• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Right now I have a Taurus .357. I have been thinking about trading it in for a pistol. I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. Now I have just been looking online. I havent actually held either one yet. I will def do that first but I was just wanting some opinions. I have been looking at them on Buds gun shop just to get an idea.

Glock 19 9mm 1
    5 RndFixed sights OD Green
    Glock 19 9mm 15 Rnd Fixed Sights OD Green for Sale at Buds Gun Shop

S&W SW9VE 9mm Stainless
    S&W SW9VE 9mm Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $299.00

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    between those two...glock 19 all the way. :yesway: but then again that is just my personal opinion and i love glocks. not everybody does though so you have the right idea about wanting to handle them first. if you get a chance to fire one that would be even better. main thing is get what is best for you. there is nothing wrong about asking for advice, but in the end your preferrence is what matters most since you will be the one carrying it. good luck

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    lol so I take it not a big glock fan? I am open to other suggestions to Joe. I am a noob when it comes to guns so fire away.I am here to learn and listen.

Actually, the Glock 19 is a fine firearm, but it's not my personal favorite because of the way it feels in my hand.

A couple other very popular choices are the Springfield Armory XD9, and the Smith and Wesson M&P 9. All three are equally reliable, durable, rugged, and accurate, but feel completely different in the hand, and have different features. All are worth checking out. I've owned all three over time, my personal favorite being the XD for purely subjective reasons.

There are lots of other options, also, but those are pretty much the current "big three," I think. Ruger's SR9 is lower priced than all three, and I do like the way it feels, but haven't actually owned or even fired one. It's owners seem quite fond of it, though.

The Sigma does have a fair share of fans among it's owners, but also quite a few detractors. It's reputation is spotty, even among it's owners, and the trigger is far from the best around.

If you don't just have to have a tupperware gun, the Beretta 92 is a fine firearm, though a bit larger than the others, as are 1911s. And there are a whole slew of good 1911s covering the budget range from $400 right on past $2000.

If you've not handled them, you owe it to yourself to do so, and to actually shoot as many as possible. You can rent most of them at various indoor ranges, and if you ask you'll probably find someone near you on the board that will let you go shooting with them and try their pride and joy out.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Find another member or just someone in your area that has alot og guns ...ask them to let you shoot them ..go from there ..

I know alot of people that have purchased guns that felt good in hand at the shop ......when they get to the range they don't like it .....

things you need to ask yourself ...

What am i going to use the new pistol for ...CC, home defense , target shooting ?

what caliber do i need ....most of the experts will tell you No less than .40 . .45 is best ...

But a .22 you will carry with you and actually shoot is much better than
    a .45 that is to heavy to carry ...or you can't handle the recoil of ...:twocents:

GOOD luck :ingo:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    what caliber do i need ....most of the experts will tell you No less than .40 . .45 is best ...

That's a crock. 9mm is as fine a fighting round as either of them, and there are "experts" that choose it because of it's controllability and light recoil.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Right now I have a Taurus .357. I have been thinking about trading it in for a pistol. I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. Now I have just been looking online. I havent actually held either one yet. I will def do that first but I was just wanting some opinions. I have been looking at them on Buds gun shop just to get an idea.

Glock 19 9mm 1
    5 RndFixed sights OD Green
    Glock 19 9mm 15 Rnd Fixed Sights OD Green for Sale at Buds Gun Shop

S&W SW9VE 9mm Stainless
    S&W SW9VE 9mm Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $299.00

I think you should keep the 357 and still buy a new Glock 19. You can never have too many guns. :D

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you have to pick between those 2...I'd pick the Glock 19 in a heartbeat...reliable, accurate, reliable, interchangable with other Glock parts, reliable, trigger is much better, reliable, etc...

Another option, get a Glock 26 (easier to carry) and put a Glock 19 mag with an A&G grip spacer on it...same carry capacity with a better feel and a smight better ability to conceal.

Also, if at all possible to keep the .357...you won't find a better 'back up' pistol. :twocents:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    If you have to pick between those 2...I'd pick the Glock 19 in a heartbeat...reliable, accurate, reliable, interchangable with other Glock parts, reliable, trigger is much better, reliable, etc...

Another option, get a Glock 26 (easier to carry) and put a Glock 19 mag with an A&G grip spacer on it...same carry capacity with a better feel and a smight better ability to conceal.

Also, if at all possible to keep the .357...you won't find a better 'back up' pistol. :twocents:

I agree with part of what you said however the G 26 in the configuration that you refer to really would not be any easier to conceal. The grip ( which is the difficult part to conceal in normal carry positions) will still be the same size as the G 19 but you will sacrifice the added accuracy of the increased barrel length. You would save aprox. 1 oz of total weight.

Now as far as the Sigma, I would not recommend them. A sigma was my first pistol and it was very frustrating to me. Search Sigma here and hear the stories others have about the trigger in particular. Mine was also a jam-o-matic.

Good luck in your search.

Top Bottom