• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    To be completely honest I wouldn't have the slightest idea of where to begin.... I do know that I would rather have a knowledgeable builder explain to me on what to get, and how to build it instead of just buying a built one from a shop... I think I would appreciate it more then just buying a new one....... So any input would be greatly appreciated....... Ideally I would like to build a .223 AR-15 but I don't even have an idea of what the costs would be either.... I have a friend who gets all of his parts and such from gunbroker.com but I'm not sure how I feel about purchasing from online sellers as I have no experience buying online..... so please any input would be appreciated....... THANKS :ar15:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    What do you want to use it for? This same style of thread has come up here multiple times. Might look back a few pages and see what you can find. I'm not a fan of gunbroker but others may like it. Once you know what you want to do with the gun, research what parts you would like on it, take your time and get the parts you really want/need. There are plenty of videos on how to build one and plenty of knowledge on here that can help if you get stuck along the way. Good Luck!

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I like the idea of building my own just for the satisfaction of doing it myself. It doesn't hurt that it costs less and I get exactly what I want the first time and don't have to swap out a bunch of parts after I just bought a complete rifle. The link posted above is really good for info and when you get to building your rifle go to youtube and watch how to videos. :D I was concerned before doing a build my first time thinking how hard it had to be but it really isn't difficult at all. when it comes to price it all depends what you want. It can be as cheap as you make it or you can just through your life savings into it, just depends on the options you choose for it.. :spend: Good luck

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah most of my buddies at work built their own as a result of my council. I bought a bushmaster xm15es about 9 years ago... and replaced almost every single piece on it. Would have been more worthwhile to just buy the parts I wanted and built to my exact spec. Remember there re more accessories for an AR now days than you can shake a stick at!

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I'm not looking for a ton of bells and whistles on it.... I'm looking for an accurate basic AR.... I would like to get a nice red dot or acog scope but haven't really decided on anything..... I'm just checking out to see what cost ranges are for basic setup from start to firing.......

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I'm not looking for a ton of bells and whistles on it.... I'm looking for an accurate basic AR.... I would like to get a nice red dot or acog scope but haven't really decided on anything..... I'm just checking out to see what cost ranges are for basic setup from start to firing.......

If you are looking for a cheap fun shooter without too much building.
    You could do like I did, I bought a complete upper from here,
    They are out of the one I bought but this one is good too.
    Custom 16" M4 1x7 Moly 5.56 Complete Flat Top Upper
    Mount it on a complete lower I chose the Plum Crazy composite lower
    from here
    London Bridge Firearms - Item Details
    But if you want a low cost regular 7075 T6 aluminum lower you could go with this one
    *Surplus Ammo & Arms AR15 Complete Lower with Collapsing Stock - Surplus Ammo
    Your lower will need to go to your local FFL for tranfer but the upper can be shipped to your house. All you need to do is put the upper on the lower and push the two pins through, mount your scope or just a rear sight then you are ready to go to the range.
    Here is a picture of my composite fun gun that cost a little over $500.
    91ds06.jpg

I have over 400 rds through it to date and still going strong.;)
    If you need a explanation of AR lower building here is a link to show you how.
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/Content/Video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    IN MY OPINION, your first AR should be a factory, all put together, put your money down, and walk away, and shoot the crap out of, AR.

This gives you some kind of basis for what you might want to do with the next one.

It eliminates a lot of angst for the new AR owner.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    So I've been checking around on these AR kits and the ones I've seen are missing the lower.......... Is that normal?? I do know that the lower is the actual "firearm" section of the weapon...... Is that why it isn't included in the parts kits?? Palmetto State Armory's site is what I was looking at.....

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So I've been checking around on these AR kits and the ones I've seen are missing the lower.......... Is that normal?? I do know that the lower is the actual "firearm" section of the weapon...... Is that why it isn't included in the parts kits?? Palmetto State Armory's site is what I was looking at.....

A couple days ago I saw a Palmetto lower build returned because of function, and the trigger pin dropped straight through the receiver, no resistance at all, and a bit of wiggle/slop even... Either it was a lemon, or their holes appear a bit on the large side...

I was looking at Palmetto lowers, but not anymore, just my :twocents: from what I saw...

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    A couple days ago I saw a Palmetto lower build returned because of function, and the trigger pin dropped straight through the receiver, no resistance at all, and a bit of wiggle/slop even... Either it was a lemon, or their holes appear a bit on the large side...

I was looking at Palmetto lowers, but not anymore, just my :twocents: from what I saw...

Could have been a defective lower, a defective pin, or the end user put it together wrong, or made modifications to the pin or lower.

Way to many variables to rule out an entire brand.

My Palmetto went together like butter, and everything is nice and tight.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I've been checking around on these AR kits and the ones I've seen are missing the lower.......... Is that normal??

Yes that is "normal" for build kits.

Everything but the lower receiver is just "parts", so they can ship the entire kit right to your doorstep. All you then need is to buy the lower like you would a firearm, and put it all together.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    You can find a lot of AR parts for sale from individuals on here. I have bought quite a few AR parts from members.

PSA is also a good place to look. I have a stock kit on order from them right now.

benjy58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    AR 15 kits

If you want to go the cheap route check out SARCO I've built some from them. But the first thing you should do is to go on line to You Tube for a video on building an AR15.

Hk91_son

Plinker
    Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Richmond
    Factory

I agree that your first should be a factory built to try it out first you may find you don't even like the platform, but if you do.....you can always perform easy cost effective upgrades to better fit your personal needs also at that point you can sell or trade off the factory parts. On gunbroker issue I have had no problems with any dealings on the site everyone that I have dealt with on there turned out to honest and decent people.

Top Bottom