• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The ratio is out of whack! So much so that I have started to call my Sig P238 a mini-1911 to get it back in line. What started out as a simple trip down to say hey to the folks at the Outdoorsman turned into a conundrum that may take hard cash to fix. Last week, I noticed a used Glock 21sf when in the shop and after a couple of days of thinking about it, I decided I did not want it. I already own a Glock 20sf and decided that the 21sf would not bring anything to the table. I already have 1911s, so I'm covered for .45 and if I want a high power, high capacity pistol, I have the 20sf. But, to be sure, I stopped by to take one last look and that's when it happened. They made an offer I could not refuse and I ended up taking it home.

No problem says I. I'm sure I'll not like it and it will gather dust in the safe for the next year, at which point I'll trade it for something manly like a 1911 or anything in 10mm. But, to be fare, I decided to shoot it. At first, all was going well when I found that I could do a much tighter group with my favorite 1911 than I could manage with the Glock. But, while shooting it, I had to begrudgingly admit that it shot pretty well. So I proceed to doing fast transitions to prove to myself how much better I shoot the 1911s that I've had years experience with than I do with this new Glock, which I've owned for less than 24 hours. The first string was with the 1911 and it performed well as usual with hits where I wanted them and quick transitions between targets. Then I shot the Glock and it did better. Must be a fluke, right. I did it again and again the Glock worked better for me than the 1911 I love shooting. So I started to push the Glock 21 a bit and found that this thing is really stable when shooting quickly with different targets. By the end of the day, I decided that I really like this gun.

Holy cow, now what do I do now that my 2 1911s to each Glock ratio has been broken? I could either buy another 1911 or two or I could sell a Glock. As much as I like the idea of picking up another 1911, I'm tapped out with Christmas and all. I'll probably sell a G19 or something, but who knows. If I trade a Glock or two towards a decent 1911, it would put things back in order and my world would function normally once again. Or, I could just accept the current ratio as it is and go on with life. Nah, that's crazy talk. I think I'll start surfing the 1911 builders web sites to see what would give me my next fix.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I suggest buying another 1911 or selling me a Glock. My 1911 to Glock ratio is 4:1 so obviously out of whack. But I also have an M&P so that counts right?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am in the same boat actually considered selling my 1911 in favor of my new Glock 21. Lots of advantages to keep ignoring so I picked one up. Shocked how much I love the thing. Will be making a decision soon as to what to settle on. I don't dig collecting and am in favor of consolidating and getting good with one platform and caliber.

My next move is to try a Glock 9 and see how I do. If I can shoot faster and just as accurate with the 9 I may roll with that and quit hand loading and just buy factory 9 when on sale and in bulk.

Love it!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I suggest buying another 1911 or selling me a Glock. My 1911 to Glock ratio is 4:1 so obviously out of whack. But I also have an M&P so that counts right?

Hey, how about we trade a Glock 19 for one of your 1911s to keep us both in line? I have a 3.5 connector in one of my Glock 19s, so that must be worth a Wilson or Brown 1911, right? Um, right?

I am in the same boat actually considered selling my 1911 in favor of my new Glock 21. Lots of advantages to keep ignoring so I picked one up. Shocked how much I love the thing. Will be making a decision soon as to what to settle on. I don't dig collecting and am in favor of consolidating and getting good with one platform and caliber.

My next move is to try a Glock 9 and see how I do. If I can shoot faster and just as accurate with the 9 I may roll with that and quit hand loading and just buy factory 9 when on sale and in bulk.

Love it!

What type of 1911? I've never had an issue with selling a gun you don't like to support a gun you do, but some 1911s might transcend that. If it's a nice custom 1911, STOP. There's a gun code that says 'Friends don't let friends sell good 1911s' that could come into play. In cases like that, it's best to 'sell' it to a buddy that will sell it back for the same money when you realize what you've parted with. Now, if it's a common production 1911 that just never grabbed you, have at it. Life's too short to waste time with a gun you don't like.

I have had my wife ask the Lord to help you in this. She has far more pull with him than I do.

