• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If your child got lost, where would you prefer it happen?

• Total voters

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    To me this has little to do with the people involved and everything to do with the facility. The presence of police at the exits, limited exit points, presence of very few children, PA system all lead toward the 1500. How many times have you seen a child crying and screaming at the 1500 compared to the mall or a park? I'm pretty sure that that kid would stand out far more at the 1500.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would have to say the gun show but its not because of LTCH holders there.
    I believe there are many good people who do not have a LTCH and because you have a LTCH doesnt mean that you are a good person.
    If you have a LTCH it means that you never went to jail for a violent crime and never had a felony conviction.
    It takes more than that for me to call someone a good person.You can beat your wife and kids and have a LTCH if you have never been convicted.
    I think lots of people see the LTCH like a "good guy card".I dont.
    Tha being said I believe that most LTCH holders are good people just like most non-LTCH holders are good people.
    I just think the a gun show would be a better place because of the police at the doors and such.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    I wouldn't want to lose my child anywhere of course. I would feel most comfortable with fellow firearm owners. While not every firearm owner is on the up and up. I would tend to agree that your best chance would lie with losing your child at the 1500.

My main reason is that I think you would find a higher percentage of prior military and boy scouts at the 1500. Those groups have a higher likelihood of stepping up and helping.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    There are cameras at Castleton mall. I'm not sure I've seen any cameras at the Indy 1500 fairgrounds facilities. If there are any, they are not able to position them specifically for that event. At the mall, the cameras are strategically positioned for the layout, which stays the same.

The reason this is important is because of the odds of seeing where the child went or to get good information on the perpetrator if, God forbid, he or she were taken by someone.

I picked Castleton over Circle Center for no strong reason other than familiarity.

I'm about 99% sure that the common area of the mall does not have cameras. With that said they do have radios for housekeeping and security. When I worked there and a lost child code came over the radio most everyone stopped what they were doing and started looking.

With that said I choose the 1500 also. Less area to cover.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There are always unattended exits at the 1500, particular towards the back. They are not alarmed either so a simple exit is probably easier at the 1500 than the other places. The crowd is larger and it's easier to hide within it. And on extremely busy days, the PA system can be difficult to hear. I don't think it's a more secure location than any of the others.
    That said, if the child is simply lost, I'd still prefer the 1500. And if someone is going to take control of him and get him back to a parent or proper authorities, I would prefer an LTCH holder.

JRPLANE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Hagerstown, Indiana
    LTCH

The OP was making a point for LTCH holders, While not all being good people, I think the percentile is higher. The fact that they have been finger printed, and back grounds on file makes them less likely to do something wrong, easier to track if they did! There is good and bad in every group, If one was to play the odds I would trust the LTCH above the average.
    Just my opinion

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The conversion from general population to LTCH holder statistically takes from one group and puts that person in the other. It doesn't change their character.(ie.,i'm the same person I was before my LTCH arrived) Of course, one could argue that those with criminal backgrounds won't apply for a LTCH, making the group statistically skewed towards the non-felon population. Either way, I'm not relaxing any more with my grandaughter at the 1500, than I would anywhere else!
    Having the cops a minute away instead of 20 minutes, is the reason I voted for the 1500

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My kids would be "relatively" easy to find, they'd be scoping out the $200 garands that had asking prices of $1000 and up just to rag on the con artists behind the tables!

I don't know where they get it?:dunno:

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I'd say at the 1500 show, BUT, If one of my kids got lost at the 1500 show they'd be on their own 'cause I can't afford the cost of parking & admission any more...;)

Top Bottom