• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm into the outdoors and I love spending time at parks walking on trails or fishing. Recently I've discovered I enjoy spending time alone at parks or while fishing. However, I worry I might run into some trouble maker or two while alone. That is why I'm thinking of carrying a handgun. I have a license and I have a 9mm Sig Sauer. But my Sig is a little too big to fit in my pocket or tackle bag. I've decided I want a small 38 Special revolver.

I'm not looking for a fancy one with a big name. Anything that is solid and works and can take abuse will do. Any recommendations for a low cost revolver in that caliber? Can they be picked up used at a low price? I'm not interested in 357 Mag/38 Special revolvers. 38 Special is enough for my needs and I don't want to mess with 357 Mag in a small revolver.

Thanks!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My fishing/canoeing/woods/garden revolver:

40e3acb9-834f-408e-bca7-d984ed3883b3_zps24554230.jpg

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My EDC is a Ruger LCR - about the same price and a bit lighter than the 642. Fits in my jeans pocket.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County

I sold an unfired one of these to a friend last week for $200. Mine was the 2-850021UL, no FS designation. They are okay for the price, but he has to send that one back to Taurus because the cylinder locks up. We didn't know that until he fired it. He's still my friend.

A few years ago I bought three model 637's with the exposed hammer, one with a laser grip, and one 638 with the concealed hammer, 2.5" barrel and laser grip. I regret not purchasing all concealed hammers. Their price was almost the same, but I just didn't think about the exposed hammer at the time. A S&W 642 is a nice pocket gun. I know where you can get a deal on an unfired model 637, if you don't mind an exposed hammer.

Last edited:

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    i absolutely LOVE my s&w airweight bodyguard ... about $400 , but after 6 or 8 years together i have nothing bad to say about it ... super-light & shoots str8 ... model 640 or 642 , cant remember w/out looking

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On the low cost end, its tough to beat the Taurus 85. The stainless version would meet your criteria. Bonus if you can find a concealed hammer version. You should be able to find one new for $330 or so, used in the mid to upper $200s depending on age and condition.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll second the Taurus or Charter Arms. Charter has quite a few and they all come at a nice price point. Ditto the Taurus line. Both leave a few bucks left over for ammo and/or range time.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I will have to agree with those that are recommending the 642/442 Smith. I picked a used 442 up a few years ago for much the same reason that you are looking for one now. I think it was around $300 ( at GM, so I am sure that you can find them for even less if you shop around). Originally it was strictly intended as a woods/beater gun that didnt weigh as much as my 1911. Now I have a few different J frames, and tend to have at least one on me or close by, no matter where I am or what else I might be carrying.

My wife even fell in love with the little 38s, and has for the most part switched over to her Ruger LCR for daily carry.

If cheap and goes bang is all you are after, the Charter and Taurus will probably work, but if you want a quality piece that you might even slip into the EDC roll, spend a few extra dollars, and adopt a Smith & Wesson into your family.

Top Bottom