• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Love my grandpa's WW2 1911. He carried it from The Jump to the Bulge and then on to Korea. Great history there. My buddy has a Kimber that is a beaut to shoot. Been doing a lot of research and thought I'd try to mine the knowledge here while I'm at it.

Unfortunately, I need to do this on a lower budget than I'd like. I need to keep it under $1k. Maybe more like 6-800 to keep the missus from coming after me with her shotgun. I'm thinking a commander model, for ease of carrying (or do people find carrying a 5" not that big a deal? I'm 5'10" 180 so I was thinking it might be a bit big)

What say you fellas? What's a good entry, carry-able 1911 on a budget?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Love my grandpa's WW2 1911. He carried it from The Jump to the Bulge and then on to Korea. Great history there. My buddy has a Kimber that is a beaut to shoot. Been doing a lot of research and thought I'd try to mine the knowledge here while I'm at it.

Unfortunately, I need to do this on a lower budget than I'd like. I need to keep it under $1k. Maybe more like 6-800 to keep the missus from coming after me with her shotgun. I'm thinking a commander model, for ease of carrying (or do people find carrying a 5" not that big a deal? I'm 5'10" 180 so I was thinking it might be a bit big)

I'm 5'6" and carry a full size 1911 IWB easily.

iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    im 5'10'' at 150 and concealing it isn't hard. but for me it is highly uncomfortable. I now just keep the 1911 in my truck as a backup and im waiting for my compact to come in so i can carry that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

You can order a Detonics ServiceMaster (commander size) for $850.00 direct from Detonics. LINK => Detonics - News

Its a stainless gun, 4.5" barrel, full size grip, with black Ceracoat. These have a target grade bull barrel (no annoying front bushing) so assembly/disassembly requires no tools :yesway:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I love my Para GI Expert in stainless. I am 5-10 about 140 and have no problems concealing it. A full size is heavy and uncomfortable for me for extended periods of time. I also have a compact that is lighter and a little handier to conceal. I was always a revolver guy untill I wraped my hands around a 1911. I wouldnt trade it for anything. I am also reloading .45 and shooting some local matches. Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to the club.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Carrying the 5" is no trouble with a good holster and most importantly, the right belt. At under $1000 the Springers, the S&W "E"series, you might be able to squeak into a SIG, a used DW CBOB maybe; I'd love to try the Detonics if my 1911 collection wasn't kinda full. You've definitely got some choices in that range.

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    You can order a Detonics ServiceMaster (commander size) for $850.00 direct from Detonics. LINK => Detonics - News

Its a stainless gun, 4.5" barrel, full size grip, with black Ceracoat. These have a target grade bull barrel (no annoying front bushing) so assembly/disassembly requires no tools :yesway:

That Detonics looks like a steal. The hammer on that seems a bit different from what I've handled. Is it any different to get a hold of?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

Detonics only offer a Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser:noway:

Springfield offers a Lifetime warranty no matter if you are the original owner or 30th:yesway:

Go with Springfield and get a Loaded:
    pix119293467.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    That Detonics looks like a steal. The hammer on that seems a bit different from what I've handled. Is it any different to get a hold of?
    The hammer is CNC milled from solid bar stock and is actually very ergonomic. The serration in the center is lower than the next two, which are lower than the ones on the end. Its not apparent in a photo but when you put your thumb on it, your thumb can feel the difference.

All parts on the Detonics are solid steel, depending on model, most are CNC machined, absolutely no plastic and no MIM parts in a Detonics too. Also they are 100% made in the USA from US parts. Most guns, like Springfield, Kimber, etc use MIM parts, source frames from the Philipenes, Brazil, etc.

Detonics has been a semi-custom gun maker since the mid-1970's, mostly selling to professionals, typically ordered directly from the factory and shipped to your local dealer.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I wanted a .45 carry gun as I had never owned one before. Really wanted a 1911 but kept hearing that they were hard to carry etc and more of a range gun than EDC. Went with a M&P45c instead. A while later I ended up picking up a Remington R1 1911 in a trade. I like carrying it better than the M&P and it is MUCH easier to conceal without printing. I don't even have a good holster for it yet as it is still on order and I am just using a cheapy while waiting. Now, I carry the M&P in the woods or wherever I am going to carry without worrying about trying to conceal. Other than that the 1911 is on me. I really like the R1 and have had zero issues with it. I have the Talo version with the rosewood grips and 8rnd mag. You can pick one up for about $700 or a little less depending on where you go. Unless you shop at Gander then they are $750 lol. You can get the regular model for a little less than that even.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I wanted a .45 carry gun as I had never owned one before. Really wanted a 1911 but kept hearing that they were hard to carry etc and more of a range gun than EDC. Went with a M&P45c instead. A while later I ended up picking up a Remington R1 1911 in a trade. I like carrying it better than the M&P and it is MUCH easier to conceal without printing. I don't even have a good holster for it yet as it is still on order and I am just using a cheapy while waiting. Now, I carry the M&P in the woods or wherever I am going to carry without worrying about trying to conceal. Other than that the 1911 is on me. I really like the R1 and have had zero issues with it. I have the Talo version with the rosewood grips and 8rnd mag. You can pick one up for about $700 or a little less depending on where you go. Unless you shop at Gander then they are $750 lol. You can get the regular model for a little less than that even.

That was my second choice. I see they are coming in stainless now. The Ruger is nice also.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    A nice used Kimber Pro carry or Compact might fit into your budget, that would be my suggestion.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry (3" barrel) that I carry, It is surprisingly accurate for a short barrel and for a compact with an alloy frame the recoil is not bad. Those run right around $800. Or You could get a Pro Carry for about the same. http://www.nelsontactical.com/store/en/kimber-pistols/262-kimber-pro-carry-ii-45-acp.html
    Some of the other suggestions here would be good choices too, lot of options in that price range. Of all the different sizes/styles of 1911s my favorite to shoot is a bobtailed commander, and they carry pretty well too. CCOs are nice, if you can find one.

One of each....it's gonna happen anyway.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I carry a full size Citadel 1911 45acp using a ITWB holster. I am 6ft 250lb's and carry it cross draw. I have carried it for 2 years and will carry nothing less. It's around a $600. I have around 7-8k rounds shot threw it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Shot a SIG 1911....Now I'm a believer. Can buy new one on Gbroker easily for under $900 all in price. I would say shoots like a machine twice it's cost.

Even though I'm a big Springfield fan I have to second that on Sig. Heck of a gun for the money.

I have never put the money out for what is often considered higher end 1911's Colt, Kimber etc. I have however shot them and choose to go with Sig, Springfield and yes even, RIA. In my opinion these give you the best value for the money. Paying for a name is not what a I do. Others have high opinions of guns and pay the higher prices, so be it. The old adage you get what you pay for, lost its meaning a long time ago. It went the way of outsourcing and corporations making maximum profits.

You want a great shooter that is reliable with good customer service in your price range new, stick with Sig and Springfield. Just my opinion, you got it for free, take it for what it's worth.

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Appreciate the advice y'all. This weekend/next week I'm going to run around the gunshops I've been finding around Indy (new to the area) and hopefully land something then! Let you know what I get :)

Top Bottom