, and what points most naturally FOR YOU. Everything else is unimportant (with regard to barrel length, that is).

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Take a look at

Baikal. I paid 400 for mine new. It eats everything as far as ammo and groups nicely.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    i stopped in my local gun shop and he had a cz712 for $450 used. shortly thereafter i read a very positive review in gun tests magazine on the cz and went back to the shop last night and we made a deal for $375. it is in fantastic condition. i put about 10 rounds through it when i got home and it functioned great. i'm very happy with my purchase and thanks to all who offered input on this. oh and it has a 26" barrel.
    adam

Elmo26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I shoot trap on a regular basis and the answer to the first question on the barrel length I would go with a 28 in. I shoot a Browning Bt-99 but for a semi-auto you can't beat a good 1100 or an 1187 the price range might hold you back to the mossberg but if you could suezze out a few more bucks you can pick up a used one pretty reasonable around 500-600

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Nice thread. This is also a rifle type that I would like to add to my collection. I've seen quite a few semi auto shot guns recently. What is everyones impression on what guage? Do you really need a 12 guage, or will a 20 get the job done?

A shotgun is not a rifle type. It is a shotgun or a long gun. As for the gauge you will ha e to determine that on your own based on what you will use it for. They ha e several different loads for each gauge and the 20 gauge has several good loads for hunting, target( trap and skeet) and home or self defense. Researh research research, dont be affraid to try a 20 and then sell it off or let someone smaller use it. They are good for all day shooting but the target loads and light hunting loads for a 12 can have light recoil as well.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Autoloading....In years past,and I know you youngsters will not remember,a Semi-automatic weapon was called an AUTOLOADER. And indeed...it does just that.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I just picked up a Mossberg 930 and ran 40 shells without a single problem. A buddy picked up one as well (same time/same store) and his will not feed anything but 00 buck shells. I am very pleased with my 930, but he hates his and is sending it in.

Top Bottom