• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    i'm really not sure where to begin with optics on an ar 15. i have had it for about a month, and still haven't managed to pick something i like. i guess it's because i don't want to spend a bunch of money and found out i bought the wrong optics for it.
    i was considering this one
    Cabela's -- ATN Aries MK-350 Guardian Nightvision Riflescope

maybe not from cabela's and i'm not sure how i feel about the night vision i have never had any expierance with it.

Cabela's -- Leupold® Mark AR™ Series Riflescopes

i was also considering this in the 3-9 but i'm not sure that i would want that much magnification.

so basically any direction anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    i purchased the rifle mainly to plink, cmmg is supposed to be coming out with a 22lr conversion for left hand ar15s so i'm waiting on that. the longest distance i can shoot is 100 yards at marion county fish and game. i don't have a lot of money to spend, 400 dollars would really be pushing the top of my price range right now. i purchased the version that didn't have any type of iron sights, so i suppose if 400 dollars wouldn't put me into anything decent, i could get iron sights, and shoot with those until i save up more money. any suggestions?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I put a Millet DMS on my AR with a GG&G Accucam quick release. The DMS is 1-4X24mm with a 30mm tube. Works great and is dead on @ 100yds. The scope will set you back around $225 and the mount was $199. The setup gives me a quick target acquisition and enough magnification if I need it for longer shots.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Since you are only shooting out to 100 yards or so, is there a reason you are looking at variable power rifle scopes instead of something like a fixed 3x or 4x or even just a 1x Red Dot?

Also, will this gun be used for home defense or SHTF?

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    Spend the money and get a set of decent iron sights, if you want an optic too then you might have to compromise. Iron sights never(almost) let you down, great to 100 meters.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I put a Millet DMS on my AR with a GG&G Accucam quick release.

Burris makes a one-piece mount called the P.E.P.R. for the DMS-1 for about $70, and it is more than acceptable for use on a plinker. That would put your total cost under $300. I found that combo from a fellow INGOer for just $250 about a year ago.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For a plinker, and not something you'd use for defense, I'd take a look at a Primary Arms red dot (1x), or, as mentioned above, the Millett DMS-1 1-4x for some magnification.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    This seems simple to me. If you have $400 to spend get the low end EOtech (their top seller by the way). If you don't want to get a red dot and looking moe for a scope then get yourself a 3-9 or 4-12 Redfield scope. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think Redfield is a division of Leupold. I hear they are very popular and for the price $150-$200, you can't go wrong!

Also, just for fun, I just read about this new Nikon scope. It's built specifically for the AR.

Cabela's -- Nikon M-223 Riflescope

Top Bottom