Not open for further replies.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Not sure which thread to put this in.

I bought a Mosin back on Black Friday and I want to shoot it but I am afraid that it has cosmoline in the barrel, receiver and other parts that I am not aware of. I do not have the knowledge or skill to do a full tear down, clean it, and put back together and feel confident in shooting the rifle. Is there anyone or anyplace that would do this for a reasonable price? If it can be done for a reasonable price, I am also in the market for an SKS and would need it done also. Thank you in advance.

I am located in Indianapolis so I would need someone relatively close.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    Mineral spirits will cut the cosmoline. It will take a lot of paper towels too. The mosins are easy to tear down. You can look for a video on youtube also. The take a .30 caliber bore brush. I would suggest that you do this yourself so you learn more about your rifle. Just make sure you do it in the garage as the wife might get a bit hostile when you get cosmoline on the couch.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Your rifle is a very simple rifle. There is nothing tricky or delicate about it. Go ahead an open it up and clean it. It is not like you have to drive out every little pin and unscrew everything. Just take enough apart to be able to clean it. Cleaning rod and brushes, tooth brush and Q-tips will get the job done. It is not any more difficult to clean than it is to shoot. Congratulations on the new to you rifle.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Good point on learning my rifle. My problem is that I am a hands on kinda of learner. Maybe if there is someone out there that is willing to teach me or if there are any places that have classes on it, that would possibly work best. But that being said, I have a little extra money and I look at it as a good investment.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Most smiths will have a shop rate of around 40-80 dollars an hour. thats a 2 hour job plus materials which in this case would probably be included in the price, so expect to pay between 80-160 bucks for someone else to do this for you.

I agree with all the above posters.... you are not going to do harm to the rifle by attempting something like this for the first time. Plenty of internet help out there to get it done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom