• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    First off, let me say that I'm a big wheelgun fan, I own several S&W wheelguns and shoot them in USPSA, IDPA, and soon ICORE. However I don't have any single actions and have virtually no experience with them.

I want something in .45 Colt cause that just seems right, but other than that I just don't know where to begin. I may eventually try cowboy shooting, but not for a good while. I like the versatility of a Blackhawk, but I think the cowboy guns look cooler.

Anybody got any advice on where to start?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Ruger makes very solid, reliable guns. I've got a few Blackhawks and have owned quite a few over the years. I've done teh cowboy shooting thing so I've had quite a few different single actions go through my hands. The Italian imported SAA copies are pretty similar but some like Cimmaron are usually a bit nicer as far as looks. Dimensionsand parts quality are all on even ground. The Vaquero and New Vaquero are both good solid guns and will last long enough for your grandkids to pass down to their grandkids. If you really want a good, original style SA, teh USFA guns are hard to beat. Many say they are equal to or better than current Colts. I've got two of them and they are very fine revolvers. One of them is a Rodeo, whic has a basic finish on it, but the mechanics are the same as the higer priced, nicer finished guns.
    I've also had several of the italian Remington copies of 1875's and 1890's, both very cool guns. Little different gripframe than the SAA, very solid feeling funs. Another cool style if you are really going old West is one of the open top styles. They preceeded teh SAA's. Some were cartirdge cconversions of cap and ball revolvers and then there was the 1872 Open Top, it was an all new revolver, but looked similar to the conversions. These are all available in reproduction from teh various importers like Navy Arms, Uberti USA and Cimarron. Then, there is the S&W top break styleof single actions. I personally have never owned any of them/ they feel totally different thanthe other SA guns. Very cool as they were pretty high tech when intrduced. Have strenghts and weaknesses compared ot the more common sold framed guns.

As to calibers, I agree that .45 is a calssic SA gun caliber. If you hadnload it's a great one to have. If not, you are relegated to a small selection of factory ammo that is basically limited to fun at teh range. A couple of loads that are different are teh CCI-Blazer 200gr JHP round that is equal to a .45 acp for defensive purposes and the various Buffalo Bore loads that are only safe in Ruger Blackhawks, old Vaqueros and Freedom Arms. They are hot loads and are capable of killing any North American game. other calibers include .44 special and .44-40 in the replicas, both also handicapped by limited ammo choises and mostly expensive, like the .45 Colt. Blackhawks and Vaqueros are available in .44 mag. I'm a .45 guy, in both authentic and heavy load ranges, but if you dont' handload, the .44 mag is probably the best hunter's choice for ammo availability. You can get most all fo thm in .357 as well. I'm sure you understand how versatiel the .357/.38 chambering is whether you handload or not. And .357 is definately a deer caliber if that is a concern. gthen,there are the other, older calibers like .38/40 and .32/20. I'm a big .32/20 fan, but that's for a whole other reason. Either of these are fun calibers but again, ammo is very limited and not cheap!

Have fun with your decision and let us know how you go at it!

Doug K

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    First off, let me say that I'm a big wheelgun fan, I own several S&W wheelguns and shoot them in USPSA, IDPA, and soon ICORE. However I don't have any single actions and have virtually no experience with them.

I want something in .45 Colt cause that just seems right, but other than that I just don't know where to begin. I may eventually try cowboy shooting, but not for a good while. I like the versatility of a Blackhawk, but I think the cowboy guns look cooler.

Anybody got any advice on where to start?
    RUGER, RUGER, RUGER,.....NO I AN NOT PLAYING FAV.....

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Yeah, I reload all my ammo, so ammo cost and availability isn't really a concern.

I'm pretty much down to a New Vaquero, a USFA Rodeo, or a Cimarron Model P.

Now I've gotta figure out what barrel length I want.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If you were closer to indy, I'd let you handle my Rodeo and you'd be sold on it! It's more expensive than the Cimmaron, but it's made of better steel, the dimesions are much more precise and the springs are very high quality. Often folks will 'smooth up' an Italian gun by puttin softer springs in them. It does make it seem easier to cock, but there's something about the very solid feel of the Rodeo. It really is slick! I prefer the shorter 4 3/4", but also like the 7 1/2" as well. Many folks like the 5 1/2" as a compromise, but I dislike it for that reason! I'd rather go short or long! Handle as many of them as you can to get a feel for what you prefer. I think there is a CAS group down near Evansville, It may be a couple of months before they get back out to play, but if you hit a match, I'm sure you'll be able to handle a good variety of handguns.

Doug K

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Come up to Terre Haute and your welcome to try these.
    Vaqueros in .45 Colt.

picture.php

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I heart the Vaqueros and for the money, there's no better CAS gun. That said, if you want the real-deal SAA and can afford it, either USFA or Colt would be the way to go. With the Colt, you get a high quality SAA with the Colt logo, with the USFA, you get an even higher quality gun, just no prancing pony.

All these modern SAAs are good to go with modern loads, though only the old Rugers will be suitable for the uber hunting loads that can be had.

Uberti, Navy Arms, Beretta, EMF and others make SAAs in .45 and will do nicely, they just aren't as high a quality (fit, finish) as Colt or USFA.

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    At Riley.
    I started shooting USPSA again last season.

Well then we've probably already met and just don't know it. I shot there all last season, and i'll be back this year. Since they're doing prizes this year, I promised the other 2 wheelgunners i'd shoot my 625 so we'd meet the minimum participation requirement. I'll see you in a couple months!

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I like the blackhawk and you could also get the conversion and shoot 45acp if you wanted

Agreed, the practicality can't be beat. I have a .45 Blackhawk convertible and due to the ridiculous cost of .45LC, I only use the ACP cylinder. You can also go 9mm/.357mag for the same price.

dschantz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    I also have a pair of Vaqueros in .45LC. They are a lot of fun. If $$ is not a problem, then I would buy a pair of nickel plated Colt Single Action Army pistols!!

Top Bottom