• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Guys are still out there handloading blackpowder rounds for 50-90 Sharps. The reports of the 41 Magnum's demise are greatly exaggerated! ;)

Think of all the wildcat cartridges out there that only a few people have ever heard of, but the guys who own them still reload for them. Are those dead? My buddy out in Nevada has taken a 375 Ruger case, shortened and necked down to 30 caliber, with all dimensions except the rim and diameter being exactly like a 30-'06. He's called it the 300NDM (Nevada Desert Magnum) and it's truly one of a kind. Is it a "dead" round? Well, not until he is. :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When it comes to guns and various cartridges, the phrase "never looked back" just doesn't make sense, to me. I'm ALWAYS looking back, forward, and even off to the side! :D I guess I just like guns and cartridges too much and won't be satisfied until I've tried 'em all...heck, I even like dreaming up stuff nobody else has shot.

I'd love to own a gun chambered in 41RM, along with a couple hunnert others. I think a 41 magnum in a lever-action carbine would be a slick little rig for deer-hunting with Indiana's silly rules! :)

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    And an aficionado of the .41 Mag would have Desert Eagle (polished chrome bling is optional ;)) chambered in .41 Mag! (Yes, Magnum research did make the Desert Eagle in .41 back when the VII models were being sold.....)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    And an aficionado of the .41 Mag would have Desert Eagle (polished chrome bling is optional ;)) chambered in .41 Mag! (Yes, Magnum research did make the Desert Eagle in .41 back when the VII models were being sold.....)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.
    i would like a COONAN 41 MAGNUM:rockwoot:if they would make one

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've shot a few different .41 mags (and other cartridges/platforms). For hunting deer (and hunting groundhogs), I like the .44.

I guess I'm not as sensitive as some people...........if they want a .41, and not a .44, why not save more $ on lead and powder, with less recoil still, and get a .357?

If they want the power to kill deer then why not add a little insurance and get a .44 mag?

Maybe the .41 appeals to the own one handgun type.

Even then I'd say go .44 mag and use .44 Specials if they want lighter recoil.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    IF.... If way back in 1963, when police officers carried revolvers, S&W had made a easy to carry mid frame (L frame) revolver in a .41 Special rather than a heavy large frame (N frame) in a magnum the .41 might be more popular today. Was a good idea poorly executed. Now that the day of the revolver has passed I see no need for the .41 mag.

Mike

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Many great rounds either fail to ever become popular or fade into obscurity with little or no explanation. The 41RM is one such round. It's not dead as long as guys are out there loading for it. :)

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I dont think its goin anywhere. Its better than a 44 mag at 100 yards and it has a cult following among handgun hunters. I wish people would stop saying 10mm is near equal not even close!

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    ...... Now that the day of the revolver has passed I see no need for the .41 mag.
    Mike
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! That's like saying the 'the day of traditional archery has passed'. I'm happy to report both trad archery and revolvers are alive and well. Large manufactures, like Ruger, continue to add new revolver models to their list and smaller makers like MGA Arms are starting to build revolvers in addition to their fine rifles.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    for a caliber that is restricted to those who reload AND are in that little niche of people, i see it being "available" to them, yet not in the "common caliber lovers" grasp. 30 bucks a box is purdy salty. for fmj even.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! That's like saying the 'the day of traditional archery has passed'. I'm happy to report both trad archery and revolvers are alive and well. Large manufactures, like Ruger, continue to add new revolver models to their list and smaller makers like MGA Arms are starting to build revolvers in addition to their fine rifles.

The days of revolvers as the dominant sidearm in military and law enforcement that is. The last time I saw a lawman with a revolver was back in the early 90's in Arizona. The USAF still had .38 revovers in the mid 80's. Dont get me wrong I really like revolvers as I own more revolvers than any other firearm. S&W, Ruger and a few Colts.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The days of revolvers as the dominant sidearm in military and law enforcement that is. The last time I saw a lawman with a revolver was back in the early 90's in Arizona. The USAF still had .38 revovers in the mid 80's. Dont get me wrong I really like revolvers as I own more revolvers than any other firearm. S&W, Ruger and a few Colts.

Well, maybe the last lawman you saw with an open carry revolver was in the 90's, but you would be pretty surprised by how many LEO's have a concealed backup piece that holds six and will make ya dizzy. ;)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I reload so I have always been on the lookout for a 41mag. I just haven't found one that I wanted to pounce on, rarely see one.

The 10mm is nowhere near a full power 41 mag. The ONLY reason people think the 10mm is close is because of Winchesters 175grnST 41 (lite).

A 41 mag can push a 230grn Keith at 1450fps thats 1075 ft lbs, pretty darn potent, and waaaay more than a 10mm can do.

I don't think the 41 is gonna die, it just kinda maintains.

underwood can push a 135 grain 10mm out of a 6.61" barrel at @1750 fps making 950 ft/lbs of energy. Howver the difference is noticable at 10+ yards.

.41 isn't going to die, som eof use young punkcs are picking it up. ( I have a 6" m57,) but it like 10mm will have a cult following.

Keep in mind Profire made my first batch of ammo and I was pleased, I will be looking for a differnt bullet than hornaday XTP's next batch. I have been less than impressed with the preformance of those, the gold dots, and teh win silver tips to expand. GREAT at punching a whole in something, but puts everything behind the target in the line of fire.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The main advantage with teh .41 is you make more power ( than 95% of the .44 mag loads), have a flatter trajectory, and less recoil than .44 mag. Sectional density is improved with the .41 making it potentially more stabile, and more effective when it hits the target( less likely to deflect). Most of the .44 mag comercial loadings won't out preform .41, and they have more reocil and a thinner barrel ( thicker, stiffer barrel of a .41 can contribute to improved accuracy)than the .41. THe rounds that will out preform a .41 won't fire in a smith safely, So you either track down a dan wesson, or a colt, ( heaven forbid you buy a ruger). Go compare velocities and bullet weights at ballistics by the inch.

Top Bottom