I appreciate that brother Tim. Have her hurry because I just found myself surfing the ads for a Glock 30sf. I'll go broke trying to right this boat unless I can find an LGS that offers bulk pack 1911 sales.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My first .45 was an M&P 45c that I picked up just a couple months ago. I had taken the opportunity to shoot that model a couple different times when meeting fellow INGOers at the range and really enjoyed that model. I was very happy with it until I bought my first 1911, a Ruger SR1911. Wow! As much as I enjoyed shooting the M&P 45c, the Ruger was SO much better! Since that (short) time ago, I've picked up two more and I love them as well or better than the Ruger. Yesterday, I finally got to shoot my buddy's G41 and it was fun to shoot. He'd done a trigger job on it so it was very smooth and the gun was very accurate. Even better, I enjoyed my 1911's better. Nothing against that G41 at all, I just enjoy shooting 1911's better. My collection is all out of whack right now, only having three 1911's in a collection of 8 handguns, but I vow to fix that as soon as my finances allow! :ingo:

Oh, um, congrats on the new Glock?

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    You do realize that you automatically qualify as a sex offender once you buy more than two Glocks? This is a version of the "Three Strikes" policy. Please get yourself registered. Go around to your neighbors and tell them what you are. They need to keep their kids from making bad life mistakes like shooting Glocks.

You are right: you need to pray to the Lord for help. Ask Him for forgiveness.

When will people ever learn?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Congrats on your new Glock. Now you need to go holster shopping, even though you have a G20, leather is always well respected with new guns. Kydex is good too, I have been seeing a lot of different colors including camos. You could go strong and weak hand dual carry for the winter. (call it the Hoosier Reload, similar to the NY Reload). You can still port a 1911, maybe crossdraw?
    Good luck.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Even if you don't like them, once you get two Glocks, they become like Lay's potato chip. You can't stop. Sooner or later, you've got a bag o' Glocks and you don't want to leave home with it.

The next time you see someone carrying a pillow case like a sack that looks kind of lumpy, you know what happened.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I recently acquired a Glock 30.................... I like it............. but still.............

[video=youtube;Q1OXAi7rNMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1OXAi7rNMg[/video]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ugh, what happened to your CZs? I think this story will only get worse. :ugh:

Still have the CZs. For a long time, I held myself to having CZs for 9mm, Glocks for .40/10 and 1911s for .45. The Glocks are stepping out of bounds a bit though. The G19s can probably be sold as I really don't care for them that much. The G21 will be harder to part with though and will likely be around for a while. The good news is that I've really come to like the 10mm Witness, so CZ type pistols are making inroads into the Glock domain just as Glocks are squatting on CZs turf.

Even if you don't like them, once you get two Glocks, they become like Lay's potato chip. You can't stop. Sooner or later, you've got a bag o' Glocks and you don't want to leave home with it.

The next time you see someone carrying a pillow case like a sack that looks kind of lumpy, you know what happened.

The problem with Glocks is that they are a fungible asset. One G19 is just like any most other G19s and so it's easy to figure out what they are worth for trade or private sales. Then, a friend offers you one for less than it would normally cost and you cannot help but to buy it. It's like someone selling 5 dollar bills for $4. You know you can always get back out of it with no loss, so you say 'why not'. The next thing you know, you have a bunch of them and even own multiples of ones you don't carry, shoot or even really like.

With many other guns, like 1911s, it's much harder to come to an exact idea of what it's worth. Even if you think you know what it's worth, there's a bigger chance of being wrong and ending up on the wrong side of the value curve if it turns out to have timing issues or something.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You do realize that you automatically qualify as a sex offender once you buy more than two Glocks? This is a version of the "Three Strikes" policy. Please get yourself registered. Go around to your neighbors and tell them what you are. They need to keep their kids from making bad life mistakes like shooting Glocks.

You are right: you need to pray to the Lord for help. Ask Him for forgiveness.

When will people ever learn?

On the bright side, I saved a non-Glock owner from acquiring his first one. A friend who works at that LGS was thinking of picking this gun up for himself and it could have started him down the path. I dove onto that grenade for him. Think of it as taking one for the team!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    You are forgiven Brother Tim and you also have earned a credit for a free half hour range time on the Dark Side.. Only large frame Glock I have is the 21SF with the 50GI upper and I wish I could afford to shoot it more. Now that CT makes a reasonably priced laser for it that doesn't make the grip bigger I might actually have Hooch make a IWB for me and start carrying it once in a while. :) It sure would be a show stopper if I needed to use it.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Top Bottom