• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Do you remember Brownies barber shop on Spring st. in Jeffersonville? The shop is still there, well, the "new" shop, and Brownies son is still there, I think, it's been several years since I've been there, but Brownie did a fine flat top.
    I never went there. When I was a kid, my father took me all over to get a haircut, but never there. I go to a small shop in Sellersburg now.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I too miss a real barber. I've been going to the same guy for 30 some years. Unfortunately he gotten a little shaky and doesnt trust himself to give do a shave with a straight razor anymore. I really miss that. His haircuts are shakey at times but I still go to him. It's a good BS sesion. When I was a teenager his son and I used to steal his beer so I knind of owe him. :D

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I recommend True Barbers in Carmel, haircut and a straight razor shave for $55.

Home

55 bucks? Yowza!

I'm not handsome enough for a $55 haircut. :):

I've got a nice local barber shop, $13 + tip. Includes straight razor shave on the back of the neck and Motor Trend/Field & Stream to read while I wait.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The shop I went to from about the age 8 until about 10 years ago is still open in North Liberty. Sadly my hair is thin enough now I cut it myself with clippers like most so far.
    Ted, the owner/ barber told me one time he completed barber school in the late 40's

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I remember the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I remember the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    Abe Simpson? I had no idea you were a member here!:):

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I feel as if I've missed out on a good thing. I've always shaved myself. Don't even know if there some one in this area who does it. 'sigh'

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I've used a double edge blade for 5 years now to shave daily. Best part is the blade doesn't get clogged and become worthless if I let it go for a few days. And if it does? Big deal, I bought 300 blades for under $40 shipped. That's about a 5 years worth of blades if I replace my blade weekly. Also get a good badger brush and soap and you are good to go.

I've gone to Red's on Washington St downtown and liked it, but it's not convenient. There's also a good barber in Broad Ripple that also does a straight razor. Both places charge around $20 for a haircut which is worth it for me. I have really thick and crazy hair, colics, uneven hair line and if I don't keep it short and taken care of it will look like a cactus type bush on my head.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom