• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    A guy at work got these from his Grandfather. He wants to hang on to them, but is curious about the value and any history on these old beauties.
    ANY input would be greatly appreciated!!!
    THANKS ! ! ! ! !

We have an O.F. Mossberg & Son Inc., 185K-A and an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight........
    P1120636.jpg

P1120637.jpg

P1120638.jpg

P1120639.jpg

P1120640.jpg

P1120641.jpg

P1120642.jpg

P1120643.jpg

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    They both look to be in great condition. The bolt action is a reliable shotgun and will kill anything that any other shotgun will. They are a little slower to operate than pumps, but I personally have got off 2 shots at a running rabbit when I was a teenager, with the old 16 ga. I used at the time. Takes practice. The adjustable choke on yours was common then and if used correctly, allowed one gun to be adapted to specific hunting situations, such as rabbits today, and ducks tomorrow morning. Today, we have choke tubes, which have to be changed with a special wrench, which you may have forgotten to bring along.
    As for value, that particular one is in way above average condition and should bring about $125 to $150. They are a little hard to sell, though.
    The Ithaca 37 is an old, proven design. It was accepted by the military for trench gun use. They were the most popular model of shotgun in Vietnam because of the bottom eject feature and the trigger mechanism that allowed it to fire every time the slide was rammed forward with the trigger held back at the same time. It was called slam fire. {I just bought a police special from a member last weekend at the 1500 show.} The featherweight had a lightweight receiver and was lighter to carry in the field all day. They were always a favorite with left handed people, also, because of the bottom ejection. Yours was a later model with the impressed checkering. Probably from 60's to early 80's. Yours should bring $300 to $375 because of the rib and it being a 20 ga.
    I hope your friend decides to keep these in his family. They should be passed down again, later....

thecollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    NWI
    Those old bolts just keep working and working, but as posted, not a lot of money, you would be very lucky to see $150 for it, even at setting up a table and waiting and waiting. The 37 is nice and a looked for gun, so those prices are very close. I would hate to see them hanging on a wall though, for the reason that once they are there they are negected and will end up not being so nice after a bit.

Top Bottom