• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmcamp1221

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Southwest Indy. (Camby)
    Could anyone tell me where a good and safe place to hunt is within a 30 min to 1 hour trip from the southwest side of Indy is. I look to hunt deer, rabbit, and squirrel. Thanks for all your help in advance.

kmcamp1221

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Southwest Indy. (Camby)
    I have also heard some good things about Lieber State Rec Area. Is this a good place to go? I am also interested in getting my 6 year old daughter out camping, fishing, and just into the outdoors. Thanks, Kevin

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    You've also got Yellowwood State Forest, Atterbury Wildlife Area and some other areas.

An interactive map for publically acessible hunting areas is found here: http://dnrmaps.dnr.in.gov/apps/indianahuntingareas/

One thing to remember is that the locations on the map are "nominal." The actual areas are quite spread out and may also include many separate pieces of land. You can get maps of the different DNR properties from the DNR for free.

Edit: On looking at it again, I see that the map has changed from the one I used not too long ago. The ability to click on the icons and see the name and some other info about the various properties appears to be broken.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you want safer hunting, learn to bow hunt. You have a LONG season, and if on public land much less of a chance of getting shot.

You highest risk is falling out of a tree stand, always wear a safety harness.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Hey kmcamp 1221, A big thumbs up man for wanting to spend time with her and get her outdoors and learn! She is still a little young yet but you might check and see if your county offers a 4H shooting sports program, this program gets them outdoors on the range and teaches them the safe and proper ways to enjoy the sport of shooting. It is a fantastic program and you can become involved easily as an instructor and work right along with her in this program. This is totally rewarding
    And another thing I found is that people who own large tracts of property will offer it up to you for hunting when they see that you are safe and willing to work with the kids.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    DNR website has some resources on it as well, but I will give a shout-out to my old hunting spot in the Hoosier National Forest. 6000+ acres. I killed my first squirrels there and we killed a couple nice bucks and a few does out of there before moving to the north side of the state (originally from Greenwood). Look into some of those deep hollers down there and you will find plenty of wildlife to hunt.

Top Bottom