Looking for recommendations for airgun for target shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I love airguns and have a .22 pump. I would like to advance to the next lever or two and get something bigger and more accurate.
    I'm very ignorant with air guns, so talk down to me a little.
    Looking for the most accurate airgun I can get with going too crazy on price.
    I've been looking at a FX Impact M3, but I'm still in the information gathering stage.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You are looking at a $2000 level, so don't forget to look at the Target grade of FWB and Walther. Champions Choice in LaVerne, Tennessee is my go to for Pneumatics and small bore target rifles. Good luck.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    I love airguns and have a .22 pump. I would like to advance to the next lever or two and get something bigger and more accurate.
    I'm very ignorant with air guns, so talk down to me a little.
    Looking for the most accurate airgun I can get with going too crazy on price.
    I've been looking at a FX Impact M3, but I'm still in the information gathering stage.
    Two questions:
    1) What type of target shooting are you talking about (25m benchrest, 100m benchrest, field target, 10m Olympic)?

2) What is “too crazy” on price? If you are looking into precharged pnuematics, you’ll need an air filling support system too (either a 4500psi tank and a place to fill it, or a compressor). Don’t forget glass too. No sense putting a cheap scope on a high end rifle.

Check out Brocock, Rapid Air Worx, Daystate, and Air Arms too. FX rifles definitely have a “fanboy” base, and are good, but can be quite finicky too.

My favorite sources for new airguns are Pyramyd Air and Airguns of Arizona.

For more information, join the Airgun Nation forum too.

and FYI the Midwest Airgun show is in Columbus, Ohio on June 1st this year. It’s a great show and I always get some great deals there and talk to some super folks too!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For what purpose? This drives the answer.
    True observation. When I hear small bore target rifle, my mind goes straight to 4 position Olympic style rifles, with precision aperature sights. I even have one of the funny hats with attached side binders and the jacket with all the extra buckles that looks like it is for use in an insane asylum.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Like others have said need more info as to the purpose or main use.
    The M3 you listed is kind of the AR15 of airguns with a big aftermarket and lots of accessories available.
    Also keep in mind that many guns have barrels that you can change for different calibers on the same action if you want a bigger caliber for pest control or hunting and long range stuff. The barrels and conversions are a fraction of the price of a complete gun.
    Several have listed guns above and many of those are excellent but I just went through this process and settled on a Skout
    Epoch and they have a new gun the Evo that is more for PRS style shooting(lighter and smaller for shots in tight positions).
    Skout has been doing well on the benchrest circuit this year.
    I also like the Western airguns line.
    Skout and Western are made in the USA.
    Brocock Ghost was on my short list also.
    Lots of good stuff out there but small market makes prices high but quality is also very high.
    Let us know what you are doing with it and what you decide.

As baranjhn stated above here is a link to the Ohio show in a couple of weeks, I wish I could make it but have previous plans.

55fairlane

Master
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Anschutz is the only answer. Wait until smallbore week and go to camp perry champion choice will be there, with all the target rifles you will ever want.....you need a amazing trigger, perfect balance & wonderful sights. Anschutz is the answer....triggers at light as 3 oz, tunable velocity, amazing balance to the gun,

Wj24

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Jun 11, 2024
    Indianapolis
    On the lower end of things the Sig MCX Virtus is pretty fun, It's a .22 PCP AR style, semi auto, pretty decent accuracy for closer range plinking.

Top Bottom