• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rfrantz3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Westfield
    I'm not looking for flashy go drop 3 months of salary on! I did that for my wifes engagement ring!! Never again lol!
    But on a serious note I love the Ruger 45 compact but was told to lean away from Ruger because of recalls! I'm not one to judge on mistakes, because every business has them. Anybody that can shed a light on Ruger or any 45 compact worth looking into! Budget is under 600!!!!
    Thanks
    Ryan

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First handgun needs to be a 22. Ruger is a good start. You need to shoot and shoot some more and until lately the 22 LR is the only way to do that on the cheap.

The mark III 22-45 if you want to have the same grip as a regular 45 in the future.

Here is my first pistol. About 1985. So going on 30 years.

DSC03077.jpg

Rfrantz3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Westfield
    First handgun needs to be a 22. Ruger is a good start. You need to shoot and shoot some more and until lately the 22 LR is the only way to do that on the cheap.

The mark III 22-45 if you want to have the same grip as a regular 45 in the future.

Here is my first pistol. About 1985. So going on 30 years.

DSC03077.jpg

This may be a stupid question, but I also would like this for protection, would a 22LR fit the definition of self defense!

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would go shoot some. Either rented at range or if friends have any. I would want to be sure I felt good shooting it. I carry Ruger LCP 380 or SR 1911 45. Or sometimes both

Kentuckypilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    My first handgun was a s&w revolver model 10-5 4 inch barrel. I still have this gun, I use it for target practice and bedside HD.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    Go to your LGS and get a feel for what you like (comfort wise) and also figure out the use intended. You can't go wrong with a 9mm. If you want something that's not going to set you back too muck look at the Bersa Thunder 9mm. It'll be a couple hundred under the Glocks, Sigs, XD. It has a safety/decocker and is reliable.
    Your best bet is to get some in your hands and find what you like.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Depending on your caliber, two of my favorite tried and true semi-autos are the Colt 1911 or the Walther PPK or PPK/S. The Colt (John M. Browning) patent expired a century ago, and lots of folks make them well on the same design. On your budget, look at Springfield and Rock Island. Also, I've heard nice things about the Remington 1911 recently. The Walther is primarily in .380, easily concealable, no plastic (ie. a bit heavier), plus it was good enough for James Bond.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You will get a lot of opinion on what each of us like. This can be somewhat helpful in finding a pistol for you but not much.

My two cents would be to look at what is out there, handle them all, shoot them if possible and make a decision based on what you want, not on how may people posted telling you to buy a certain brand pistol.

I don't know anything about you and I have to assume you want a .45 for a particular reason. Make sure you really do know. Not a big deal, you can always trade around or sell if it doesn't work out, but I think it's better in the long run to really know what you want. This will narrow your choices.

Good luck!

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    You should look into the ruger SR line. I just purchased the sr9 as my first handgun and I absolutely love it. Best advice I can give is the advice I got and used. Get your hands on as many guns as possible and shoot them if possible. The sr9 wasn't even on my list when I started shopping but as soon as it hit my hand I knew it was the one for me. Lots of great people here and lots of good advice but you will learn that many people are very passionate about "their" brand.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You said first pistol so a first pistol to me means a 22 lr. No it is not a personal protecion piece of first choice but the goal of a first pistol to me would be range time, trigger control, and mussle memory. The only way to get that is to shoot it and shoot it alot.

100 rounds or 22 lr was 7.99 for cci mini mags before the Newtown stuff.
    100 rounds of 45 acp. 45 dollars before newtown stuff.

You save 37 dollars per hundred rounds, Within the first 200o rounds you will save enough on ammo alone to buy the 600 dollar 45 ACP and you will shoot it much better after 2000 rounds of 22 in an auto pistol on the range.

7.99 times 20 = 159.XX plus tax
    45 times 20 = 900 dollars plus tax.

You save 741 dollars.

Get the 22 and 2000 rounds of ammo when that is gone buy the 45 and have at it. You have 2 pistols and will be better with both than a 45 alone.

Then again most people who ask what is the Best already have in there mind what the best is just looking for others to tell them what they want to hear.

Buy what you want it is your cash flow.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    You will get a lot of opinion on what each of us like. This can be somewhat helpful in finding a pistol for you but not much.

My two cents would be to look at what is out there, handle them all, shoot them if possible and make a decision based on what you want, not on how may people posted telling you to buy a certain brand pistol.

I don't know anything about you and I have to assume you want a .45 for a particular reason. Make sure you really do know. Not a big deal, you can always trade around or sell if it doesn't work out, but I think it's better in the long run to really know what you want. This will narrow your choices.

Good luck!

This^^^^! Don't buy a pistol without knowing what it feels like in your hand. First hand experience shooting it is even better.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    I agree completely with the postings of my fellow site members. Shoot a few different handguns and choose one that feels right. But don't buy crap. Look at the craftsmanship. Buy a well made firearm. Your life may depend on it.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm a fellow newbie, since I've never owned a gun and haven't even shot one since I qualified expert on the M9 9mm in the military almost 7 years ago.

I disagree that your first gun has to be a .22. A .22 is nice to have and lots of fun, but if your gun budget only stretches far enough to get a home or personal defense weapon, don't waste $$ on the .22. Practicing with a .22 with very little recoil doesn't really help you much to prepare for shooting a larger caliber.

Ryan, since you are looking to save money and apparently want a .45, I make these comments:

-- consider buying used to stretch the money a lot further.

-- Consider a polymer pistol because a .45 isn't a recoil monster that needs a super heavy gun to tame the recoil. Polymer guns are also a lot cheaper than all-metal ones. (possible exception: HK). A Glock or M&P or Ruger is going to be a bunch cheaper than a nice 1911, and lighter too.

I would recommend you go to a shop that has Glock, M&P and Ruger and just hold all the models in the caliber you are interested in. Feel the weight and balance. Keep in mind that you want a pistol to be a little nose-heavy when empty because the CG is going to shift a bunch to the rear when you stuff a magazine in there, especially a mess of .45 rounds. Note the reach to the trigger-- it is a good distance? Too long? Too short? How maneuverable does the gun feel? How naturally does it point? Does it feel like an extension of your hand, or like a clunky dumbbell in your hand?

For me, the "right" answer was a Glock G22 in .40SW. I don't think a .40 gives up much in stopping power compared to a .45, but generally has a good bit more capcity.

YMMV

Top Bottom