• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It seems awfully early, but I saw a buck today that had already dropped its antlers. The deer looked normally healthy, and you could see the antler bases but no antlers. In speaking with a local CO, he stated that someone within the last week had shot a mature buck that had already dropped its antlers as well.

Doesn't it seem pretty early still? I have never even looked for sheds until at least the end of January in previous years.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    Every now and then you get some that drop early, last year a friend of mine shot what he thought was a doe in muzzle loader season that turned out to be a buck that had shed.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Stressed animals will drop them early.
    My coworker had a 6 pt facing away one MZ season. He aimed at the base of the skull and fired.
    Walking up it looked like he shot a doe (antlers close by, but detached).

Found a slug in it from reg gun season when butchering. Was healing OK.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Saw a guy back in PA that had a buck that dropped both after he shot it. That was on November 30th. The first he said dropped when he shot the deer as it took off and hit one against a tree. The other fell off while dragging the deer out when it was 15 feet from his truck.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Saw a guy back in PA that had a buck that dropped both after he shot it. That was on November 30th. The first he said dropped when he shot the deer as it took off and hit one against a tree. The other fell off while dragging the deer out when it was 15 feet from his truck.

So do he check it in as antlered or antlerless? haha

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Depending on doe numbers, stress, etc its about that time. I won't start to look for sheds for awhile yet, unless I start to see a lot of trailcam evidence of them dropping. Its usually a bit later where we are anyway. Had a trail cam picture of a buck who still had headgear first week of March last year. Seemed awfully late to me

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I shot what I thought was a REAL nice doe this evening, that turned out to be a buck that had shed. There was still a little mucus and dried blood around the bases. He must have dropped them today or last night.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom