Lost the tip of my trigger finger last night (graphic pic)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I like to "think" I'd do the right thing but you never know until it happens to you. I'm basing my original words and this post as someone who has been involved in more than my share of industrial accidents as a witness, rescuer, first responder or just the guy that drew the short straw and had to recover bits of a hand from the machine that attempted to "eat" the owner but only got away with an appetizer.

In 25 plus years in industrial maintenance, building maintenance and heavy aviation maintenance I have NEVER seen someone injured that wasn't preceded by errors on the part of the "victim". The lost hand; attempting to clear a jam in a conveyor without shutting it down. The arm that was ripped from a man at his shoulder; again, attempting to clear a jam without shutting the equipment down. The "laceration" to an arm that went to the artery; horseplay. I was even involved in the cleanup of a kid that got wound up in between the rear duals of an 18 wheeler, that one prayed to die.

So no, I've never seen an industrial "accident" that I truly felt the company "owed" anybody anything.

:dunno:.......SOooooo........?.........ya think the dude just went in ta work with mindset of "Well I think I'll stick my hand in here......see whut happens...." .......:rolleyes:........:):.........

At's whut Workers Comp's for......an' at's why they pay it.......needs ta pay the dude whutever the injury/med x'penses/ time off/recovery/rehab,etc.......'at it's worth.........an' they WILL.......trus'me........:twocents:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and prayers. I have to say that this has been the most painful thing I have felt in my life. Both emotionally and physically. The injury will effect my 2 hobbies, guitar playing and shooting.I go to see a ONE surgeon Monday to see what further is needed.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Think Slim Whitman had the same trouble and went to a left hand guitar. Just saying. BTW Norco is kind of a light weight pain med. Have some experiece as I crushed my heel bone in July. You are correct about mentally coming to grips with injury. Still think you are pretty tough to take pictures and text in the midst of this. Hang tough.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I feel your pain. I nearly lost my trigger finger at the first knuckle years back as well. It was reattached, however it'll never be the same. I cannot bend it much, andI have little feeling unless I strike it on something or something else to cause pain and then it is EXTREMELY sensitive. Weird how that works. My body actually went into shock when it happened and I was in almost no pain. That is until after leaving the hospital and their numbing stuff wore off, then it was the most painful thing I'd ever felt. I was on a high dosage of Vicodin and was popping I think 500 mg of Ibuprofin on top of that and it was just enough to take the edge off. It still throbbed in pain for some time afterwards.

Even though I still have the end of my finger, the lack of feeling and flexibility causes me to have a difficult time with tasks that were so simple previously. The only way I can swing a hammer and keep it from canting to one side and missing is if I grasp it closer to the head. I can't throw a straight spiral with a football to save my life anymore, and before I was a pretty good GB for an amateur. Working on mechanical things which require small dexterity is impossible with that hand such as squeezing my hand into small spaces to turn a screw or something. It also forces me to pay extra attention to my trigger control since I have no feeling and flexibility. I have to sort of "relearn" my squeeze technique with a few shots each time I pick up a gun. I also have a really tough time with heavy DA triggers because the pressure causes some pain. Some of my nerves got crossed somehow, and clipping too close on one side of my finger nail results in a VERY sharp pain where before I could clip it much closer. I still don't understand that one, but I'm no Dr. Oh, and very cold temps to certain lengths of times makes it hurt, begin to throb as well.

Even though I still have mine, with the little dexterity and feeling in it I would imagine you may come up to very similar challenges. Sorry about your luck, but at least you have the rest of the hand and you don't have to endure months of painful physical therapy like I did. Good luck. I know some others with similar circumstances taught themselves to shoot with the middle finger, BTW. That may be something to try.

EDIT: PS, one thing you'll want to look out for is that once you're out of bandages and protective devices....the scar tissue that is there will tear off incredibly easily. I mean, as easily as grazing it against some rough sandpaper. It sucks, especially when you work with your hands for a living. My finger's spilled a lot of blood from the one little injury. LOL

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm soaking the hand now so I can do a bandage change. I'll take more pics once I get it off. Scabbed over the bandage pretty good

That left a mark! At the risk of repeating advice you probably already have heard.... Relax, heal, eat some turkey and take your meds.
    You lost a part..... but you are still you. People adapt to much worse so don't let it get you down.
    Take care.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    So after a long and ongoing process of rehabilitation, I am cleared to go back to work tomorrow. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.
    Now for more pics. You've seen the before, this is the after.
    Today 1.jpg

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    Your finger looks like that of a farmer I knew, only he took his off in stages. Seems he had a tractor that was not charging. While the tractor was running, he reached out and tapped the belt. Oops! It ran his finger around the pulley and cut it off about the fingernail. Trip to the ER, stitches, and all that.
    Weeks later, the finger had healed, but the tractor still was not charging. The tractor was running, and, yep, he again reached out and tapped the belt, and yep, he again ran that finger around the pulley! This time it cut it off at the first joint. His only explanation was that he must be a slow learner.:dunno:

Top Bottom