• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Put one together yourself with cheap parts, it will be just as good as the Colt,BCM,DD,LMT

Better yet, go root through the dumpster at the state fair grounds after the next 1500 and throw together an AR with the leftover parts in there. It will be just as reliable.

:rolleyes:

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I don't know now... I've been reading about those mid-length gas systems and it seems very appealing... and honestly whether I go with a colt or a Daniel Defense, I don't think I can go wrong with either. I'm really debating on either a Colt or Daniel Defense now.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you ever plan to take a class, go with the Colt. BCM is also a good option, but with what Colts are selling for these days they are pretty close on cost.

No you can't build an AR as reliable as a Colt for less money. You can build less for less though, pretty easy.

As far as the Sig goes, if it priced really right it would be ok for recreational use. They are nothing special though, and if it is within a couple hundred dollars of the Colt/BCM option above it would be a stretch to say it is worth it.

I think if you know what you are doing you can build something as good or better than a Colt for less money. It would also be easy to spend almost as much money and come out with something worse. If you are asking on a forum which is better you should probably start with the Colt or DD until you learn more about what makes a rifle reliable.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Put one together yourself with cheap parts, it will be just as good as the Colt,BCM,DD,LMT

Better yet, go root through the dumpster at the state fair grounds after the next 1500 and throw together an AR with the leftover parts in there. It will be just as reliable.

:rolleyes:

The thing is, BCM merely assembles rifles, they don't make any parts. Granted, their QC/QA is top notch, and rarely if ever a bad rifle leaves their facility.

If you did your homework you could make one just as good as a BCM at least. and I believe LMT sells their parts, same with colt.:yesway:

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I was able to save a lot of money by buying used. For me it wasn't the brand as much as the condition. I found a slightly used Rock River, 1 in 9 twist, with quad rails in mint condition. The $300 I saved purchased a Burris AR 332. I added a cheap Nebo light, a Grip-Pod and a magpul multi purpose sling which are all the toys I need. It works well for me at a cost just over $1200. There are a lot of slightly used ARs on the market and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I was able to save a lot of money by buying used. For me it wasn't the brand as much as the condition. I found a slightly used Rock River, 1 in 9 twist, with quad rails in mint condition. The $300 I saved purchased a Burris AR 332. I added a cheap Nebo light, a Grip-Pod and a magpul multi purpose sling which are all the toys I need. It works well for me at a cost just over $1200. There are a lot of slightly used ARs on the market and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

So you paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $700-800 for a used RRA? They saw ya coming.

Dozer5478

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I too am looking to build my first AR with the help of INGO and my friends, I waslooking at PSA web site and i seen alot of items that are temporaily out of stock. Does PSA turn quickly, will the parts i want become available soon?

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I don't know how to build an AR. I really don't know what to get now though. and does it make a difference if a receiver is "monolithic" or not? I would really like it if the Daniel Defense V3's front sight was more like the V5's sight...

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There are a lot of good free float handguards that will do the same thing as a monolithic receiver.
    My advice it to not rush your decision while you keep studying all of your options.
    And don't settle for something that you really don't want i.e. Sig M400. Have a plan and stick to it.

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    yeah i'm thinking unless i can i find a colt LE6940 for no more than 1300 i'll get it... but right now all i can find is 1600-2000 on gunbroker.com... i'm thinking i'll probably end up getting a daniel defense. From what i've been reading they seem to be top notch quality as well as colt, noveske, bcm, and lmt's. I can find them for about 1100-1300 which is decent. I just don't know if i want a V3 or a V5 though. The V3 has a fixed front sight like the 6920 which i don't like, and the V5 has too long of a rail for me... i don't need 12" of rail. It would be perfect if the V3 had no sights like the V5 and i could just buy a nice set of Flip sights

Top Bottom